A doting father-of-three was found dead after ‘struggling to cope with everything’ when his wife tragically died, an inquest has heard.
Christopher Baynes was found collapsed lying next to a syringe on his bathroom floor after taking a fatal cocktail of drugs.
Mr Baynes’ mother, Carol Baynes, described her son as a ‘doting father who would do anything for his kids’.
Christopher Baynes, 45 and from Hull, was found collapsed lying next to a syringe on his bathroom floor after taking a fatal cocktail of drugs on May 18
But she said the 45-year-old ‘struggled to cope with everything’ following the tragic death of his wife, Jennifer, six years ago.
Mr Baynes, who was born in Hedon and grew up in Hull, had got involved with the ‘wrong crowd’ in his late teens and had started taking ecstasy and going to raves, his mother told an inquest into his death at Hull Coroner’s Court.
But, after he had successfully became drug free at the age of 21 following a rehabilitation programme in South Shields, he met and moved in with his future wife.
The pair then moved to Newcastle where they had two children, Gemma, now 24, and Connor, 15.
Following the birth of their second child, the family relocated to Aberdeen after Chris had got a job at a hotel, but returned to Hull as ‘there was no money in the hotel industry’.
They had their third child, Summer, now aged 12, and moved to another house.
But tragedy struck the family when, in March 2012, Jennifer passed away due to ongoing health issues, and this had a terrible impact on Chris.
Mr Baynes suffered from depression and insomnia and ‘would regularly stay downstairs all night by himself’, according to his partner, Lyn, whom he started dating in September 2015.
His mother had noticed that he was starting to become more withdrawn and said there was a change in his behaviour from 2016. His partner admitted that on some occasions he would stay out for five to six hours at a time.
On the morning of his death on May 18, his partner had woken just after 3am and could not see Mr Baynes downstairs. She noticed that the bathroom light was on and that the tap was running.
When Mr Baynes did not respond to her, she unlocked the door with a coin andentered to find him collapsed on the floor lying next to a syringe.
Humberside Police confirmed that there were no suspicious circumstances to the cause of death.
Consultant histopathologist Dr Laszlo Karsai concluded that the combination of drugs were the most likely cause of Mr Baynes’ death.
At the inquest, Coroner Rosemary Baxter concluded: ‘I am satisfied that this is drug related and this is the conclusion that I make.
‘I therefore formally record that the death of Christopher Baynes was caused by drug poisoning.’
For confidential support in the UK, call the Samaritans on 116123 or visit a local Samaritans branch. See samaritans.org for details.