Mum’s warning after girl, 4, swallowed ‘dangerous’ magnet toys that can burn holes in intestines and bowel

A MUM is warning parents to chuck out magnet toys after her four-year-old swallowed balls that can burn holes in intestines and bowel.

Hayley Take’s daughter needed an emergency operation after she swallowed two small magnet balls while she was playing.

MEN Media

Hayley Take’s daughter needed an emergency operation after she swallowed two small magnet balls[/caption]

MEN Media

Her daughter needed an emergency operation[/caption]

Now she has taken to Facebook to urge parents of small children to get rid of dangerous toys in their homes.

In the post shared over 7,000 times she wrote: “Toy danger / hazardous warning.

“Not a post I ever thought I’d write. But I want to warn other parents of the dangers of magnets. 

“I’m sure there have been other posts but sadly I never saw one. 

“I will never forgive myself for buying them but my four-year-old daughter accidentally swallowed two of these magnet balls. 

“She’s just undergone surgery to remove them from her bowel.

“Once inside the body the magnets connect to each other with the organ tissue / lining being pinched in between, eventually burning a hole in it. 

“Luckily my daughter told me she had swallowed them so were able to act quickly.

“Please please I urge all parents if you have these magnet beads throw them away immediately. 

“Currently in the ward we are on there is a two-year-old who swallowed 14 of them. 

“The consultant said they have so many cases and they should be banned.”

MEN Media

The Child Accident Prevention Trust said there is “ a disturbing trend in serious injuries”[/caption]

MEN Media

She has taken to Facebook to urge parents of small children to get rid of dangerous toys in their homes[/caption]

The Child Accident Prevention Trust told Manchester Evening News there is“ a disturbing trend in serious injuries from children swallowing small, round, coloured magnets from magnetic toys”

They said: “The magnets stick together internally and through organs and tissues, and can cut off blood supply causing tissue to die. They are much more complex than button batteries to extract.

“The child will need emergency surgery, then, depending on the severity of the injuries, they may need numerous operations, bowel resection and time in paediatric intensive care.”

Last year an Australian toddler was lucky to survive after after she swallowed 32 ball bearing-style magnets from inside a toy during lockdown.

Imogen Ferguson, 18 months old, had to have emergency surgery to remove the deadly objects from her tummy and bowel, says a Melbourne surgeon.

The surgeon added: “These magnets can be extremely dangerous, and erode through intestinal tissue as they try and connect to each other.

“They cause multiple holes in the bowel and are potentially life-threatening.”

Link

(Visited 70 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply