Jeffrey Epstein was charged with sex trafficking on Saturday by federal prosecutors with the US Attorney’s Office in Manhattan, according to an individual who is familiar with the proceedings.
That same individual said that Epstein, 66, will make his first court appearance on Monday in New York, confirming a report that first appeared on The Daily Beast.
It had been reported for the past few months that Epstein was being investigated on unknown charges by the Southern District of New York.
He was taken into custody after his private jet touched down from France on Saturday at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey.
Around the same time, agents with the FBI were seen breaking down the door to his Upper East Side mansion to execute a search warrant in the case.
DailyMail.com obtained exclusive photos which show the aftermath of that search, including Epstein’s damaged and splintered door.
A security guard from a nearby building told DailyMail.com that between 20 to 25 law enforcement officials showed up at Epstein’s home at around 6:30pm on Saturday.
Most of those were FBI agents, the security guard said. They were accompanied by several officers – both uniformed and plain-clothed – from the New York Police Department.
The guard told DailyMail.com that it took them approximately 10 to 15 minutes before they could pry the door open.
The front entrance appears to be outfitted with fingerprint and voiceprint technology for security purposes.
The guard says that in the hours since the raid, more law enforcement personnel arrived at the home, where they are expected to work well into Sunday morning.
The guard, who identified himself as Tom, said he would see Epstein there once or twice a month.
He said that two weeks ago, he noticed someone on the street taking photographs of Epstein’s residence.
The US Attorney’s Office and a spokesperson with the New York Police Department both declined to comment on Saturday.
This news comes just days after a judge ordered the unsealing of nearly 2,000 pages of records related to a civil case that could reveal how he and his accused accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell allegedly trafficked underage girls
The documents that will be unsealed are from a defamation case that was settled after Epstein entered a guilty plea guilty to a single charge of soliciting and procuring a person under age 18 for prostitution
Scroll down for video
Back to court: Federal prosecutors with the US Attorney’s office in Manhattan filed sex trafficking charges against Jeffrey Epstein Saturday
Trouble: This week, 2,000 pages of records that could reveal how he and his accused accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell (above in 2005) allegedly trafficked underage girls were unsealed
Break in: DailyMail.com obtained exclusive photos which show the aftermath of that search, including Epstein’s damaged and splintered door
Records in the defamation case contained descriptions of sexual abuse by Epstein along with new allegations of sexual abuse by ‘numerous prominent American politicians, powerful business executives, foreign presidents, a well-known prime minister and other world leaders.’
The appeals court found that the judge in the case did seal a number of documents without a justifiable reason when ordering the release.
Epstein’s lawyers will first get a chance to appeal, and after those legal proceedings play out the documents will start being prepared by the court for release.
The plea deal Epstein agreed to back in 2008 saved the accused child rapist from having to register as a sex offender in 31 of 50 states.
In a deal unknown to the victim or her lawyer, the minor Epstein admitted to soliciting for prostitution was not the 14-year-old girl who first reported the millionaire money manager, but rather another girl, 16, whose age was left blank on court documents.
That victim’s age means that Epstein did not have to register as a sex offender in states like New Mexico, where he owns a 7,600-acre property called Zorro Ranch, and allows him to be classified as a low risk offender in the US Virgin Islands, which is currently his primary residence.
A federal judge ruled earlier this year that then-U.S. Attorney Alex Acosta violated the rights of Epstein’s alleged victims when they neglected to notify them that they were no longer pursuing federal charges.
That was another part of the deal, which in addition to allowing Epstein to have work release and live in a low-security facility also agreed to drop a federal probe into the millionaire moneyman.
Now Acosta – who is the current Secretary of Labor and had been mentioned as a possible candidate for attorney general – and others are again coming under fire for allegedly catering to the man who donated millions to the Clintons and hosted President Trump at his Manhattan townhouse while keeping his victims in the dark.
‘They were cutting a plea deal. It wasn’t a prosecution,’ said attorney Spencer Kuvin, who represented the 14-year-old girl who alerted police.
‘They had a grab bag of 40 girls to choose from.’
He then revealed that he and his client believed they had been the victim referenced in the plea deal.
‘It’s unbelievably upsetting,’ said Kuvin.
‘The rug has been swiped out from under the one girl who was brave enough to come forward and break this thing.’
Questions about Epstein’s deal started to surface after a series of lawsuits were filed by two of his alleged victims.
The women, identified as Jane Doe 1 and Jane Doe 2, claim in court papers that they were unaware of the secret deal being made between the defense team and prosecutors back in 2007 that guaranteed federal charges would not be brought against Epstein, 63, which could have resulted in a lengthy prison sentence for the millionaire.
They filed their lawsuit a few months after Epstein received his lenient sentence in 2008, with their lawyers saying the U.S. Attorney’s Office violated the federal Crime Victims’ Rights Act by not speaking with Epstein’s victims about the details of his plea agreement.
The two victims who filed the suit were 13 and 14 at the time of the abuse.
This filing contained more than 140 exhibits including emails between Epstein’s defense team, the U.S. Attorney’s office and former State Attorney Barry Krischer, which lawyers believe clearly show that victims were being left in the dark.
Judgment day: These files could detail how Epstein and his accused accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell allegedly trafficked underage girls(Epstein in 2008 after entering his guilty plea)
Victim: Virginia Roberts Giuffre is one of the 40 women who alleges Epstein abused her. She holds a photo of herself at age 16, when she said the abuse begun (above). Giuffre filed a lawsuit in 2015 against Epstein’s right-hand woman Ghislaine Maxwell
Bradley Edwards and Paul Cassell, who filed on behalf of the women, previously stated that they hoped U.S. District Judge Kenneth Marra would not force the case to go to trial but rather given what they believe is overwhelming evidence rule in the favor of the two victims.
‘There is good reason to believe that if the prosecutors had exposed their dealings to scrutiny by Jane Doe 1, Jane Doe 2 and other victims, they would not have reached such a sweetheart plea deal,’ the motion reads.
‘Despite the fact that this case has been in litigation for more than seven years, spanning several hundred pleadings, the government does not write even a single sentence explaining why it entered into an NPA (non-prosecution agreement) with a sex offender who had committed hundreds of federal sex offenses against young girls.’
The motion also says that the deal Epstein received is ‘one of the most extraordinarily lenient plea arrangements in American history’.
Epstein settled both of these suits back in December before the victims would be able to testify in court.
Police in Palm Beach turned over the information they had gathered on Epstein’s victims to federal authorities in November 2006 after investigating the case for roughly a year following an initial call in March 2005 from a woman who claimed her daughter, 14, had been paid $300 to give Epstein a massage in just her underwear.
Local authorities also filed a probable cause affidavit in May 2006 saying they believed there was enough evidence to charge Epstein with four counts of unlawful sex with minors and one count of molestation.
In the end, these charges were taken to a grand jury despite the recommendation of police, who came back with just one charge against Epstein – felony solicitation of prostitution.
On June 30, 2008, Epstein pleaded guilty to a single state charge of soliciting an underage girl for prostitution, and ultimately served just 13 months of his 18-month sentence.
That time was served not in a prison, but rather the Palm Beach Stockade, which is a local detention center.
Epstein was also allowed to leave six days a week to go work out of his West Palm Beach office during his time behind bars.
After his release he did have to register as a sex offender.