Bat bites toddler, two, as he sleeps in his cot in Hull

A mother was left ‘terrified’ after her toddler was bitten by a bat as he lay sleeping in his cot.

Kian Mallinson, two, from Hull, was attacked by the creature at 2am and screamed so loud he woke his mother Jodie Smith.

The 29-year-old originally assumed Kian had a stomach ache. As Kian continued to scream and point at the door, she brought him to sleep with her.

She recalled: ‘He was stood at the end of his cot, crying and screaming. He’s not talking yet so he couldn’t tell me what was wrong.’

It was only the next morning that Miss Smith noticed three small marks on Kian’s arm.

Experts confirmed the toddler was bitten by the UK¿s most common breed, a pipistrelle bat (pictured), which has a 9 inch wing span

Experts confirmed the toddler was bitten by the UK¿s most common breed, a pipistrelle bat (pictured), which has a 9 inch wing span

Experts confirmed the toddler was bitten by the UK’s most common breed, a pipistrelle bat (pictured), which has a 9 inch wing span

Miss Smith then was confronted with the creature after dislodging the bat from Kian’s cot while making the bed.

She added: ‘As I made his bed I flicked the duvet up.

‘The bat flicked out and started crawling across his bedroom floor. I was terrified. I thought it was a tarantula at first. I’ve never screamed so loudly.’

It took Miss Smith’s partner, Jack Mallinson, 30, poking it with a coathanger to realise that what was creeping across their child’s floor was a bat.

Miss Smith said: ‘We picked it up, put it in a tub and put it outside.’

Experts confirmed the toddler was bitten by the UK’s most common breed, a pipistrelle bat, which has a 9 inch wing span.

The morning after the attacked, Kian was rushed to Leeds General Infirmary for a precautionary rabies jab at the advice of his GP.

Miss Smith, a mum of two, said: ‘Kian has always been in the wars. He was born prematurely which gave us a scare from the beginning.

‘He’s my little miracle so as soon as I heard the word rabies I was terrified. That’s when panic set in.’

Miss Smith said that while Kian is still nervous still sleeping in his bed at night, he is now proudly recovering in a Batman tshirt. He has three more injections to follow.

‘We’ve got no idea how the bat ended up in his room,’ Miss Smith said.

‘The window had been open earlier in the day so it’s possible it was in there when we put him to bed. It’s also possible it flew in through the bathroom window which was open.

‘We think it might have been ill or disorientated when it came in. We can’t believe it really happened.’

The bat died hours after being caught and was sent for tests. No rabies has been recorded in the pipistrelle breed.

A spokesman for the Bats Conservation Trust said: ‘They don’t want to enter the living areas of people’s homes but it does happen by accident occasionally.’

The first recorded fatality caused by a bat bite was 52-year-old Scot David McRae contracted rabies in 2002.

link

(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply