Cristiano Ronaldo’s DNA was matched to evidence in the Las Vegas rape case and he told his lawyers his accuser had told him to ‘stop,’ leaked emails claim.
In a tranche of emails between police and prosecutors during the investigation, detective Jeffrey Guyer wrote: ‘DNA is back and is a match,’ The Sun reported.
The footballer, 34, was told in July he would not face criminal charges after former model Kathryn Mayorga claimed she was raped by him in 2009 in a Vegas suite.
According to The Sun, leaked emails also show that Ronaldo told his legal team Ms Mayorga had said ‘no’ and ‘stop.’
Cristiano Ronaldo (left) was told in July he would not face criminal charges after former model Kathryn Mayorga (right) claimed she was raped by him in 2009 in a Las Vegas suite
American model-turned-teacher Ms Mayorga claimed Ronaldo had raped her in the Hotel Palms Place after they met on a night out and she agreed to go back to his room.
While police failed to find enough evidence to prosecute Ronaldo, Ms Mayorga was earlier this year pressing ahead with a civil case which seeks to nullify a non-disclosure agreement she signed with the athlete in 2010.
Police announced they will not press criminal charges against Ronaldo (pictured with Mayorga on the night in question) in July, but he still faces a civil lawsuit
She claims his legal team exploited her vulnerable mental state in order to get her to sign the document.
In court papers filed earlier this year, Ronaldo’s legal team acknowledged for the first time that Ms Mayorga was paid $375,000 (£290,000) at the time she first made the accusations to police in order ‘to maintain the confidentiality of their dispute.’
However, they note that the payment in no way acknowledges guilt, and that in fact ‘the [agreement] made clear Mr. Ronaldo disputed [Mayorga’s] allegations and in no way conceded she was injured.
‘To the contrary, the [agreement] stated in no uncertain terms that Mr. Ronaldo was agreeing to pay [Mayorga] a sum of money in order to maintain the confidentiality of their dispute.’
Last year Ronaldo said: ‘I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything I am and believe in.’
Ronaldo’s girlfriend, 25-year-old Spanish model Georgina Rodriguez, stood by him throughout the claims.
The civil lawsuit, in which Mayorga sought more than $200,000 (£150,000) in damages, had been moved to federal court.
Ronaldo and his girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez who stayed by his side throughout the allegations
Police could not conduct ‘any meaningful investigation’ at the time because Ms Mayorga declined to say who assaulted her or where it occurred, U.S. prosecutors said.
As a result, detectives were ‘unable to search for and impound vital forensic evidence,’ and video showing Ronaldo and Mayorga together was lost, they added.
Mayorga contacted police in August of last year to ask that the case be reopened, at which point she named Ronaldo as the alleged assailant.
Her lawyers have said she was inspired to speak out and make her claim public by the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment.
Ronaldo left Real Madrid in 2018 after nine seasons with the club, joining Italian champions Juventus.
Ronaldo in action for Juventus against Bologna in Turin on Saturday night
While in Spain he became Real Madrid’s highest ever goalscorer, netting 451 times after joining from Manchester United for a then-world record £80million in 2009.
He helped Real win three consecutive Champions League titles in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Ronaldo is also Portugal’s most-capped player, with 158 appearances, and record goalscorer, with 88.