THE Brazilian football star has been accused of raping a woman in a Paris hotel.
Here’s what we know about the allegations and how Neymar has responded.
What are the allegations against Neymar?
Neymar da Silva Santos Junior, 27, is said to have met the alleged victim on Instagram and then arranged for her to stay at the five star Sofitel Paris Arc du Triomphe.
But according to police documents, obtained by UOL Sport, Neymar, who signed for French club Paris Saint-Germain for a record £198m, arrived apparently drunk at the hotel on May 15 at 8pm.
According a Brazilian police report, the unnamed woman told investigators in Sao Paulo that she met Neymar on Instagram and he suggested they meet in Paris.
Neymar’s assistant sent her plane tickets and on May 15 she checked in to the hotel.
The woman told police she returned home to Brazil two days later without telling French cops about the alleged rape.
She said she was “emotionally shaken and afraid to register the facts in another country,” according to the report.
The accusation was the latest blow for the Brazilian, who last month was stripped of the captaincy of the national team and has seen his international reputation suffer amid incidents of indiscipline.
What has the Paris Saint-Germain star said?
Neymar has issued a denial via his management and also posted a video on Instagram.
He said the accusations were “attempted extortion”.
A statement posted on his website, said he completely repudiated the allegations.
The statement said “he was the victim of an attempted extortion, practiced by a lawyer from Sao Paulo who said he represented the interests of the alleged victim”.
“The player’s lawyers were immediately notified and have since taken all appropriate steps.
“We completely repudiate the unjust accusations and, above all, the exposure in the press of an extremely negative situation.
“All evidence of attempted extortion and non-rape will be submitted to the police authorities in a timely manner.”
He used the seven minute Instagram video to claim he was the victim of a “set up”.
“What happened that day was a relationship between man and woman, within four walls, something that happens with every couple,” he said in the video, according to a transcript in O Globo.
most read in football
“The next day nothing happened, we kept exchanging messages.
“It is very sad to believe that the world is like this. There are people who want to take advantage, extort other people, it is really sad, painful.”
He described the accusations as “a very boring situation, not only for me but also for my family”.