DEMOCRATS in Indiana have suffered a crushing defeat as the incumbent Senator Joe Donnelly has lost his seat to Republican Mike Braun.
Braun is leading the vote 53 per cent to Donnelly’s 42 per cent, vote results have shown.
The results come as 51 per cent of the precinct’s reporting, with the contentious nomination of Brett Kavaunagh to the Supreme Court last month thought to have shaken voters.
The midterm elections will determine whether Republicans keep control of the US Congress.
Earlier this evening, two Republican strongholds in Guam and Virginia turned blue, with Beto O’Rourke also taking a huge early lead over incumbent Ted Cruz.
Trump and the Republicans are at great risk of losing the House of Representatives – which could paralyse his presidency.
The two houses of Congress – could Trump lose both?
- The midterm elections are being held halfway through Trump’s presidential term and the make-up of Congress’s two chambers could impact his ability to govern.
- Of the 35 Senate seats up for election this year, 26 are held by Democrats (including two independents allied to them) and nine by Republicans.
- In total, the US Senate is made up of 51 Republican seats and 47 Democrats, plus those two independents.
- This means that the Democrats need to keep all of their seats and win back two from the Republicans – but 10 of the Dems’ seats are in states which Trump won in the 2016 US Election.
- In the lower chamber of Congress, the Democrats need to pick up 20 seats to control the House of Representatives.
READ MORE ON THE MIDTERM ELECTIONS
While Trump is not on the ballot, this election is widely seen as a referendum on his time in office.
Emboldened Democrats have a chance to win majorities in Republican-controlled Congress — which is made up of two houses, the House Of Representatives and the Senate.
In the week before Tuesday’s elections, the president has hosted no less than 11 rallies in eight states as he sought to pump prime support for the Republicans.
If Trump’s party lost control of the house, his opponents could lift the lid on his personal finances, spark fresh investigations into his alleged links to Russia and even trigger an impeachment.