Girl, 10, dies after being ‘thrown’ from ‘extreme’ rotating ride at Harvest Festival in front of her family

FAMILY members have been left “distraught” after a 10-year-old girl died from being thrown from a carnival ride this weekend.

Police confirmed the girl’s death, after she was ejected from a ride called “Extreme” on Saturday evening.

ABC7

Eyewitnesses said the girl was lying “motionless” after being thrown from the ride[/caption]

The incident took place at the Deerfield Township Harvest Festival, New Jersey, at around 6.18pm local time, according to police.

The girl was then airlifted to Cooper Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 7.20pm.

Witnesses said that the girl was lying “motionless” on the floor, after being flung from the Wisdom Super Sizzler amusement ride, which spins its passengers in a horizontal circle.

Before being spun, riders are strapped into rotating arms of the 12-car ride using lap bars.

In a statement posted on Facebook, Skelly’s Amusements Inc., the company that operates the festival’s rides, said: “We are absolutely heartbroken.

“Words cannot express our feelings and we extend our deepest sympathies to the individual’s family and loved ones.

“We ask that you keep them in your thoughts.”

The festival cancelled a parade that had been scheduled for Sunday, but other events were set to go ahead, according to its website.

A statement from the festival read: “There was an accident at the Harvest Festival yesterday.

“The incident is still under investigation.

“We have learned from the State Police that the young person involved in the accident has succumbed to her injuries and our thoughts and prayers are with her family.

“The festival will be open today to offer a place for the community to come together in wake of this tragedy.”

Skelly’s Amusements Inc. closed the ride on Sunday, even though it had reportedly been given permission to operate by the state.

The company – which was founded in 1956 and also provides games and food concessions for carnivals – was issuing full refunds for rides at the ticket booth and said it is full cooperating into the investigation.

According to the festival’s Facebook page, the event has been running since 1979.

ABC7

The company overseeing the ride said it would be closed on Sunday[/caption]

Festival organizers said they wanted to offer the community a place to “come together” following the tragedy

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


 

Link

(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply