The actor, 78, was taking a stroll in Mayfair, London, where he was watching the tennis at a pub and dressed in a casual ensemble while sporting the khaki sling.
The star, who stars as the titular daredevil archaeologist in the franchise, sustained the injury in a choreographed fight scene and will be now out of action while he recuperates.
Ouch: Harrison Ford stepped out in sling on Friday after injuring his shoulder while rehearsing a fight scene for Indiana Jones 5
The fifth and final Indiana Jones movie in the series has been filming in the UK in recent weeks and is due for release in 2022.
Harrison dressed down in a navy jumper and grey trousers and wore a black face mask as he walked around.
It is a fresh blow for the movie- which sees James Mangold taking on directing duties from long-time helmer Steven Spielberg – after shooting was previously pushed back as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
Injury: The actor, 78, was seen taking a stroll in Mayfair, London, where he was watching the tennis at a pub and dressed in a casual ensemble which sporting the khaki sling
Delay: Film studio Disney did not disclose the severity of Ford’s injury last week, but said the filming schedule would be adjusted over ‘the coming weeks’
An insider told The Sun newspaper’s Bizarre column: ‘It is Harrison’s last outing as Indiana and everyone thought it would be plain sailing.
‘After the initial delays everyone was raring to go. But now Harrison is injured and it is worse than first thought.
‘The film’s bosses have come together to work out the scheduling and it’s chaos. The earliest they think they can restart the production is September.
‘It was not what anyone was expecting so to have to change everything is a huge blow. Everyone was concerned for Harrison and they are glad he is on the mend.’
Exciting: The fifth and final Indiana Jones movie in the series has been filming in the UK in recent weeks and is due for release in 2022
Stroll: Harrison dressed down in a navy jumper and grey trousers and wore a black face mask as he walked around
Out and about: Harrison was watching the football in Mayfair with a group of friends
Harrison is known for doing his own stunts on set and Spielberg confessed that he was an “idiot” for letting the star take on risky scenes such as the boulder run in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
The legendary filmmaker said: ‘A double would have cheated his head down, so Harrison volunteered to do it himself.
‘There were five shots of the rock from five different angles – each one done twice – so Harrison had to race the rock ten times.
‘He won ten times – and beat the odds. He was lucky – and I was an idiot for letting him try it.’
Oh dear: Filming in the much-anticipated fifth instalment of the Indiana Jones franchise has been pushed back three months
Pain: The Hollywood actor is said to have ‘aggravated an old injury that’s bad enough for him to require surgery to put it right’ (Harrison pictured in Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008)
The out previously reported that Ford had ‘aggravated an old injury that’s bad enough for him to require surgery to put it right’.
The source told The Sun: ‘He was filming an action scene on a train within Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire when he felt it go. It’s not known yet if he will fly back to the US for surgery. It’s all up in the air and schedules are being re-written.’
Reports suggest that production for the film will continue around Harrison’s recovery with the schedule being ‘reconfigured’ when needed over the coming weeks, with the paper adding the incident has thrown the film’s schedule ‘into chaos’.
Injured: Reports suggest that production for the film will continue around Harrison’s recovery with the schedule being ‘reconfigured’ when needed over the coming weeks (pictured in 2020)
A Disney source told Deadline: ‘In the course of rehearsing for a fight scene, Harrison Ford sustained an injury involving his shoulder.
‘Production will continue while the appropriate course of treatment is evaluated, and the filming schedule will be reconfigured as needed in the coming weeks.’
MailOnline have contacted representatives of Harrison and Disney for comment.
This isn’t the only time the movie star has been injured on the set of a film.
Harrison was previously crushed by the Millennium Falcon’s hydraulic door ‘on the set of Star Wars movie The Force Awakens.
The then 71-year-old was knocked to the ground and pinned down by the heavy door while filming the movie at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire in June 2014.
A film production company owned by Disney was been fined £1.6million as a result of the accident.
A source said: ‘Production will continue while the appropriate course of treatment is evaluated, and the filming schedule will be reconfigured as needed in the coming weeks’
He could have been killed by the door on the set of the Millennium Falcon spaceship which crushed him like a ‘blunt-edged guillotine’, a court heard.
Hollywood star Ford was reprising his role as Han Solo when he was hit by the hydraulic door, which had been designed to mimic the action of a door on the original set.
It acted like a ‘blunt guillotine’, coming down ‘millimetres from his face’ at a speed of just 1.6 seconds, as the star passed underneath. He was pinned by the pelvis to the ground as a result.
Pain: This isn’t the only time the movie star has been injured on the set of a film. He was crushed by the Millennium Falcon’s hydraulic door on the set of Star Wars movie The Force Awakens in 2014
Ford suffered a broken tibia and fibula, a dislocated ankle and a cut hand in the incident, while his sidekick Chewbacca’s safety was also endangered.
It’s been a busy period for Harrison as in recent months he’s been spotted in the Scottish Borders and North Yorkshire while shooting scenes as the famous archaeologist.
The star has been undertaking a gruelling exercise regime while filming the latest film in the UK.
Harrison has been cycling 40 miles and going on walks after just six hours of sleep before shooting on an 11-hour filming schedule.
40 years later: Harrison has played the iconic role of Indiana Jones for 40 years, having first starred in Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981
Keeping fit: The star has been undertaking a gruelling exercise regime while filming the latest film in the UK (pictured on set)
‘It’s clockwork, very regimented. It’s wake up, lunch, a very long bike ride, then he’s at the film set from 6pm,’ an inside source told The Mirror on Saturday.
They continued: ‘He then arrives back at the hotel around 5am. That exercise and work regime would be punishment for a man half his age. It’s real dedication.
‘It’s incredible. He seems to live a very strict routine. You can set your watch by the things he does at the same time every day. Regimented.
This will be Harrison’s fifth time reprising the title role of the heroic archaeologist with supporting parts going to Mads Mikkelsen, 55, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, 35.
James Mangold is directing the movie in place of Steven Spielberg.
Plot details are still being kept under wraps, and it’s unclear what roles the new additions will play in the fifth film.
Legendary composer John Williams is also set to return, continuing a musical legacy that began 40 years ago with Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Meanwhile, Harrison previously said he wouldn’t make another Indiana Jones movie unless he was sure the production team could ‘kill it.’
Citing the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he said: ‘I don’t really want to give them what they wanna see, I want to give them something they didn’t anticipate seeing.
‘The Marvel movies are a spectacular example of a success that worked the other way round – they killed it. We’re not going to make another Indiana Jones unless we’re in a position to kill it. We want it to be the best.’
at work: It’s been a busy period for Harrison as in recent months he’s been spotted in the Scottish Borders and North Yorkshire while shooting scenes as the famous archaeologist
Preparations: Set construction at Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland as filming for the new Indiana Jones 5 movie starring Harrison takes place during the night
Last month Boyd Holbrook and Shaunette Renee Wilson joined the cast of Indiana Jones 5.
The Logan star and the 31-year-old actress will both star in the fifth instalment of the iconic action franchise.
Indiana Jones 5 was first announced in 2016 and originally scheduled to be released in July 2019.
Supporting roles: Both Mads Mikkelsen, 55, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, 35, L-R have also signed on to appear in Indiana Jones 5 alongside Harrison
It was then pushed back a year, before being delayed for another 12 months until July 2021 after Jonathan Kasdan – whose father Lawrence Kasdan wrote 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark – was brought on board to work on the script after original screenwriter David Koepp departed the project.
The most recent film in the series was 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which earned over $790.6 million at the global box office.
The current release date for Indiana Jones 5 is July 29, 2022.