Holiday terror for British family in Spanish resort when fire alarms failed as they were evacuated

A British family were left distraught and hundreds of pounds out of pocket after their dream holiday was shattered by a fire.

Aaron Hewlett, 28, and his family including four young children were staying at the Magic Tropical Splash in Benidorm on a Jet2 holiday when their room ‘filled with smoke’.

They would spend the next day moving between ‘sun loungers wearing towels for blankets’ to a doctors surgery as their holiday was quickly taken off course.

It began when a small blaze broke out in the Benidorm resort’s reception area 17 floors below.

Mr Hewlett tries the fire alarm at the resort

Mr Hewlett tries the fire alarm at the resort

Sets of alarms on both the 17th and 16th floors do not work when tested

Sets of alarms on both the 17th and 16th floors do not work when tested

As Mr Hewlett made his way down through the hotel with his family he tries to activate the fire alarm on his floor and the one below but need appeared the work when pushed

Fire services rush to the scene at the Benidorm resort

Fire services rush to the scene at the Benidorm resort

Firefighter try to put out the fire at the resort

Firefighter try to put out the fire at the resort

Firefighters take to the scene at the Magic Tropical Splash in Benidorm and put out the small blaze

Mr Hewlett and his wife had just put their children, aged nine, seven, three and one, to bed when their room began to ‘fill with smoke’ coming from below.

They say that no alarm had been ‘immediately raised’, but they decided to take the safe option and evacuate down the stairs.

It was here Mr Hewlett said that he attempt to warn other guests by activating the fire alarm on his floor, but when he knocked in the red button nothing happened.

He then took out his phone, and can be heard recording himself saying: ‘Staying on the 17th floor, fire is going on outside, but it don’t work. As you can see no fire alarm on another one.’

In a later video, Mr Hewlett walks through the lobby before approaching someone who appears to be a member of staff about why the fire alarms don’t work.

‘It was just here a small one, it was not the case to put the fire alarm on,’ he can be heard saying.

Mr Hewlett approaches the employee

Mr Hewlett approaches the employee

He is told the fire is not a major issue

He is told the fire is not a major issue

Mr Hewlett approaches an employee in the reception who says that the fire was ‘only small’ and was not a reason to raise alarm among guests

The father said his three daughters, who all had coughs as a result of smoke, were made to sleep on a sun lounger for four-and-a-half hours

The father said his three daughters, who all had coughs as a result of smoke, were made to sleep on a sun lounger for four-and-a-half hours

The father said his three daughters, who all had coughs as a result of smoke, were made to sleep on a sun lounger for four-and-a-half hours 

The man then adds that he ‘asked the police guy’ who he claims said that no further action was necessary.

Benidorm’s fire brigade were called to the resort late on May 14, and worked to put out the blaze as hotel guests waited outside.

‘My 4 children were made to sleep on a sun lounger for four-and-a-half hours and not one member of staff came out to check if any of us were ok,’ said Mr Hewlett.

His three daughters all had coughs as a result of smoke from the fire and having to wait outside, and were recommended to visit a doctor by a Jet2 rep.

According to Mr Hewlett, the room his family had been staying in had been 'filled with smoke'. Pictured: Magic Tropical Splash in Benidorm

According to Mr Hewlett, the room his family had been staying in had been 'filled with smoke'. Pictured: Magic Tropical Splash in Benidorm

According to Mr Hewlett, the room his family had been staying in had been ‘filled with smoke’. Pictured: Magic Tropical Splash in Benidorm

Mr Hewlett said he has approached Jet2 to request a refund for their experience at the resort. Pictured: Magic Tropical Splash in Benidorm

Mr Hewlett said he has approached Jet2 to request a refund for their experience at the resort. Pictured: Magic Tropical Splash in Benidorm

Mr Hewlett said he has approached Jet2 to request a refund for their experience at the resort. Pictured: Magic Tropical Splash in Benidorm

Mr Hewlett said that the rest of their trip was also blighted by an ‘inability to eat the food’after they were offered a transfer to the Magic Natura resort.

The family have approached Jet2 to request a refund for their experience at Magic Tropical Resort.

Last summer a mother almost lost her leg from an accident on the resort’s waterslide that got infected with flesh-eating bugs.

Helen Priestley, 42, split her leg open in two places while riding the chute and had to have two operations after her cuts became poisonous. 

She also travelled with holiday operator Jet2, and said last year that the company had not apologised to her following the incident. 

MailOnline has approached Jet2 have been for comment regarding the fire at Magic Tropical Splash resort.   

 

photo link

(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply