Experts have warned against trying a new online challenged dubbed ‘The Vacuum Challenge’ as it could potentially leading to strangulation.
The challenge has been sweeping the internet, as social media users – from the UK and around the world – share videos as they seal themselves in bin bags, by sucking out the air with a vacuum cleaner.
However, experts are concerned that many of the videos posted online feature adults ‘vacuum sealing’ their children, sitting in bin bags with their heads poking out.
Despite the hilarious videos online, Yahoo News reports it could be a lead to cerebral hypoxia caused by strangulation as the bag tightens around the neck.
The challenge is believed to have been inspired by vacuum beds, which are popular in the BDSM community.
One mother from Huddersfield posted a video as she sealed her shocked daughter into a bin bag for the challenge
A British parent shared this video of their daughter looking delighted to try the challenge, which saw her sealed inside a bin bag
One woman from Norway was left in hysterics over the sensation, which sees air sucked out of a vacuum bag
The challenge has been tried around the world, as radio presenter Jack Vidgen in Australia demonstrated
A vacuum bed is a frame containing a latex suit, which covers the entire head and body, which participants climb into.
Air is then removed using a suction pump or vacuum, while the person inside breathes through a tube running into the mouth.
The challenge, which has been tried by social media users from across the globe, sees participants sitting or lying on the floor inside a bin bag, which often reaches up to the neck.
The nose of a vacuum is then inserted into the neck of the bag, sucking out all of the air and ‘sealing’ the participant inside.
The challenge sees participants, such as this woman from Australia, sit inside bin-bags and use a hoover to suck out the air, with many finding the odd sensation of being ‘vacuum sealed’ hilarious
One woman, from London, gave the bin bag challenge a go, which experts are warning could cause strangulation
Another woman from Moscow tested out the challenge, posting the hilarious video online as she struggled to stay upright
Another Australian woman shared this video of the shocking results of her vacuum challenge effort
One person, from Oklahoma, appeared stunned by the challenge after taking it on alone, a tactic which could prove risky
What is hypoxia?
Hypoxia is a condition that leads to a decrease of oxygen supply to the brain.
According to The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes, ‘brain cells can begin to die within five minutes after oxygen supply has been cut off.’
If the condition is minor, it can lead to inattentiveness, poor judgement and memory loss.
However when hypoxia lasts for longer periods of time, it can cause coma, seizures, and even brain death.
The lack of air within the bag means people are unable to move, and often fall to the ground, losing control of their limbs.
Social media users from around the world have tested out the challenge and shared videos of their hilarious reactions online.
And while many participants in the challenge find the results hilarious, experts have warned that it could lead to fatal consequences.
Many of the videos see participants tying the bin bags tightly around their neck in order to keep the top of the bag sealed, which could lead to strangulation.
Though most of the videos involve two or more participants, it also wouldn’t be wise to risk the challenge alone, as once trapped in the bag it becomes difficult to move.
Another social media user from Dubai requested the help of a friend to seal her inside the bin bag for the online challenge
The results of the challenge are even more obvious with a clear bag, as this social media user highlighted with her video