Covid deaths fall to lowest in SIX months as UK records 10 fatalities and 3,423 new infections 

Covid deaths have fallen to the lowest in six months as the UK records 10 fatalities and and infections drop by 27% in a week to 3,423.

The Government said a further 10 people had died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19 as of Saturday, bringing the UK total to 126,826.

Separate figures published by the UK’s statistics agencies show there have been 150,000 deaths registered in the UK where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate.

The Government also said that, as of 9am on Saturday, there had been a further 3,423 lab-confirmed cases in the UK. It brings the total to 4,357,091.

Between 28 March 2021 and 3 April 2021, 27,912 people had a confirmed positive test result. This shows a decrease of 28.3% compared to the previous 7 days. 

A further 10 people had died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19 as of Saturday, bringing the UK total to 126,826. Picture: File image

A further 10 people had died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19 as of Saturday, bringing the UK total to 126,826. Picture: File image

A further 10 people had died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19 as of Saturday, bringing the UK total to 126,826. Picture: File image

There were 10 deaths within 28 days of a positive test for coronavirus reported on 3 April 2021.

Between 28 March 2021 and 3 April 2021, there have been 254 deaths within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test. This shows a decrease of 43.7% compared to the previous 7 days. 

Numbers for cases and deaths over Easter will be affected by incomplete data plus a longer than usual lag in reporting.

First doses of vaccinations have now been administered to 31,425,682 people and 5,205,505 have received a second dose.   

As of March 31, 1,266,685 Covid tests were reported, a decrease of 17.9% compared to the previous 7 days. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: ‘We’ve reached another milestone in our vaccination programme with over five million people now having had their second jab.

‘I urge everyone to take up their second dose as soon as they are offered it.’

It comes as fears emerged that patients could wait two years for vital operations because of the ‘truly frightening’ backlog caused by the Covid pandemic, the former boss of the NHS has warned. 

Sir David Nicholson warned No10 increasing delays to surgery pose a risk to patients’ health and will become a massive political problem over the next few years. 

Former NHS CEO Sir David Nicholson warned patients could wait two years for vital operation because of the 'truly frightening' backlog caused by the Covid pandemic

Former NHS CEO Sir David Nicholson warned patients could wait two years for vital operation because of the 'truly frightening' backlog caused by the Covid pandemic

Former NHS CEO Sir David Nicholson warned patients could wait two years for vital operation because of the ‘truly frightening’ backlog caused by the Covid pandemic

Record number of people (28,000) in January faced waits of more than two weeks to see a cancer specialist after being told they might have the disease

Record number of people (28,000) in January faced waits of more than two weeks to see a cancer specialist after being told they might have the disease

Record number of people (28,000) in January faced waits of more than two weeks to see a cancer specialist after being told they might have the disease

A record 4.59million people in England are waiting for treatment as a result of hospitals having to prioritise Covid patients.

And the NHS Confederation believes there could be as many as 6.9million people on the ‘hidden waiting list’ by the end of the year.

The startling figures come as Britain continue to emerge from the depths of the pandemic, with the UK’s daily coronavirus cases almost halving in a week yesterday to the lowest level in almost seven months.

Department of Health bosses posted another 3,402 positive tests. It is the fewest infections reported in a 24-hour period since September 17 (3,395), before the second wave spiralled. 

Officials also saw 52 more deaths, down 26 per cent on last Friday’s figure. 

It comes as: 

  • British holidaymakers could be allowed to visit the Caribbean islands in as little as six weeks as Boris Johnson prepares to open up travel to countries with the best vaccination rates 
  • Hundreds gathered in street parties as Britain recorded the lowest number of Covid cases since September 
  • Pakistan, Kenya, Bangladesh and the Philippines are put on Britain’s travel ‘red list’ but not for seven days
  • Boris Johnson offers to set a ‘time limit’ on vaccine certificates to answer critics’ fears on civil liberties
  • Vaccine centres are urged to make the most of Easter weekend by critics who warn ‘the virus doesn’t sleep’
  • Care home residents will be allowed to have two visitors from April 12 enabling to see their grandchildren

Sir David told the Guardian the backlogs caused by the pandemic represent a greater threat to the NHS than privatisation.

He said: ‘The backlog is truly frightening. We can very easily get to the next election with people waiting over two years. It’s easy to do that.

Care home residents will be allowed to have two visitors from April 12 

Care home residents will be reunited with more loved ones in a major easing of restrictions.

Lockdown rules will be relaxed so they can have two regular visitors from Monday, April 12, instead of the current one.

Residents will be able to meet two nominated relatives or friends indoors and hold hands but the guests will have to wear PPE and be tested in advance.

