A PLUMBER who first on the scene at one of four stabbings in North London in the space of just 14 hours has told how he heard the bleeding victim scream: “Why has this happened to me?”
Roger Blackman saw the suspect run off before he rushed to help the wailing man moments after he was knifed on the street on Sunday morning.
The stabbing was one of four random attacks on the streets of Edmonton, North London, that took place over Saturday and Sunday.
Police believe a lone attacker was behind the bloodshed – the latest in a series of brutal knife attacks amid Britain’s ongoing knife crime crisis.
Mr Blackman, 46, was visiting his mum on Mother’s Day yesterday when he heard a chilling scream on Brettenham Road at around 9:40am yesterday.
It was the fourth brutal attack in just a quarter-mile radius over a 14-hour knife rampage.
The victim was screaming, ‘oh my God, oh my God, why has this happened to me?’
He told MailOnline: “I heard a scream, I looked to my right, I saw a guy run off, then another scream.
“I saw blood pouring out of the back of him, I went to my van to get some towels to stem the flow.”
“I saw the guy turn around and run off, he was literally about 10-15 feet away from where I was.”
Mr Blackman, who was pictured helping officers tend to the wounded man, added: “The victim was screaming, ‘oh my God, oh my God, why has this happened to me?’.
“There was blood pouring out of his gash. It was a great big gash, about a three-inch wound.”
Two men have been arrested in connection with the spate of brutal attacks – in which victims were stabbed in the back.
But police have warned that the knifeman may still be at large as a frantic manhunt continues today.
All of the victims were on their own when they were ambushed from behind without warning.
Extra police resources have been deployed to the area as locals are warned to remain vigilant[/caption]
Police rushed to help the latest Edmonton stabbing victim yesterday morning at around 9.40am[/caption]
Cops remain on the scene in Edmonton, North London, following the spate of attacks[/caption]
Cops yesterday issued a chilling warning to the public and urged locals to “stay vigilant”.
One resident near where the fourth person was stabbed said he heard screams for help coming from the victim.
Cengiz Topal was woken by the cries of the last victim coming from outside his flat and he rushed to help.
He said: “I was asleep and I just heard somebody shouting ‘help, help’ and I saw him on the floor.
“He must’ve walked through the middle of the estate to the main road where he collapsed.
“I went outside and I could tell he had been stabbed.
“I was trying to help him but there were other people there and the police arrived almost immediately.
“He was a young man – a poor young man. It’s so terrible.
“I just stood there watching the police cut off his clothes while he was lying there still with his eyes closed. I don’t even know if he is alive.”
SPATE OF ATTACKS
The lone knifeman is described as a tall, skinny black man who was wearing a hood and dark clothing.
He first struck at 7pm on Saturday night when he stabbed a 45-year-old woman in the back. She is currently fighting for her life.
The second victim, a 52-year-old man, was attacked just after midnight and is in a non-life threatening condition in hospital.
Just before 4am on Sunday, a 23-year-old man was knifed in Edmonton and found three miles away at Seven Sisters Tube station.
He is no longer in a life threatening condition.
The final man, aged 29, was attacked at around 9:40am and suffered potentially life-changing injuries.
SINGLE MALE SUSPECT
Scotland Yard is desperately trying to trace the “single male suspect” who is described as being 6ft 3ins tall.
Police have said there will be extra resources in the area to keep the public safe until they have apprehended the stabber.
Dervish Husseyin was at his friend’s house on Aberdeen Road when the first stabbing took place.
The 60-year-old said: “I saw the woman lying face down.”
Mr Husseyin said the woman had “blood on her back” but did not seem to realise she had been stabbed.
He added: “She said she only went out for a walk on her own.”
He said the woman who was stabbed lives locally and English is not her first language.
I saw the woman lying face down. She said she only went out for a walk on her own.
Witness Dervish Husseyin
Did you see the knife man? Do you have any information? If so email firstname.lastname@example.org
A restaurant worker told of her horror of waking up to the “bloody” aftermath left behind by the stabbing spree.
The Turkish woman, who lives on the Edmonton estate where the last of four victims was stabbed, was faced with a crime scene when she stepped out onto her balcony this morning.
