John Worboys pleads guilty at the Old Bailey to drugging four more women

John Worboys (pictured in February 2018) targeted women who hailed his cab and drugged them

John Worboys (pictured in February 2018) targeted women who hailed his cab and drugged them

John Worboys (pictured in February 2018) targeted women who hailed his cab and drugged them

Black cab rapist John Worboys today admitted drugging four more women.

The 62-year-old, who now goes by the name John Derek Radford, targeted women who hailed his cab and drugged them in order to sexually assault them.

He was jailed in 2009 for sex assaults on 12 women, and pleaded guilty at an Old Bailey hearing today to a string of further offences relating to four more women.

Worboys, wearing spectacles and a light grey and green shirt, appeared at the court via video link from Wakefield Prison in West Yorkshire this morning.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of administering a stupefying or overpowering drug with intent to commit rape or indecent assault.

Worboys also admitted two counts of administering a substance with intent to commit a sexual offence under the Sexual Offences Act.

Worboys was jailed in 2009 for sex assaults on 12 women

Worboys was jailed in 2009 for sex assaults on 12 women

Worboys was a stripper for 13 years between 1987 and 1999. He called himself 'Terry the Minder' or 'The Minder'. This is a promotional picture from his early stripping days

Worboys was a stripper for 13 years between 1987 and 1999. He called himself 'Terry the Minder' or 'The Minder'. This is a promotional picture from his early stripping days

Worboys was a stripper for 13 years between 1987 and 1999. He called himself ‘Terry the Minder’ or ‘The Minder’. This is a promotional picture from his early stripping days

The first victim was picked up in Worboys’ taxi after leaving a bar. All the women made their allegations to police in early 2018, but the offences dated back to between 2000 and 2008 in London.

Grey-haired Worboys spoke only to confirm his identity and enter his guilty pleas.The court heard the maximum sentence faced by Worboys was life in prison.

How rapist boasted of stripper past to carry out attacks 

Black cab rapist John Worboys boasted of his past as a stripper as he preyed on women who trusted him to get them home safely from a night out.

The London taxi driver, now 62, turned to drugging and sexually assaulting his female passengers after he gave up the stage.

Worboys lied about winning the lottery and claimed to have been a stripper with the Chippendales to persuade his victims to drink champagne spiked with strong sedatives.

He was described as a ‘repetitive predatory sexual offender’ as he was jailed indefinitely with a minimum eight-year term in 2009 for attacks on 12 women.

Mr Justice Penry-Davey told him: ‘Armed with your plausible but lying story, you set out on a campaign of sexual assault, choosing those that had been drinking alcohol and concerned about getting home safely, were careful to use a black cab rather than take the risk of an unlicensed cab.’

Nine years later, the Parole Board directed that he should be released, but the decision was overturned by the High Court following a challenge from his victims.

Four more women came forward last year to make fresh allegations that Worboys had drugged them after picking them up in his cab.

After admitting the offences, he now faces another lengthy jail term when he is sentenced on September 2.

The former milkman and junior Hertfordshire dairy manager had bragged of a 13-year career as a stripper, working under the stage name Terry the Minder.

Working six days a week, including Sunday lunchtimes, stage performances, hen nights and kissograms across London and the South East gave him access to hundreds of women.

Combined with work as a security guard and cab driver, Worboys earned thousands of pounds every week and lived like a pop star.

Publicity photographs of him taken in the 1980s and 1990s show him with a broad grin and a peroxide blond-tinted mullet haircut.

He posed for glossy shots dressed in American-style police uniforms, tuxedos, satin underwear and bright rubber-look outfits.

In 2006, under an assumed name, Worboys even recorded an amateur adult film, with one reviewer noting he was one of a ‘group of ageing guys who look and sound like extras from the cast of EastEnders’.

Worboys gave up the stage in 1999, aged 42, turning to driving a cab full-time.

It was not long before he started carrying out sex attacks on his female passengers after convincing them to drink champagne laced with drugs.

Worboys would claim to have won the lottery or some money on the horses and tell his victims about his stripper past.

Kathy Martin, who had been his girlfriend for a year at the time of his arrest, said she had no idea of his double life.

She said he gave no clues about his predatory night-time activities and she was left dumbstruck when police knocked on her door.

But Ms Martin, who ultimately offered to give evidence against Worboys, said: ‘He is a good conman, but I think he has conned himself. He thought he pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes.’

Mrs Justice McGowan adjourned sentencing to September 2 for a report to be prepared on Worboys’ history of offending and dangerousness.

She said: ‘This is a case on which the public interest is better represented by the probation service putting forward a complete history.’

She ordered the defendant to be produced in court at the next hearing, saying: ‘This is a case where the public might expect the defendant to be sitting in the dock.’

At his first trial at Croydon Crown Court in 2009, jurors were told Worboys picked up his victims in London’s West End and plied them with champagne laced with sedatives on the pretext of celebrating a lottery or casino win.

Worboys, originally from Enfield, was convicted of 19 offences including one count of rape, five sexual assaults, one attempted assault and 12 drugging charges.

He was jailed for at least eight years but was told he would be held in custody as long as he was deemed a danger to the public.

Last year, the Parole Board ruled he should remain in prison citing his ‘sense of sexual entitlement’ and a need to control women.

Police believe Worboys may have carried out more than 100 rapes and sexual assaults on women in London between 2002 and 2008.

At an earlier hearing in the latest case, prosecutor Jonathan Polnay said: ‘The allegation is that in 2000 or 2001 (the first victim) left a bar in Dover Street and hailed a taxi. The prosecution case is the driver of that black cab was this defendant.

‘He told her he had won money on the horses and was celebrating and claimed he had been a stripper with the Chippendales.

‘He offered champagne and invited her to celebrate. She agreed.

‘This defendant pulled over on a side road off the A40 served an alcoholic drink in a plastic cup, which she drank. That is her last memory that evening.

‘She woke up the next day naked with her clothes left in a trail on the way to her bed.’

The prosecutor continued: ‘In the late 2000s when there was considerable publicity about this defendant when he stood trial for a number of sexual offences she recognised the defendant as the taxi driver who had picked her up and in due course on December 13 2018 she picked him out in an identity parade.

‘It is therefore the prosecution case this defendant did in fact administer a drug of sorts that caused her to lose consciousness.

‘All his previous convictions relate to a very particular, identical modus operandi – picking up women in taxis, claiming he had won money gambling, offered alcohol laced with a form of sedative.’

Mr Polnay said the second victim was a university student in London in 2003 when she was targeted after leaving a nightclub on New Oxford Street in what was ‘an identical method not only to the first count but a number of previous conviction and allegations three and four’.   

One of Worboys’ previous victims said today that she was ‘completely in shock’ after he admitted drugging four more. 

One of two women, who brought the judicial review that stopped him being freed but cannot be named for legal reasons, ‘can’t help being cynical about his motives’ after he pleaded guilty today.

The woman said: ‘I was completely in shock that he pleaded guilty after everything he has put his numerous victims through over the years.

‘Whilst I can’t help being cynical about his motives and I am pleased that his victims have been saved the trauma of a court case.

‘My thoughts are with each and every victim today and the hope that we can now put this behind us and finally rebuild our lives.

‘I would also like to express my utmost admiration of the victims courage to finally speak out to ensure this dangerous criminal is brought to justice’

Harriet Wistrich, director of the Centre for Women’s Justice and solicitor for the two women, added: ‘It is clearly a relief that Worboys is now admitting to offences he has been charged with.

‘This is a vindication of the judicial review brought last year which sought to highlight a much wider level of offending than that he was previously prepared to admit.’ 

Gregor McGill, Crown Prosecution Service director of legal services, said: ‘John Worboys is a sexual predator. His modus operandi will be familiar to any victim unfortunate enough to cross his path: entice them into his cab with cheap fares, offer them a sedative-laced drink and take advantage of their vulnerable state.

‘Worboys has left countless victims feeling traumatised, anxious and violated. I’d like to pay tribute to their bravery in continuing to speak up.’

And former chief prosecutor Nazir Azfal tweeted: ‘They nearly let him out without this justice prevailing. He was and remains a threat to women, whatever he chooses to call himself. Lesson – sex offenders rarely tell the truth about their offending.’

John Worboys: 13-year timeline of black cab rapist’s sexual assaults

Black cab rapist John Worboys, 62, has pleaded guilty to drugging four more women in a bid to sexually assault them. Here is a timeline of some of the key events in the history of the case:


Worboys passes The Knowledge to become a taxi driver in London. He also continues working as a stripper at night. 


The first allegation of sexual assault is made that would later be linked to Worboys. Several more, all involving drivers of black cabs in London, are made over the next four years.


October 14: A 25-year-old woman meets John Worboys in Fulham, West London, and wakes up after a drink to find him assaulting her

November 9: A journalist gets into his cab in Regent Street and has a drink before falling unconscious, and later waking up with no memory of what happened


April: Worboys offers a 22-year-old woman a lift from Oxford Street to Middlesex for £30, before becoming aggressive when she refused to take a drink he offered her

June 29: Worboys offers to take an office worker from Regent Street to her home in Tufnell Park. She drank champagne and accused him of forcibly kissing her

July: Worboys picks up a student in Chelsea and offers her £50 to drink a glass of vodka, but she refuses to perform a sex act for £350

July 26: Worboys forces a pill into the mouth of a teenage student who got into his taxi at Covent Garden

July 27: Worboys is arrested after CCTV shows him carrying the teenager out of the cab at 4.30am, but he is released after denying sexual conduct

December 21: Victim claims Worboys raped her while driving her home to Putney from Tottenham Court Road. His DNA is found in a semen stain on her underwear


