A new isolation order has been imposed for people in NSW who have visited Greater Melbourne in the last two weeks.
Anyone who has been in the area since June 24 must immediately enter 14 days of home self-isolation, irrespective of when they returned to NSW, Nine News reports.
The order comes as NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Thursday foreshadowed a tightening of coronavirus restrictions, following the horror second wave of COVID-19 cases across the border.
‘It doesn’t take very long for things to escalate quickly,’ she said.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said on Thursday that the risk of contagion in NSW is ‘very high’
‘And it doesn’t take very long for that rate of community transmission to increase and so all of us have to be on high alert.’
Nine political reporter Chris O’Keefe, who broke the news on Thursday night’s bulletin, said the new measure could potentially affect ‘tens of thousands of people’ who have recently returned to NSW from Victoria.
The regulation will also impact AFL teams who have travelled between the neighbouring states for matches, creating a ‘chaotic situation’ for the league.
Earlier on Thursday, the Premier said while the rate of community transmission remains low, there was no reason to tighten social-distancing restrictions among the majority of NSW residents.
However, she said it could take weeks to determine if ‘potential seeding that may have occurred in those border communities and also throughout other parts of New South Wales’ has crossed from Victoria into her state.
‘I do want everybody to feel on high alert,’ the Premier said.
‘Because if we do get results, if the data starts changing and we need to act quickly.
‘I want people to know that for the next two to three weeks in particular, all of us have to be on high alert.’
The VIC and NSW border closed on Tuesday in a bid to prevent the second wave of COVID-19 in Melbourne from spilling over into the neighbouring state. Police are pictured stopping and questioning drivers at a checkpoint on July 8 in Albury