BOURNEMOUTH Beach has been voted the best beach in the UK in 2019’s TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Awards.
The famous beach in Dorset also came sixth in Europe and is among the top 20 in the world.
It beat a number of other popular beaches thanks to its rave reviews on TripAdvisor over the last 12 months.
It’s the best beach in the UK for the second year running and 20th in the world this year.
Other top beaches around the country include Luskentyre in Scotland and St. Brelade’s Bay Beach in Jersey.
Wales’ beaches are featured in the top ten three times, with Barafundle Beach, Rhossili Bay and Newborough Beach all included.
TripAdvisor also revealed some of the best beaches around the world.
Read on to find out more about the top ten UK beaches and the top global performers…
1. Bournemouth Beach, Dorset, England
With seven miles of sandy shores, this iconic stretch of coastline is popular with tourists flocking to the area for its beautiful beach huts and view of the Isle of Wight.
It is also lucky enough to have its own micro-climate, which means it has some of the warmest waters in the UK.
2. Luskentyre, Isle of Harris, Scotland
As one of the largest beaches in Scotland, Luskentyre Beach has held second place in the UK for two years running.
The beach is rarely busy thanks to its remote location, with cyclists and hikers being its most frequent visitors.
3. St. Brelade’s Bay Beach, St Brelade, Jersey
On the south-west coast of Jersey lies St Brelade’s Bay, one of the most common beauty spots to visit on a trip to the island.
With a number of restaurants and water sports on offer, many families visit the beach during the summer months.
4. Woolacombe Beach, Devon, England
The beach, located in the seaside resort of Woolacombe, boasts three miles of sand and is regularly voted one of the best beaches and coastlines in the country.
For a quieter experience, visitor numbers drop to around 1,000 people in the winter compared to the summer peak season.
5. Barafundle Beach, Stackpole, Wales
The remote Barafundle Beach in Wales can only be accessed by foot, half a mile from the car park.
Having no facilities such as cafes or toilets, the Welsh beach is one of the most off-the-beaten-track locations.
TripAdvisor's best beaches in Europe 2019
1. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
2. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Sicily, Italy
3. Falesia Beach, Olhos de Agua, Portugal
4. Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
5. Balos Beach and Lagoon, Kissamos, Crete, Greece
6. Bournemouth Beach, Bournemouth, Dorset
7. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
8. Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
9. Cala Rossa, Isola di Favignana, Sicily, Italy
10. Playa de Muro Beach, Playa de Muro, Majorca, Spain
6. Filey Beach, Yorkshire, England
With more than five miles of sand to enjoy, the Yorkshire beach rarely feels busy.
It is also dog-friendly all year around so animal lovers can take their pets on the walk with them.
7. Rhossili Bay, Rhossili, Wales
Rhossili Bay is known to many thanks to its appearances on screen, having regularly been used as a filming location.
The beach has been seen in Doctor Who, Britannia and Lloyds Bank adverts.
8. Gorleston Beach, Norfolk, England
Gorleston Beach in Norfolk offers enough to keep the family occupied with an arcade, fish and chip shop, ice cream stand and a long promenade popular with cyclists and rollerbladers.
There are also beach hunts for rent, although they don’t come cheap – with some costing approximately £20,000.
9. Perranporth Beach, Cornwall, England
Paddle-boarding, surfing, snorkelling and sailing are just some of the popular activities on Perranporth Beach.
It is the only Cornish beach to make the list, and those hoping to see it for themselves will need to make the long journey down to Truro train station.
10. Newborough Beach, Dwyran, Anglesey, Wales
A popular walk to Newborough Beach is through Newborough Forest, where visitors emerge to a view of Snowdonia.
While it costs £5 to enter, many reviews of the beach revealed the quietness and cleanness made the beach one of the best.
TripAdvisor's best beaches around the world 2019
1. Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
2. Varadero Beach, Varadero, Cuba
3. Eagle Beach, Palm – Eagle Beach, Aruba
4. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
5. Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
6. Clearwater Beach, Florida, United States
7. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Sicily, Italy
8. Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach, Cayman Islands
9. Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
10.Seven Mile Beach, Negril, Jamaica, Caribbean
Most read in travel
Giant’s Causeway and Wales’ Three Cliffs made the Top 100 beaches in the world last year, according to Flight Network.
Brits looking for a beach break without the crowds should head to some of the lesser-known stretches of sand in the world.
Ras Al Khaimah in the UAE is just outside of Dubai with temperatures of 25 degrees without the tourists.