FLOYD MAYWEATHER will make his long-awaited return to the ring on New Year’s Eve – but not in a conventional boxing match.
The five-time world champion is coming out of retirement to face Japanese kickboxing sensation Tenshin Nasukawa in a three-round exhibition fight.
When is Mayweather vs Nasukawa?
THE bizarre meeting is set for December 31 – New Year’s Eve.
There is a long undercard getting started at 6am UK time, which will feature MMA, kickboxing and shootboxing before the headline event.
And before the 14 scheduled matches get underway, viewers will be treated to Rizin: Heisei’s Last Yarennok, which will feature a further seven events.
Mayweather’s ring-walk time is not yet confirmed, but the undercard is expected to complete at around 10am UK time.
Where is it being held?
MAYWEATHER will face the kickboxing star at the Saitama Super Arena.
Located on the northern outskirts of Tokyo, it has a capacity of between 19,000-22,500 for MMA events and is one of the only venues in the world to feature a huge moveable section of seating.
Every New Year’s Eve since 2001 the arena has hosted a mixed-martial arts evening, with the last three years featuring the final round of the Rizin Fighting Federation.
Mayweather vs Nasukawa will be a boxing match and is set to take place over three rounds.
Who else is fighting on the card?
- Tenshin Nasukawa vs Floyd Mayweather Jr
- Kyoji Horiguchi vs Darrion Caldwell
- Kanna Asakura vs Ayaka Hamasaki
- Rena Kubota vs Samantha Jean-Francois
- Yusuke Yachi vs Johnny Case
- Ulka Sasaki vs Manel Kape
- Yuki Motoya vs Justin Scoggins
- Nobumitsu Osawa vs Tofik Musaev
- Jiri Prochazka vs Brandon Halsey
- Justyna Haba vs Shinju Nozawa Auclair
- Damien Brown vs Daron Cruickshank
- Mika Nagano vs Miyuu Yamamoto
- Gabi Garcia vs Barbara Nepomuceno
- Kazuyuki Miyata vs Erson Yamamoto