APPLE’S top-secret iPhone 11 already has a ludicrously expensive phone case – despite having not been announced yet.
The new iPhone won’t be official until mid-September, but a keen accessory maker has unveiled a swanky £2,500 case for the new mobile.
Luxury case-maker Gray has created a bizarre gappy case that doesn’t even cover the entire phone.
But its quirky design, premium materials and limited-edition run of 50 pieces warrants a high price, the firm says.
The new case is tipped to go on sale on September 7, just a few days before the expected iPhone 11 launch.
It’s machined down from a solid block of “aerospace grade 5 titanium”, which is typically used in aircraft and race-car design.
Gray says its titanium is 2.5 times stronger than steel but only half its weight.
This gives the case an “impossibly light” feeling in your hands – but keeps it strong.
The case itself looks very odd, and is made up of connected metal pieces that crisscross over the back of the phone.
“Cutting ridges break the profile of the case, creating an angular design inspired by the aerodynamic shape of hypersonic planes,” Gray explained.
“Your journey is taken further with the mechanically textured surface, a tactile sensation that elevates the Alter Ego into another dimension.”
iPhone tricks to try today
Here are some of the best…
- Typing cursor – When typing, hold down the space bar to turn your keyboard into a trackpad, letting you move around words and sentences more easily
- Close all Safari tabs – To do this in one go, simply hold the overlapped squares in the bottom right-hand corner, and press close all tabs
- Delete lots of photos quickly – Hold down on a photo and then drag your finger diagonally in Photos to select lots of images at once, then hit delete
- Convert currency quickly – Swipe down from the top of your Home screen (or swipe left to right on an iPhone X), then tap in the bar and type a currency (like $200) and it will automatically covert to your local currency
- Check if you’re due a battery upgrade – Batteries inside smartphones degrade over time. Just go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health, and check out the Maximum Capacity reading. Generally a battery is considered worn when you’re down to 80% capacity. If you’re below, you can buy a battery swap from Apple
- Move apps around faster – Hold an app until it starts wiggling, then (while still holding) tap other apps, causing them to stack so you can move them around easier
So when can you get the new phone?
Apple is a creature of habit, sticking to an obvious pattern for iPhone releases each year.
The big launch event always takes place in September, and generally falls early on in the month – on a Tuesday or Wednesday, typically.
This year, the likeliest dates for an Apple event are Tuesday, September 10 or Wednesday, September 11.
Of course, Apple is very unlikely to host an event on September 11, given that the day is a memorial for the 9/11 terrorist attacks on New York City in 2001.
So our money is on the former, so mark it in your calendars.
But the iPhone won’t actually arrive in stores on launch day. You’ll have to wait about a week and a half to actually buy one.
Pre-orders will likely become available on Friday, September 13.
And our best guess is that the phone will turn up in your local Apple Store on Friday, September 20.
This week, we revealed how experts believe one new iPhone model will be cheaper than its 2018 counterparts.
The iPhone 11R is expected to cost just £699 – down from the £749 iPhone XR.
However, Apple hasn’t confirmed this, so take all predictions with a pinch of salt for now.
MOST READ IN TECH
Already got an iPhone? Check out the best iPhone apps here.
And gamers will want to read our guide to the best iPhone games out now.
Read about the best AR apps you can download on an iPhone or iPad too.
Do you think this case is worth the money? Let us know in the comments!
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org