Three young children were confirmed among the dead of the Surfside condo collapse as the official death toll rose to 94 on Monday morning, and Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said it was becoming increasingly difficult to identify the human remains found in the rubble.
Of the 94 bodies found, 83 have been officially identified and next of kin informed, and 22 people remain ‘potentially unaccounted’.
Ten more victims of the deadly collapse were named, including three of the youngest at ages 5, 6 and 9.
As of Sunday, at least 15 lawsuits have been filed in connection with the condo collapse.
Officials announced that the body of five-year-old Lorenzo De Oliveira Leone was found along with his father Alfredo, 48.
Also identified were sisters Anna Sophia Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 6, and Alexia Maria Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 9.
The girls were the daughters of Sophia Lopez Moreira, the sister of Paraguay’s first lady, and were the last remaining members of their family to be identified.
Their mother; father, Luis Pettengill; and housekeeper Leidy Vanessa Luna Villalba were recovered and identified on Thursday.
Their brother, three-year-old Luis Vicente Pettengill Lopez Moreira III was the youngest victim of the tragedy, and was identified on Friday.
Sisters Alexia Maria Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 9, (far left) and Anna Sophia Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 6, (far right) were among the 10 victims of the collapse named on Sunday. They were the daughters of Sophia López Moreira and her husband Luis Pettengill, and sister to three-year-old Luis Vicente Pettengill Lopez Moreira III. The whole family perished in the collapse
Sophia López Moreira with her daughters. They lived on the 10th floor of the condo
Alfredo and his son Lorenzo Leone were among the victims identified Sunday
The family lived together in an apartment on the 10th floor of the condo. Moreira is the sister of President Mario Abdo Benítez’s wife Silvana.
The body of Julio Cesar Velasquez, 66, was also identified. His wife Angela Velasquez, 60, was confirmed among the victims last week.
The other victims named Sunday were Richard Augustine, 77; Edgar Gonzalez, 42; Luis Sadovnic, 28; Maria Gabriela Camou Font, 64; and Maria Torre, 76.
The victim identification process is being carried out at the site of the collapse, with police and scientists from the county medical examiner’s office comparing DNA from recovered human remains to that of the families of those missing.
Police and medical examiner teams were continuing to work around the clock to identify victims, but Mayor Levine Cava said ‘the process of making identifications has become more difficult as time goes on.’
‘At this step of the recovery process we must rely heavily on the work of the medical examiner’s office,’ she explained. ‘They are undertaking technical and scientific processes to identify the human remains. The process is very methodical, careful and it does take time.’
Authorities searching for victims of a deadly collapse in Florida said they hope to conclude their painstaking work in the coming weeks, as a team of first responders from Israel departed the site.
Crews continued to search the remaining pile of rubble, peeling layer after layer of debris in search of bodies. The unrelenting search has resulted in the recovery of over 14 million pounds of concrete and debris, Levine Cava said.
Julio Cesar Velasquez, 66, was also identified Sunday. He is pictured with his wife Angela Velasquez, 60, who was identified last week
Edgar Gonzalez, 42, (left) and Luis Sadovnic, 28, (right) were also among the victims named Sunday
Police also named Maria Torre, 76. She is pictured with her husband Gonzalo, who was identified on July 3
Chicago native Richard Augustine, was also among the 10 victims named Sunday
Julio Cesar Velasquez, 66, was also identified. His wife Angela Velasquez, 60, (also pictured) was confirmed among the victims last week
Officials announced that the toll from the Miami condo collapse had risen to 94 deaths, with 83 victims identified Monday morning
Ten more victims of the deadly collapse were named, including three of the youngest at ages 5, 6 and 9.
Miami-Dade Fire Chief Alan Cominsky said it was uncertain when recovery operations would be completed because it remains hard to know when the final body would be found.
When the recovery phase began Wednesday, officials were hoping it could be done within three weeks. In an interview Sunday morning near the site, Cominsky said it might now be as few as two weeks, based on the current pace of work.
‘We were looking at a 14-day to 21-day timeframe,’ he said, adding that the timeline remained ‘a sliding scale.’
Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett stressed the care that rescue workers are taking in peeling back layers of rubble in hopes of recovering not only bodies but also possessions of the victims. He said the work is so delicate that crews have found unbroken wine bottles amid the rubble.
‘It doesn´t get any less difficult and finding victims, that experience doesn’t change for our search and rescue folks,’ he said. ‘It takes a toll, but you´ve got to love the heart that they´re putting into this and we´re very grateful.’
As of Sunday, at least 15 lawsuits have been filed in connection with the condo collapse amid allegations that the disaster was foreseeable.
The condo association has been accused of ignoring a 2018 report by structural engineers who cited widespread damage, with some lawsuits saying they are guilty of negligence resulting in wrongful death.
Search and Rescue teams continue to look for bodies in the rubble at the site of the 12-story oceanfront Champlain Towers South
Miami-Dade Fire Chief Alan Cominsky said it was uncertain when recovery operations would be completed
Owners of units in the condo building were just days away from a deadline to start making steep payments toward more than $9 million in major repairs that had been recommended nearly three years earlier.
That cost estimate, from the Morabito Consultants engineering firm in 2018, meant owners at Champlain Towers South were facing payments of anywhere from $80,000 for a one-bedroom unit to $330,000 or so for a penthouse, to be paid all at once or in installments. Their first deadline was July 1.
One resident whose apartment was spared, Adalberto Aguero, had just taken out a loan to cover his $80,000 bill.
Multiple investigations are under way to determine the cause of the sudden collapse, though preliminary findings show the building’s structure appeared degraded in spots.
Authorities are launching a grand jury investigation into the collapse.
A 2018 report released by city officials revealed fears of ‘major structural damage’ in the complex, from the concrete slab under the pool deck to columns and beams in the parking garage.
On Saturday night, members of the community walked along Collins Avenue, the city’s main thoroughfare, to pay tribute to the crews that have come from across the country – and as far as Israel and Mexico – to help in the rescue, and now recovery, effort.
The Israeli search and rescue team arrived in South Florida shortly after the building collapsed on June 24 and was heading home Sunday.
Members of the crews that have been searching the site 24 hours a day since the collapse lined both sides of the street, shaking hands and bidding farewell to the Israeli team.
The Israeli team joined other task forces from around the United States to assist first responders from Miami and Miami-Dade County, working in 12-hour shifts.
They have searched through South Florida’s intense summer heat, and in pouring rain, pausing only when lightning was spotted nearby.
They also paused operations as officials made plans to demolish the still-standing portion of the condo tower on July 4.
The Israeli team used blueprints of the building to create detailed 3D images of the disaster site to aid in the search.
They also gathered information from families of the missing, many of whom were Jewish, to build a room-by-room model laying out where people would have been sleeping during the pre-dawn collapse.
Members of the Israeli search and rescue team (picture), whom had come to assist in the efforts headed home Sunday
Search and rescue teams have been working on site since shortly after the June 24 collapse
Levina Cava said the memorial walk on Saturday night was ‘a beautiful moment.’ She gave the keys to the county to the Israeli commander and colonel – her first two handed out as mayor.
Four teams from Florida, Indiana and Pennsylvania are still dedicated to the recovery effort, Cominsky said. Teams from Virginia, New Jersey and Ohio are preparing to leave.
‘To give you an answer when we feel we’ll recover everyone, I can´t give you an exact date,’ the fire chief said. ‘We’re doing everything that we can – everything possible – until we feel that we´ve delayered every floor.
As the recovery effort continues, footage emerged this weekend shot by a prospective buyer which showed cracks and puddles in the Surfside condo building in Miami a year before it collapsed.
The video, which was shared with DailyMail.com, was taken in the garage of the Champlain Towers South building in July last year.
Fiorella Terenzi, who had toured the complex in anticipation of buying a unit on the sixth floor, said what she saw in the garage ultimately turned her off buying in the building.
Terenzi’s video showed wide cracks in the ceiling of the garage that appeared to have been repaired and painted over.
It also showed what appeared to be water puddles in the ceiling.
The video was taken by prospective buyer Fiorella Terenzi in the garage of the Champlain Towers South building in Surfside in July last year
Terenzi, who had toured the complex in anticipation of buying a unit on the sixth floor, said what she saw in the garage ultimately turned her off buying in the building
Several engineers reviewed Terenzi’s video and determined there were no obvious red flags that could have pointed to the building collapsing some 12 months later, according to the Miami Herald.
The parking garage that Terenzi filmed is the same one in which an engineer flagged in a 2018 report as having ‘major structural damage’ to the pool deck area and underground parking garage.
The engineering report from the firm of Morabito Consultants did not warn of imminent danger from the damage.
It did, however, note the need for extensive and costly repairs to fix the systemic issues with Champlain Towers South.
Investigators, who have been at the site since the building collapsed on June 24, are still working to determine how it collapsed.
It has previously been suggested that existing damage to a ground-floor pool deck and, or, concrete cracking throughout the building could potentially be behind the collapse.
Structural engineers have warned, however, that the investigation into the cause will be long-term given they have been limited so far because the rescue operation is ongoing.
There are now also fears survivors and first responders could develop cancer due to potentially hazardous dust floating in the area
Meanwhile, there are now also fears survivors and first responders could develop cancer due to potentially hazardous dust floating in the area.
Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett told local reporters Saturday that ‘huge amount’ of dust had been kicked up in the area.