Babies and very young children will also be able to join in for the first time without being counted as one of the visitors.

It means some grandparents and great-grandparents will be able to meet the newest members of their families for the first time.

Care minister Helen Whately said: ‘We want to go further… and our aim is to make visiting to care homes as normal as possible by the summer.’

The Daily Mail has been campaigning for an end to cruel visiting bans that have seen some residents separated from loved ones for longer than a year.

New guidance came into force on March 8 stating all residents should be allowed indoor visits with one designated relative or friend.

But campaigners have warned there has been a cruel lottery with some care home bosses still refusing to let visits take place. 

Advertisement

‘The whole issue of access [to care] is a greater threat to the NHS than privatisation because poor access undermines confidence amongst those people who fund the service – taxpayers.’

He said the NHS is now struggling to give people who need urgent cancer or heart surgery their procedure within 28 days for the first time in its history.

Sir David — who was CEO of the NHS from 2006 to 2014 before Sir Simon Stevens took over — said these ‘priority two’ patients need to be operated on or risk their health deteriorating rapidly.

He said: ‘Even the waiting list problems that I dealt with in my career, we’ve never had that problem, of people who need treatment within 28 days or they will deteriorate. That’s a big, big, big issue.’

Data shows there are now 304,044 people waiting at least a year for surgery — up from just 1,613 before the pandemic. 

The NHS Constitution requires 92 per cent of people waiting are meant to be treated within 18 weeks but a third of patients have already waited longer than that. 

Professor Neil Mortensen, the president of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, echoed Sir David’s words, saying the country ‘desperately needs a clear and well-funded plan to deal with the backlog’.

It comes after One Cancer Voice, a coalition of 47 cancer charities, warned cancer deaths will rise for the first time in decades unless urgent action is taken to tackle the backlog. 

The charities argued more money and staff are desperately needed to address problems stemming from the pandemic.

The charities — speaking collectively for the first time — also asked for the NHS to be given greater access to private facilities.

They said almost 45,000 UK patients ‘living with cancer without knowing it’ should have started treatment in 2020 but did not due to delays caused by coronavirus.

Cancer experts last month praised the charities for raising awareness of ‘the biggest crisis in oncology’ seen in more than 50 years.

Official data released showed cancer waiting times have spiked during the pandemic because hospital staff and surgeries have been preoccupied with coronavirus patients.

The proportion of suspected patients seen by a specialist within the two-week target hit a record-low of 83 per cent in January, NHS England said. 

PHE data showed that a quarter of council authorities in England - or 41 out of 149 - saw a rise in Covid cases last week, with the upticks likely being driven by school children

PHE data showed that a quarter of council authorities in England - or 41 out of 149 - saw a rise in Covid cases last week, with the upticks likely being driven by school children

PHE data showed that a quarter of council authorities in England – or 41 out of 149 – saw a rise in Covid cases last week, with the upticks likely being driven by school children

Coronavirus cases are surging again in France, Germany and Spain as the Kent variant triggers a 'new epidemic' there and vaccinations are not as widespread as in the UK

Coronavirus cases are surging again in France, Germany and Spain as the Kent variant triggers a 'new epidemic' there and vaccinations are not as widespread as in the UK

Coronavirus cases are surging again in France, Germany and Spain as the Kent variant triggers a ‘new epidemic’ there and vaccinations are not as widespread as in the UK

It means nearly 30,000 people with suspected cancer waited more than a fortnight to find out whether or not they had the disease in January. Early treatment and diagnosis is crucial in preventing the disease spreading and becoming deadly. 

And the pandemic has led to an increase in the proportion of patients waiting more than a month to start crucial cancer treatment after their diagnosis.

Michelle Mitchell, the head of Cancer Research UK, which leads One Cancer Voice, told BBC 1’s Newsbeat: ‘We are calling on the government to invest more money in ensuring the backlog of cancer cases is reduced and eliminated.

‘We’re very worried that if you’re diagnosed later, your survival prospects are lower, so we could face the prospect of cancer survival reducing for the first time in decades. 

‘That’s why urgent action is required by the government.’

Boris Johnson welcomes another vaccine milestone as more than FIVE MILLION Britons receive their second dose 

Boris Johnson has welcomed another vaccine milestone as more than five million Britons have received their second dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

The total number of people given one jab is now at 31.4million, while the figure for second doses stands at 5,205,505.

Mr Johnson today tweeted: ‘We’ve reached another milestone in our vaccination programme with over 5 million people now having had their second jab. 

‘I urge everyone to take up their second dose as soon as they are offered it.’ 

Second doses are being prioritised in April amid a warning that vaccine supplies will fall.