January 3: Worboys offers to take a 29-year-old insurance broker home to Hornchurch from the City for £20. She claimed he asked her to perform a sex act before exposing himself

January 31: A 31-year-old advertising director gets into his cab outside a Soho club for Herne Hill. She drinks champagne and is assaulted

February: A new mother returns home to Twickenham and her friend tells Worboys she is on maternity leave. She has a drink and felt drowsy, and her fiance later found her slumped by the toilet at home unable to move her legs

February 13: A 30-year-old journalist takes a cab with a friend outside a Central London restaurant, but only pretends to sip a drink Worboys gives her after she noticed fizzing and foil in the glass. She claimed he asked her to perform a sex act for £5,000, but she told police after his arrest

February 15: An 18-year-old woman and her friend get into Worboys cab at Oxford Street, and he offers her a drink after her friend is dropped off . She initially refused, before losing consciousness and finding herself still in the cab when she came round

February 16: Police arrest Worboys

February 18: Worboys faces charges including one count of rape, four counts of sexual assault and six counts of administering a substance with intent, following an investigation into five attacks. Police say 30 women answered an appeal.


January 20: Worboys’s trial begins as he denies 23 charges, including rape and sexual assault. He is accused of attacking 14 women

March 13: Worboys is convicted at Croydon Crown Court of one count of rape, five sexual assaults, one attempted assault and 12 drugging charges, committed from July 2007 to February 2008

April 21: Worboys is jailed indefinitely at Croydon Crown Court and told he must serve a minimum of eight years


January 20: The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPPC – now the Independent Office for Police Conduct) publishes its inquiry into a series of blunders by Metropolitan Police officers, five of whom were disciplined. They are criticised for missing crucial chances to catch Worboys.

June 15: Judges throw out Worboys’ appeal against conviction.

October 14:  Scotland Yard reveals Worboys may have attacked at least 102 women and say that 19 more victims have come forward since his conviction.


July 23: Two women who were seriously sexually assaulted by Worboys are awarded compensation totalling £41,250 from the Metropolitan Police. The force appeals the decision, finally losing the challenge in the Supreme Court in February 2018.


November: John Worboys is granted release from prison by the Parole Board after just eight years behind bars


January 4: The decision by the Parole Board is made public. Worboys’ victims were not told about the decision before it was announced

January 5: Professor Nick Hardwick, the Chairman of the Parole Board, apologises ‘unreservedly’ to victims who were not told about the decision

January 9: MPs including Labour’s Yvette Cooper and Tory Anna Soubry demand Worboys be banned from London over fears he knows where his victims live

January 13: Justice Secretary David Gauke takes advice on whether a judicial review could reverse the Parole Board’s controversial decision

January 16: The head of the Parole Board criticises ministers for considering challenging the decision

January 17: Victims launch crowdfunding campaign to raise funds to cover the legal fees for a judicial review of the case

January 19: Government decides not to pursue a legal challenge over his release

January 23: Worboys is transferred to HMP Belmarsh, south-east London, ahead of his release. Scotland Yard begin investigating a new sexual assault claim against him

January 25: London mayor Sadiq Khan files an application for a judicial review

January 26: Release of Worboys is put on hold after an ‘urgent application’ was made to the High Court on behalf of two of his victims for a stay of his release

February 4: Worboys is moved back out of the capital

February 7: Professor Hardwick outlines radical proposals to make the reasoning behind its decision public in the wake of outrage

February 21: Supreme Court rules that Met breached the human rights of two of Worboys’ victims by failing to properly investigate their claims, and awarded them £41,250. Decision could lead to other victims of serious crimes suing police forces

March 13: High Court challenge against decision to release Worboys by victims begins. It is revealed that the Parole Board decided to release Worboys because he had learned ‘not to hide negative thoughts and feelings’ during ‘positive’ treatment with psychologists. Court also hears that the board only considered the 12 victims he was convicted of attacking, not the 105 he is suspected of assaulting

March 28: High Court rules to overturn the decision to free him. Professor Hardwick stands down from role as Parole Board Chairman after being told by Justice Secretary David Gauke that his position was ‘untenable’

April 8: Mr Gauke admits he should take equal responsibility for decision that almost freed John Worboys

May: Victims and members of the public can request details of decisions to release criminals from prison for the first time.

August 13: Police question Worboys over more allegations of sexual assault

November 19: Parole Board says Worboys will remain in prison after reversing an earlier decision that he should be released


May 1: Worboys is charged with four further offences of drugging women to rape or sexually assault them

May 23: Worboys appears at Westminster Magistrates’ Court by video-link from Wakefield Prison.

June 20: Worboys pleads guilty to two counts of administering a stupefying or overpowering drug with intent to commit rape or indecent assault and two counts of administering a substance with intent to commit a sexual offence under the Sexual Offences Act.


(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *