JEAN JACKSON knows how to hunt for bargains.
Her husband Paul, 73, buys The Sun every day for the football coverage. And Jean, 70, from Rushden, Northants, collects Sun Savers codes for free fivers.
She is passing down her money-saving skills to grandchildren Kieran, 22, Reuben, 17, Noah, 16, and Megan, 12.
As part of our Meet The Sun Savers series, Jean shows us how she saves her pennies.
- Raffles. Jean used to work at Marks & Spencer and she is part of a retiree group, Silver Sparks, that holds occasional raffles. Jean buys the raffle prizes. She says: “I have a budget of £5 so I get prizes for up to £1 each. I found gardening gloves for 15p and a stainless-steel water bottle for £1.50. Whatever money we raise goes back into the club. It’s how we keep in touch and you get free things when you win.”
- Be a Sun Saver. Our loyalty scheme helps Jean be more eco-friendly. She says: “In our area we can get a green waste bin for £5 a month. I use my Sun Savers wallet to pay for it. It’s great, as we have a large garden so have plenty of waste. Very practical!”
- Bulk-buying. When Jean finds a good offer, she takes advantage. “My husband loves Nivea For Men cream,” Jean says. “It’s half-price at the moment so we’ve been buying one a week. That’ll probably last him until next year! Bulk-buying when something is on offer is a great tip. I always look for things that are half-price and will keep.”
- Eating out. Having a bigger family means meals out can be expensive — but Jean has a way around that. “Recently we went to a Hungry Horse pub for a family dinner and we discovered that if we ordered using its app, we got 20 per cent off,” she says.
- Secret Santa. On cutting the cost of Christmas, Jean says: “We do a secret Santa and all the adults get involved. We pick names out of a hat and only buy for one person. The children get lots of presents, though!”
- All prices on this page are correct at time of going to press.
- Deals and offers subject to availability.
Deal of the day
SNAP up the Lynx duo grooming range on offer in Boots. Was £5.60, now £2.80.
POP a bottle of I Heart Prosecco on offer in Tesco. Was £8.50, now £6.50. Offer ends November 12.
My Sun Savers fiver
DAN COHEN, from Harlington, Middlesex, says: “I’m saving my Fivers up to buy my parents something special for their 52nd wedding anniversary”
- Send us your Savers fiver stories at sunsavers.co.uk/fiver and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Reader’s saving tip
JANICE PATON, from Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, says: “Save the wax from your scented candles and put it in your dustbin to give it a lovely smell.”
- Send us your tips at sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Shop & save
LISTEN to your tunes with these Panasonic in-ear rose gold headphones from ao.com. Was £29, now £15. Offer ends Monday.
Hot right now
GET £100 off the Braun Silk-expert 3 IPL on offer in Boots. It guarantees visible hair removal.
MOST READ IN MONEY
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.