NHS nutritionist died stepping in front of train after her cheating husband was jailed for raping Tinder date

AN NHS nutritionist stepped in front of a passenger train after her cheating husband was jailed for raping a woman he met on Tinder, an inquest has heard.

Mum-of-three Yinka McKay, 40, suffered a mental breakdown when company director Rica was accused of treating his victim ‘like an animal” as they had violent sex at the end of a date.

Yinka McKay stepped in front of the passenger train one year after her husband was jailed
Cavendish Press

On June 27, a year after IT expert McKay, 47, was locked up for seven years, Mrs McKay who worked as a nutritionist at Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester, took her son to school then went to Birchwood railway station near her home in Warrington, Cheshire.

She emerged from bushes and stepped in front of the 9am Liverpool to Manchester East Midlands train which was travelling through at 80mph. She died from multiple injuries.

An inquest heard Mrs McKay had met her husband whilst she was studying at Aston University in Birmingham.

They married in 2000 and had three sons together. But the marriage began to crumble when McKay who was assigned to help with IT on the 2012 Olympic Games in London began working away from home.

Mrs McKay worked as a nutritionist at Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester
Cavendish Press

In a statement read to the Warrington hearing, Mrs McKay’s mother Irene Fatimilehin said: “During 2015 there were marital difficulties and that was the start of her struggles. She could not cope and started to become manic, her work was affected, she was upset all the time.

“Rica came home to stay for a few days during this time and she would also go down to see where he was living in London for a few days at a time.

“On her return from the visits she started to show some evidence of paranoia, I moved in to help her out.

“She was seen by a psychiatrist and commenced on medication. The problems continued in the marriage. She continued to receive treatment and she was treated for anxiety. In early 2016, Rica was accused of rape and she decided that they should have a trial separation.”

Cavendish Press

Her mother said in 2015, Yinka became ‘manic’ and she was ‘upset all the time’[/caption]

The statement continued: “In January 2017, Yinka learned that Rica would appear in court for rape. She started to deteriorate again and that was the start of her second breakdown. She did not sleep for days and was taking medication.

“In March 2017, Rica was sentenced to seven years in prison and Yinka started to apply for a divorce from him, she had OCD and anxiety would hit her anytime.”

Recalling the day of the tragedy her mother added: “The next morning she took one of the boys to school in the car and left at 8.45am. She would usually come home straight away. When she wasn’t home for 9, I called her and she said she was waiting to speak to a teacher. I ended the call with ‘God bless’ and she replied the same.

“I kept calling and texting her but did not hear from her. In the months before her death she had attempted and talked about taking her own life. She had visited the same train station before.”

Train driver Christopher Winters whose colleague was driving the locomotive whilst he was in the cab described seeing a female step out from the bushes on the platform.

He said: ”I only saw her for about 10-15 seconds, the female almost skipped out of the bushes and into the middle of the railway track. The emergency brakes were applied.”

Recording a conclusion of suicide, coroner Heath Westerman said: “On the balance of probabilities she did the act herself and by doing so she intended to end her own life. I extend my sincere condolences to the remaining family.”

During McKay’s rape trial at Chester Crown Court, the victim said she had met him via the dating app in December 2015 before they exchanged numbers and messages on WhatsApp.

In January 2016 they went on a date in Chester and kissed before McKay drove the woman home and asked if he could ‘come in for a cup of tea.’ She agreed and the pair initially had consensual sex but as he was about to leave McKay demanded intercourse again and attacked her.

In a statement the woman said: “I was doing all I could to get him out of the house. He sent me a message at 4am and said ‘thank you for kicking me out’.

“When I went upstairs there were unused condoms. I felt he was quite dominant in his sexual behaviour and style. I felt like an animal.”

McKay was found guilty of two counts of rape and was sentenced to a total of seven years in prison.

  • IF you are having suicidal thoughts, suffering from anxiety or depression or just want to talk, call The Samaritans on 116 123.


(Visited 31 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply