ROSE Waters loved to spoil her pampered pooches, but was ready for a challenge to save some cash.
So the thrifty 25-year-old from Liverpool attempted to live on £1 a day, setting aside the savings she made to buy treats for her dogs, six-year-old Precious and four-year-old Lucy.
Rose, who is unemployed and lives with her parents, has always been a savvy shopper.
But she was almost forced to take on the challenge. She said: “I missed an appointment, which meant I didn’t receive my monthly £250 benefits — so I needed to feed myself on as little as possible.”
In our weekly Meet The Saver feature, Rose shares her secrets on how she made the most of her money.
- Be organised. Rose keeps track of all her spending, as she can then look back to see where she’s overspent. She says: “It’s crazy to see how much you can spend in a month but having evidence of it can show you where you could save money.” She keeps receipts and vouchers in mini folders she bought off eBay. Check that out for some savvy organisation!
- Think of new ways to save money. Have you got something in mind you want to buy? Think of ways you can make the money to pay for it. When Rose needed a new bed and mattress, she saved up by taking online surveys on sites such as Toluna, Valued Opinions and Panelbase. She also used shopping apps like Shoppix, Shopprize and Receipt Hog. It took a few months but she earned £150 in Amazon vouchers.
- Consider cutting out meat. Rose became a vegan two years ago, which means she saves money on expensive cuts of meat — but she’s seen health benefits too. She says: “It was mainly to be healthier, but also for animal welfare. Cutting out meat and dairy products even helped me with my asthma and eczema.”
- Stay in. Entertaining with friends in the form of meals and drinks out can be very expensive, so Rose prefers to stay in with friends and family. She says: “Some of my best moments have been with friends or family playing board games or watching an old film together.” You can find cheap board games and DVDs in charity shops and car boot sales for a couple of quid.
- Stock up on tins. Rose likes to stock up on tinned food so she can always make a cheap meal with what’s in her store cupboard. She says: “I actually just bought loads of tins. I buy things like beans, coconut milk, soups and tinned veg like sweetcorn. I use coconut milk in my curries or desserts and I could have beans with any meal to be honest – I love them!”
Reader’s saving tip
JOHN HUTTON, from Weymouth, Dorset, says: “Unblock your sink by using one tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda. Sprinkle in the plughole and wash down with vinegar – so much cheaper than the various brands available.”
- Send us your tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Deal of the day
OFF for a weekend getaway? Travel around the UK with Virgin Trains as they’ve scrapped Friday walk-up peak fares from London Euston. Save up to £125.55 on last-minute trips to Manchester.
SAVE: Up to £125.55
Save a fiver
Save a fiver selected ModelCo products at Boots[/caption]
BOOTS has slashed one third off the price of selected ModelCo products. Get a tan in a can with the brand’s Airbrush In A Can, was £15, now £10.
My Sun Savers fiver
ROSE is a new Sun Saver and it’s no surprise what she plans to spend her first fiver on – treats for her dogs!
- Send your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include name and town.
- PRICES correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
CALLING Peppa Pig fans. Pick up 2 for £3 on strawberry-flavour ice lollies at Asda. Usually £2 each.
Shop & save
TREAT kids to a meal out at Cafe Rouge this summer, and they can eat for just £1 with every full-price main purchased. Kids’ Menu usually £7.95. T&Cs apply.
Win a year’s food shop
4 x £5,000 prizes
THE weekly food shop can soon add up if you have a hungry family to feed.
But don’t worry because, starting today, Sun Savers is giving you the chance to win one of four prizes of £5,000 to help pay for your groceries for a year – meaning you can throw in a few extra treats in the weekly shop too.
To be in with a chance of winning, simply collect TEN Sun Savers codes from between today, Saturday, July 28, and Tuesday, August 14.
If you are not already a Sun Savers member, simply download the Sun Savers app or register at sunsavers.co.uk. It only takes minutes to sign up.
Already a Sun Savers member? Don’t forget to update your app in the app store.
Then collect ten codes by scanning them via the app or entering them online at sunsavers.co.uk — before Tuesday, August 14.
Each code also counts towards the 28 you need to get your free Sun Savers fiver.
Once you have entered ten codes, click enter in “Win your Groceries” in the offers’ section.
The contest closes on Monday, August 27, after which our winners will be chosen at random. Good luck!
Terms and Conditions
Collect TEN Sun Savers codes from the 18 printed in The Sun between Saturday, July 28, and Tuesday, August 14, 2018.
The last chance to join in is Sunday, August 5.
Competition closes at 23:59pm on Monday, August 27.
Over 18, residents of the UK only. One entry per person. Winners will be selected at random from all valid entries.
There will be four winners of 1 x £5,000 cash. Allow seven days from entry closing for the draw to take place. Winners will then be notified within 14 days.
Please allow 28 days for receipt of prizes. Prize is non-transferable. Your information will only be used for the purposes of this competition.
Promoter is News Group Newspapers Ltd. Not open to staff of the Promoter and promotional partner or their families.
The winners will be asked to participate in reasonable publicity relating to this competition.
The Editor’s decision is final. For a list of winners, please send a stamped addressed envelope to News UK, Competitions Department, 1 London Bridge Street, London SE1 9GF, stating which competition you would like the winners’ details for.
Win a caravan worth over £45,000
THERE is still time to enjoy as many getaways as you want with this amazing Sun Savers competition.
One lucky reader will win a luxury two-bedroom caravan, as well as a year’s pitch fees, one year’s payment for water rates, two years’ electricity, gas and insurance and even a TV – worth more than £45,000 in total.
The winner will be able to choose the site for their fabulous caravan from 31 Haven Holidays parks across the UK.
Holiday home ownership with Haven offers you the choice of 31 distinctive holiday parks, along some of Britain’s most spectacular coastal spots.
Haven has plenty of exclusive owners-only facilities, plus parties and events throughout the season so as a winner you can also become part of a close-knit community and escape to your home away from home whenever you choose.
For a full list of parks and their great facilities, see sunoffers. co.uk/caravan. If not already a Sun Savers member, download the Sun Savers app or see sunsavers.co.uk.
Then collect TEN Sun Savers codes before Tuesday, August 7 by scanning them via the app or entering them online at sunsavers.co.uk.
Once you have entered ten codes, you will be prompted to enter the competition which you must do by Monday, August 20.
Terms and Conditions
Collect TEN Sun Savers codes from the 18 printed in The Sun between Saturday, July 21, and Tuesday, August 7, 2018.
Last chance to join in is this Sunday, July 29. Competition closes at 23:59pm on Monday, August 20, 2018.
Over 18, residents of the UK only, excluding Northern Ireland. One entry per person. The winner will be selected at random from all valid entries. There will be ONE winner only.
Caravan site will be subject to pitch availability. Caravan will not be on site until after Sunday, March 31, 2019.
All other prizes included will not become valid or supplied until the caravan has been sited.
Allow 28 days from entry closing for the draw to take place. Winner will then be notified within seven days. No cash alternative to prize in whole or in part. Prize is non-transferable.
The Editor’s decision is final.
- See full terms at sunoffers.co.uk/caravan.
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
IF you are not already part of our fantastic Sun Savers Raffle, don’t miss out as the paper you’re holding could be worth an incredible £15,000. Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our fab £15,000 monthly Raffle.
But be quick because our next draw is at the end of July, so join in now.
Plus, for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you will get a GOLDEN TICKET for your chance to win our huge £80,000 Raffle, which takes place every three months. The next £80k Raffle is drawn at the end of September.
To get involved, opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily inside your favourite paper.
You can find today’s Sun Savers code on Page 16. With every Sun Savers code you enter into the Sun Savers app or website, you will automatically earn a ticket for that month’s £15,000 Raffle.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect per month, so make sure you enter as many Sun Savers codes as you can to give yourself the best chance of winning.
Not already a Sun Savers member? Just search “Sun Savers” in the app store and download the app or head to sunsavers.co.uk. To get started, all you need to do is enter a few details.
- See full terms & conditions at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
most read in money
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.