The total number of people given one jab is now at 31.4million, while the figure for second doses stands at 5,205,505. Pictured, Boris Johnson welcomed the milestone

The total number of people given one jab is now at 31.4million, while the figure for second doses stands at 5,205,505. Pictured, Boris Johnson welcomed the milestone

The total number of people given one jab is now at 31.4million, while the figure for second doses stands at 5,205,505. Pictured, Boris Johnson welcomed the milestone

But the government has said it is still on course to offer all adults in the UK a first jab by the end of July.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock tweeted: ‘I’m delighted that 50% of over-80s have now had their second jab.

‘Thank you to everyone involved in rolling-out the vaccine across the whole UK.’ 

Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi added: ‘5.2m second doses, our focus is making sure the most vulnerable groups 1-9 get their second doses. That is 99% of mortality.’

He said: ‘Vaccines are an incredibly important part of our route out of lockdown and this pandemic, and it’s vital people take advantage of the protection they provide.

‘No matter who you are, where you live, your race or your religion, I encourage everyone to take up both their vaccinations when offered and help this country get back to normality.’

Dr Nikki Kanani, GP and medical director for primary care at NHS England, praised the ‘tens of thousands of volunteers’ for the success of the vaccine rollout.

She said: ‘The biggest vaccination programme in NHS history – the fastest in Europe – reaches another significant milestone as more than five million people have now received their second dose providing them with the strongest possible protection from serious disease.

‘This success is testament to the tens of thousands of volunteers, everyone working behind the scenes and NHS GPs, nurses and vaccinators who are continuing to offer vaccines to all those who are eligible – so please do come forward for your second dose when called.’

Mr Johnson today tweeted: 'We've reached another milestone in our vaccination programme with over 5 million people now having had their second jab'

Mr Johnson today tweeted: 'We've reached another milestone in our vaccination programme with over 5 million people now having had their second jab'

Mr Johnson today tweeted: ‘We’ve reached another milestone in our vaccination programme with over 5 million people now having had their second jab’

The Department for Health and Social Care said nearly one in 10 of all UK adults have received both doses of a coronavirus vaccine, after the number of people receiving their second jab passed five million.

Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said: ‘Our spectacular vaccination programme has now delivered over five million second doses, giving those most vulnerable to Covid – including half of all those aged over 80 – the best possible protection.

‘This is vital so everyone can get the strongest possible protection against Covid-19 as we progress along the road to freedom, allowing us to reclaim the things we love.

‘I want to give a big thank you to all those who have helped us reach this milestone.’

It comes after it was revealed the Prime Minister will give the green light on Monday to the development of a system of ‘vaccine certification’ as he looks to reinvigorate the economy.

Ministers believe the scheme may be essential in reopening venues such as theatres and stadiums which rely on large crowds.

But the idea of creating a new ‘Checkpoint Britain’ has led to a fierce cross-party backlash, with 72 MPs signing a pledge to oppose the ‘divisive and discriminatory’ scheme.

There was also a huge outcry over the plans, with a litany of critics branding the idea as oppressive.

The policy was even criticised by a Government adviser, with Professor Robert West warning they would give people a false sense of security. 

The scale of the opposition presents a potential major problem for Mr Johnson if the plans require primary legislation to enact them.

A Whitehall source told the Mail ministers would try to win round furious Tory MPs by reassuring them that any new passport scheme would be temporary.

While no decision has been taken on how long any scheme should last, the source said it was likely to be no more than a year.

‘It will be time-limited and I think the duration of the scheme will be measured in months,’ the source said. 

‘The party will not wear any longer.’ 

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden defended the idea of so-called ‘Covid status certification’, saying it could help people get back to ‘doing the things they love’, such as going to the theatre or attending live concerts and sports events.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock tweeted: 'I'm delighted that 50% of over-80s have now had their second jab'

Health Secretary Matt Hancock tweeted: 'I'm delighted that 50% of over-80s have now had their second jab'

Health Secretary Matt Hancock tweeted: ‘I’m delighted that 50% of over-80s have now had their second jab’

Ministers are hoping to pilot the use of vaccine passports at major events within weeks, with the FA Cup final and the World Snooker Championship among those being considered for trials. 

Mr Dowden stressed that vaccine status is only one element of the scheme, with people also able to show a negative Covid test or prove they have already had the virus to gain entry.He told the BBC: ‘This is not about a vaccine passport, this is about looking at ways of proving that you are Covid secure, whether you have had a test or had the vaccine. Clearly, no decisions have been made on that, because we have to weigh up different factors, the ethical considerations and so on, but it may be a way of ensuring we can get more people back doing the things they love.’  

Advertisement

link

(Visited 116 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply