LIVERPOOL have been dealt a huge blow in their pursuit of Nabil Fakir, according to reports.
The Lyon playmaker looked odds-on to move to Anfield before the World Cup after a £52million fee was agreed.
But the deal went cold due as Liverpool attempted to renegotiate the fee after issues cropped up in his medical.
Liverpool have already recruited Naby Keita, Xherdan Shaqiri, Fabinho and Alisson this summer.
Jurgen Klopp is still keen to bag a playmaker with recent reports suggested the deal could be revived.
But L’Equipe report Fekir is set to stay in Lyon this season, ending Klopp’s hopes of landing his main target.
Latest Liverpool news
Earlier this week Lyon chief Jean-Michel Aulas, revealed he was confident the French international will be at the Groupama Stadium when the transfer window shuts.
He told Canal +: “I do not think that Fekir will leave.
“He’s one of the best in France – and in the world, since he’s a world champion.
“He’s a Lyonnais (player), so he’ll be there next season.
“Although in football, nothing is ever certain. I haven’t had the impression that he absolutely wants to leave.
“He’s 90 per cent (certain)going to be at Lyon next season.
“If he hasn’t left by the end of July, he’ll stay.
“It’s not the size of the offer that will make us change our position on Fekir, but the wishes of Nabil himself.”
Fekir was outstanding for the Ligue 1 side last term scoring 23 goals with eight assists and formed a formidable understanding with Memphis Depay.
On Thursday, took to social media announcing they plan to honour Fekir’s success with a presentation on the pitch before their first match of the new Ligue 1 season against Amiens on August 12.
The ceremony is three days after the transfer window closes.
Lyon said on Twitter: “Nabil Fekir will be presented with the trophy of the World Cup for his return to Groupama Stadium on Sunday 12 August, on the occasion of the 1st day of the Ligue 1 and the reception of Amiens at 3pm!”