Air samples collected by Local 10 News show ‘hazardous air quality’ in and around the debris.
According to the website, ‘materials [from the site] released into the air… can lead to cancer and respiratory disease’, as happened to hundreds of survivors and first responders following the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
‘We will probably never know everything we’ve been exposed to out there,’ Billy McAlister, the president of Metropolitan Dade County Local 1403 Firefighters old Local 10.
McAlister said he and his team had been in contact with medical experts who run the World Trade Center Respiratory Health Initiative to try and employ tactics to mitigate exposure to hazardous air.
First responders are required to wear P100 masks, but recovery shifts can stretch on for 12 hours at a time, meaning there’s no telling the true levels of exposure.
‘It is the unknown. We don’t know what we don’t know,’ McAllister stated.
Boy, 15, suffered ‘devastating injuries’ when his Miami condo collapsed, killing his mother, while they were sitting together in his bedroom, lawsuit reveals
A 15-year-old boy who miraculously survived the Miami condo collapse was sitting in his bedroom next to his mother when the building gave way and she was killed, according to a lawsuit filed by the family.
Jonah Handler was found alive hours after the 12-story oceanfront building collapsed on June 24,.
His mother, Stacie Fang, 54, died after she was rushed to the hospital.
‘They free-fell to what they thought was certain death,’ the lawsuit filed on July 8 in Miami-Dade County’s 11th Judicial Circuit Court states.
The legal action names as a defendant the Champlain Towers South Condominium Association. It was filed by Stacie’s brother, Kevin Fang, and Jonah’s father, Neil Handler.
Jonah Handler was found alive hours after the 12-story oceanfront building collapsed, though his mother, Stacie Fang, 54, died after she was rushed to the hospital
Dramatic images show first responders pull Jonah out of the rubble hours after the building collapsed
The lawsuit is just one of 15 that have been filed in connection with the condo collapse.
‘Stacie and Jonah landed several floors below and miraculously were still alive,’ according to the lawsuit.
Rescue crews who responded to the scene pried Jonah out of the rubble using Air Jacks.
‘Jonah lived, but with devastating injuries,’ according to the court papers. ‘Tragically, his mother was killed.
According to the lawsuit, Jonah was left ‘physically, emotionally, and psychologically permanently injured.’
The lawsuit accuses the condo association of ignoring a 2018 report by structural engineers who cited widespread damage.
‘They free-fell to what they thought was certain death,’ according to the lawsuit which was filed on July 8 in Miami-Dade County’s 11th Judicial Circuit Court
The legal action names as a defendant the Champlain Towers South Condominium Association. The suit was filed by Stacie’s brother, Kevin Fang, and Jonah’s father, Neil Handler
The lawsuit accuses the condo association of ignoring a 2018 report by structural engineers who cited widespread damage
The lawsuit alleges that the condo association is guilty of negligence resulting in wrongful death. It is seeking in excess of $30,000.
Jonah was pulled from the wreckage by first responders along with the help of man who was walking his dog just as the building came down, Nicholas Balboa.
Describing the moment he spotted Jonah, Balboa said it appeared the boy was sleeping when the building came down.
‘There was a bed frame and a mattress that were laying above him, so I could only assume that that was his bed, judging by the size of the mattress,’ Balboa told Local10 .
‘You know, so he was probably just sleeping and then all of a sudden the building gave way.’
The teen stuck his hand up through the rubble and was spotted amongst the rubble.
‘He was saying: ‘Please don’t leave me, don’t leave me, don’t leave me.’ So I told him: ‘We’re right here. We won’t leave you.’ That’s when I tried to signal police officers and firefighters to get over there,’ Balboa said.
Stacie and Jonah are seen in the above undated file photo
Stacie lived with her son on the 10th floor of the condominium building in Surfside
Video from the scene showed Handler being rescued by fire crews after the Champlain Towers South beachfront building collapsed at about 1.30am on June 24
Nicholas Balboa spoke to CNN about his role in rescuing the child from the collapsed building in Miami
Video from the scene showed the boy being carried out by firefighters on a stretcher after the Champlain Towers South beachfront building collapsed at about 1.30am on Thursday in Miami’s Surfside neighborhood.
The boy, a 10th grader at Monsignor Edward Pace High School in Miami Gardens, was then taken to hospital with broken bones.
‘He said his mother was in the apartment with him, so I couldn’t see her or hear her, so I have no idea what her status was, but I do pray that she is alright,’ Balboa said.
‘As for him, you know, he’s a guardian angel. That’s all I can say. Given what happened, he came out unscathed.’
Looking at the rubble, Balboa said he thought of the September 11 attacks and likened the scene opening before his eyes to something ‘out of a horror movie.’
‘I was thinking to myself, ‘How could anyone survive?” he said.