Former footballer Paul Gascoigne insists he’s innocent after he was charged with sexual assaulting a woman on a train between York and Durham.
The ex-England midfielder was detained at Durham railway station in August after claims he inappropriately touched the woman.
After a three-month investigation, the 51-year-old has been charged with one count of sexual assault by touching, British Transport Police announced this afternoon.
The star’s manager told MailOnline he vehemently denies the claims and would continue making public appearances ahead of his first court appearance.
Paul Gascoigne, pictured (left) during a theatre appearance in Portsmouth ten days ago, has been charged with sexual assault. He was pictured (right) in Newcastle three days after he was held by police over the the alleged sexual assault
Gascoigne had been watching boxing in Belfast the weekend before the allegation was made
Gascoigne’s representative, Shane Whitfield, said: ‘He totally denies this and is innocent until proven guilty.
‘People are always trying to accuse him of some wrongdoing and put him down. It’s unfair. He’s staying strong because he’s innocent.’
The agent said he was ‘surprised’ by the charge, adding: ‘I don’t know what happened but Paul says he didn’t assault any passenger on a train.
‘But it is what it is. He’s been charged and he’ll have to go to court. Hopefully it won’t set him back. He’s told me he’s innocent.
‘He’s got work commitments to fulfill, his next “Evening with Gazza” is in December in Nottinghamshire and he plans to be there.’
Referring to Gascoigne’s long running battle with alcohol problems, Mr Whitfield said the star has his ‘good days and bad days’, but insisted: ‘He’ll bounce back from this and it will be business as usual.’
Gascoigne was pictured with boxing fans at Windsor Park, Belfast two days before he was held
The 51-year-old was detained by police at Durham station, pictured, following the allegations
Mr Whitfield spoke to MailOnline this afternoon after British Transport Police announced the charge.
A police spokesman said today: ‘A man is due to appear in court next month charged in connection with the sexual assault of a woman on board a train from York to Durham.
‘Paul Gascoigne, of Leicester, was charged via postal requisition with one count of sexual assault by touching, contrary to Section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
‘The charge relates to an incident on board a train on August 20 this year.’
He will appear at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates’ Court in County Durham on December 11.
Gascoigne posted this picture on Facebook the day after he was held. It is thought the picture was taken the weekend before the incident, when he travelled to Northern Ireland with friends
He had been pictured at a boxing event in Belfast two days before the alleged offence after apparently flew to Northern Ireland with friends on a private jet.
A police spokesman said at the time of the allegation: ‘Officers were called to Durham station at 6.45pm on Monday August 20 following reports that a woman had been sexually assaulted on board a CrossCountry train from York.
Gascoigne rose to fame at Newcastle United in the 1980s before moving to Tottenham Hotspur. He found worldwide renown during his appearances for England at the World Cup 1990.
He later played for a host of clubs, including Lazio in Italy, Glasgow Rangers in Scotland and Everton and Middlesbrough in the English Premier League.
The later part of his career was dogged with claims of alcohol abuse and he has struggled with alcoholism since retiring from football in 2004.
Gascoigne became one of England’s most popular players during the 1990 World Cup in Italy