Kevin Hart is apologizing ‘once again’ to the LGBTQ community for his decade-old homophobic tweets which has cost the comedian his hosting gig at the Oscars.
‘I will say this, and I want to make this very clear. And I’m going to say it just in case you guys try to take this sh*t and chop it up, I will rebuttal with this f*cking piece right here,’ Hart said on his SiriusXM show Straight from the Hart. ‘Once again, Kevin Hart apologizes for his remarks that hurt members of the LGBTQ community. I apologize.’
The comedian stepped down from hosting the Oscars last month after coming under heat for failing to apologize for resurfaced tweets dated from 2009 to 2011 in which the comedian spewed blatant anti-gay rhetoric.
He appeared on Ellen DeGeneres’s show Friday to speak on the controversy for the first time, which brought DeGeneres criticism from the LGBTQ community for dismissing those who have criticized Hart as ‘haters’ and ‘trolls.’
Hart said during his radio show that there now ‘has to be an acceptance for change’.
Kevin Hart apologized for his resurfaced homophobic tweets on his SiriusXM show Straight from the Hart. ‘Once again, Kevin Hart apologizes for his remarks that hurt members of the LGBTQ community. I apologize,’ he said
Hart tweeted Monday ahead of his SiriusXM radio show
‘I’m not debating right from wrong. I’ve already stated it’s wrong. But, the other side of it is this. If the fight from the LGBTQ community is equality, that’s the fight. The fight is the will and want for equality. I’m riding with you guys. I understand you,’ Hart said.
‘But in the fight for equality, that means that there has to be an acceptance for change. If you don’t want to accept people for their change, then where are you trying to get to the equal part?’ he added.
When given the ultimatum last month – apologize or the Academy could seek a new host- Hart originally declined because he said he was not the same man who tweeted the offensive remarks a decade prior.
‘I’ve said who I am now versus who I was then. I’ve done it. I’m not going to continue to go back and tap into the days of old when I’ve moved on and I’m in a completely different place in my life,’ he said last month in an Instagram video as a response to the ultimatum.
He echoed those sentiments on his radio show: ‘I think that in the times that we’re living in, we have to be understanding and accepting of people and change. Bottom line.’
One tweet in question read: ‘Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ”stop that’s gay.”’
Appearing on Friday’s episode of Ellen DeGeneres’ show, the legendary chat show star revealed she has been lobbying the Academy in the hope of his return to the role as she confessed she ‘really wants him to host’
The comedian has since deleted the tweets, but that wasn’t before screen captures began circulating online.
Just two days after the announcing that Hart would be the host of the 91st Oscars ceremony next month, he stepped down.
During the controversial sit-down Friday, DeGeneres told Hart that she has contacted the Academy and was told that organizers of the Oscars ceremony still want him to host and are interested in making it happen.
Hart admitted his is ‘evaluating’ the idea.
Since then, there hasn’t been any word from the Academy, with Deadline reporting that their, ‘highly reliable sources’ indicating that no one in Hollywood is interested in hosting, after the, ‘Hart debacle.’
With less than two months until the telecast on February 24, and no host named for yet, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are considering drastic alternatives.
There had previously been rumors that the Academy was considering using multiple hosts, with Deadline reporting that this is an option once again, as is using no host at all.
Neither the Academy nor producers Donna Gigliotti and Glenn Weiss have commented on the hosting vacancy, and haven’t even officially confirmed that previous host Kevin has bowed out.
Since then, there hasn’t been any word from the Academy, with Deadline reporting that their, ‘highly reliable sources’ indicating that no one in Hollywood is interested in hosting, after the, ‘Hart debacle’