She said: “My balcony looks down onto the spot where the man was lying on the ground.
“I heard screaming outside and stood on the balcony – there were people running around.
“There were so many sirens and police everywhere. Then I saw a body on the floor surrounded by police.”
A newsagent, whose corner shop faces onto the council estate, said: “I was working and I heard shouting coming from outside.
“I thought it was people just being silly but then I saw people running through the estate shouting ‘police.’
“I didn’t know what to think and then I saw the man who had been stabbed just fall to the ground.”
The worrying attacks come after a man was fatally knifed in leafy Clapham on Friday – then the third violent death in the capital in just three days.
A/DCI Stuart Smillie, from North Area Command, said: “We are doing everything we can to apprehend the suspect behind these cowardly and senseless attacks.
“The four stabbing related incidents are being treated as potentially linked.
“The four victims are from different backgrounds and appear to have been selected at random due to them being alone and vulnerable.
“There is nothing to suggest this incident is terror related.
“We are working on the hypothesis that the single male suspect is acting alone and mental health issues may be a factor.
“All of the people he has targeted have been walking alone and the suspect has approached from behind without warning.
“The motive from the stabbing appears to be solely to inflict harm.
“Early accounts suggest none of the victims were robbed or engaged in conversation before they were attacked.”
14-HOUR BLOODY RAMPAGE IN 1/4 MILE RADIUS
7.02pm GMT Saturday: A 45-year-old woman was stabbed in the back in Aberdeen Road, Edmonton, after being attacked by the man and remains in a critical condition in an East London hospital
12.15am Sunday: A man was stabbed in Park Avenue – a 10-minute walk away from the first incident – and is currently in a non-life threatening condition
3.55am BST Sunday: A 23-year-old man was stabbed in Silver Street and found three miles away outside Seven Sisters Tube station. He is in a critical condition in hospital
9.43am Sunday: A man was stabbed in the back in Brettenham Road and has suffered potentially life-threatening injuries
A/DCI Smillie added: “My advice to the public in the area where these incidents took place stay vigilant, beware of your surroundings and call 999 if you see anyone matching the suspect’s description behaving suspiciously.
“His description has been circulated to all officers in North Area who are carrying out patrols, CCTV footage enquiries and policing busy areas around where the incidents took place, particularly where he was last seen where police arrived four minutes after the call to police was made.
“A picture of this suspect will be circulated as soon as one is retrieved.”
Two men have been arrested on suspicion of GBH.
The first was arrested at 10.53 yesterday morning and a second man in his 40s was arrested last night.
Police enquiries are continuing to establish if these men are responsible for the stabbings and both are still in custody.
Cops are urging the public to stay vigilant in case the knifeman is still loose.
STABBINGS AT A 40 YEAR HIGH
KNIFE crime is at the “highest and most worrying” level in forty years, the Met Police chief says.
But Cressida Dick insisted figures are falling — with knife-related injuries down 15 per cent on last year.
She told MPs on the Commons Home Affairs Committee she is “cautiously optimistic” that serious knife crime is stabilising in London and other UK cities.
But the Commissioner said the past few years had been “deeply worrying” with more younger people involved and more knives on our streets.
She added: “The last couple of years undoubtedly have been the highest and most worrying levels in my service. If you look at stabbings of young people, I do think this is a new and tragic and worrying phenomenon. It is my number one priority.”
There were 44 violent deaths in London by March 26 in 2018 compared with 31 killings this year.
MOST READ IN NEWS
The bloodshed comes as knife crime rages on in Britain, with a 25-year-old shot dead in West Norwood on Wednesday and a man aged in his early 20s stabbed to death in Regent’s Park on Thursday night.
A string of attacks last week also saw six people – including four teens – stabbed on Tuesday alone.
Commissioner Cressida Dick told the Commons Home Affairs Committee the rate of attacks over the last few years had been “deeply worrying” – with younger people increasingly involved and more knives on our streets.
She added: “The last couple of years undoubtedly have been the highest and most worrying levels in my service.
“If you look at stabbings of young people, I do think this is a new and tragic and worrying phenomenon.
“It is my number one priority.”