A nine-year-old Chelsea supporter with special needs and learning difficulties required first aid treatment after Liverpool fans threw a smoke bomb into the away section at Anfield during Sunday’s Premier League match.
Donte Patterson-Stanley had to be taken to the stadium’s first aid area after inhaling the smoke, where paramedics checked him over and immediately put him on a nebuliser to open up his airways.
He had red, itchy and watery eyes and was coughing non-stop as a result. The experience left the youngster ‘confused and anxious’.
Images on Twitter showed plumes of red smoke coming from the away section apparently after Liverpool forward Sadio Mane scored their opening goal in the 2-0 win early in the second half.
Photographs posted on Twitter showed the flare thrown by a Liverpool supporter onto the section of Chelsea fans below
Red smoke could be seen in the Chelsea section after the flare was thrown from above
Donte Patterson-Stanley (right), 9, pictured with mother Frances Stanley on a previous away trip with Chelsea, required medical attention after the smoke bomb landed close to him
Video footage showed the seconds after the flare landed in the Chelsea section
Chelsea fans appeared to throw the smoke canister onto the field to get it away from people
Donte’s mother Frances Stanley told MailOnline: ‘Shortly after the smoke bomb was thrown into the away end, my son’s eyes went quite red and itchy and very watery.
‘He was coughing non-stop and sneezing which he wasn’t doing just beforehand.
‘One of the stewards came over and asked if he was OK and then offered to get one of the paramedics over to have a look at him. They came over straight away then took us to the first aid room.
‘They were a bit concerned about his oxygen levels so proceeded to give him nebuliser to open his airways. It did help as the coughing eased off and he calmed quite a bit.
‘My son has special needs with developmental delays. It was all a bit much for him and with him not understanding what was going on, he became very anxious.’
Ms Stanley, who also attended the game with her 19-year-old daughter Georgia, added: ‘I must say that the stewards and medical staff were fantastic and I honestly couldn’t thank them enough.
‘After they were happy with his oxygen levels, they were happy to let us go so we could get back on the supporters’ coach to get back to London.’
‘Unfortunately he was sick on the coach, which I believe is the after-effects of everything that went on.
‘Thankfully he seems to have made a full recovery.’
A follow-up tweet by the same user who posted the pictures suggested that some Chelsea fans responded by throwing coins back up at the Liverpool fans
Another Twitter user said that a young Chelsea fans needed medical treatment as a result
Flares are lit to greet the arrival of the Liverpool team coach outside Anfield before the match
Pictures posted by Twitter user DJSLD appeared to show the moment immediately after the flare was thrown into the Chelsea section.
They wrote: ‘Safe to say they were fuming when that flare landed on them after Mane’s goal.’
At least one flare appeared to have been thrown from the upper tier of the Anfield Road End onto Chelsea supporters who were housed in the lower tier.
Video of the incident appeared to show Chelsea fans throwing one of the flares onto the pitch to get it out the way.
Other reports on social media said that Chelsea supporters responded to the flare incident by throwing coins back up at the Liverpool fans above them.
Liverpool returned to the top of the Premier League with a 2-0 victory thanks to goals by Mane and Mohamed Salah.
It is illegal to enter a football stadium while in possession of a flare, smoke bomb or firework and anyone caught with one could face three months in prison.