Piers Morgan calls on Britons to ‘stand up for our Queen’ as he lays into Harry and Meghan

Piers Morgan has called on Britons to ‘stand up for our Queen’ while accusing Harry and Meghan of leading a campaign to paint the Royal Family as a ‘bunch of heartless racists’.

The former GMB host took to Twitter to slam the Duke and Duchess of Sussex a week after resigning from his presenter role for refusing to apologise for comments he made about the couple’s controversial interview with Oprah.

He took aim at the couple again last night, writing: ‘There’s a very deliberate & malicious campaign being perpetrated by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to smear, defame and trash Britain, our Monarchy & the Royal Family as a bunch of heartless racists. It’s disgusting. 

‘Time to stand up for our Queen.’

It is the latest chapter in the fallout from Harry and Meghan’s explosive interview with Oprah where the couple suggested that the Royal family was racist, claiming that one unnamed member was concerned over how dark their son Archie’s skin would be. 

Piers Morgan slammed Harry and Meghan last night, adding that it was 'time to stand up for our Queen'

Piers Morgan slammed Harry and Meghan last night, adding that it was 'time to stand up for our Queen'

Piers Morgan slammed Harry and Meghan last night, adding that it was ‘time to stand up for our Queen’

Piers had declared the Duchess of Sussex's incendiary claims to Oprah (pictured) about the Royal Family 'contemptible' and said: 'I don't believe almost anything that comes out of her mouth'

Piers had declared the Duchess of Sussex's incendiary claims to Oprah (pictured) about the Royal Family 'contemptible' and said: 'I don't believe almost anything that comes out of her mouth'

Piers had declared the Duchess of Sussex’s incendiary claims to Oprah (pictured) about the Royal Family ‘contemptible’ and said: ‘I don’t believe almost anything that comes out of her mouth’

Meghan, who is pregnant with the couple’s second child having suffered a miscarriage previously, also opened up about her struggles with mental health during her time with the royals both before and after Megxit.

Speaking after the bombshell interview aired, Piers said he did not believe the duchess’s remarks in her interview with Winfrey, during which she spoke about her mental health and having suicidal thoughts. 

He then stormed off set after GMB weatherman Alex Beresford took exception to his comments about Meghan.   

Shortly afterwards, he left his role as presenter after refusing to apologise for his remarks. 

Prince William was the first royal to publicly address the claims, telling reporters while on a royal visit last week: ‘We’re very much not a racist family’. 

The Queen and Prince Charles later backed the Duke of Cambridge’s comments, according to palace sources.  

Last week, he warned free speech was the ‘most important’ issue in modern Britain following his exit from the show. 

GMB’s ratings took an embarrassing dive on the first Monday morning without Piers, it was revealed today.

Ben Shephard – who traditionally co-hosts the show on Thursdays and Fridays – stepped into Pier’s empty chair alongside Susanna Reid. 

But the show’s ratings took a hit, with its average viewers down by 255,700 compared to last Monday.

Yesterday’s show had just 1.3 million people tuning in at its peak – with an average of 895,700 viewers.

Mr Morgan resigned from the daytime show after an on-air row with colleague Alex Beresford who criticised him for 'continuing to trash' the Duchess of Sussex

Mr Morgan resigned from the daytime show after an on-air row with colleague Alex Beresford who criticised him for 'continuing to trash' the Duchess of Sussex

Mr Morgan resigned from the daytime show after an on-air row with colleague Alex Beresford who criticised him for ‘continuing to trash’ the Duchess of Sussex

For comparison, one Monday prior – on March 8 – 1.9 million viewers tuned in to watch the panel react to the Megan and Harry Oprah interview which aired overnight. Its viewership averaged out at 1,151,400 million.

And yesterday’s views were also down on the Monday before that. On March 1, GMB’s peak viewers hit 1.7 millon, with an average of 978,000.  

Piers wrote yesterday : ‘To all my supporters, I just wanted to drop you a note of thanks. (To all my haters, whatever.) 

‘It has been an extraordinary week for me, for Britain, for our monarchy and for our future.

‘Those of you that know me well enough know that, despite my many faults, I’m always willing to stand my ground for the things that I think matter most.

‘My fervent opposition to the Iraq War led to my demise from the Daily Mirror. My outspoken views on the insanity of American gun laws led to the end of my time at CNN.

‘And now I’ve lost my job at Good Morning Britain because I chose not to apologise for disbelieving Meghan Markle’s claims in her interview with Oprah Winfrey.’

Morgan went on to claim that he was the victim of ‘cancel culture’.

Meanwhile, royal warfare erupted again last night after Harry and Meghan revealed deeply private family conversations to a journalist friend

Meanwhile, royal warfare erupted again last night after Harry and Meghan revealed deeply private family conversations to a journalist friend

Meanwhile, royal warfare erupted again last night after Harry and Meghan revealed deeply private family conversations to a journalist friend

He added: ‘I thus became the latest ‘’victim’’ of the cancel culture that is permeating our country, every minute, of every hour, of everyday. Though of course, I consider myself to be neither a victim, nor actually cancelled.

‘However, I do believe the defence of free speech and the right to express honestly held opinions, is the most important issue of my career, and the most important issue in British society.’

It comes after it was revealed Good Morning Britain lost 80,000 viewers the day after Piers quit – while its rival BBC Breakfast’s audience grew by 200,000.

Meanwhile, royal warfare erupted again last night after Harry and Meghan revealed deeply private family conversations to a journalist friend.

They told Gayle King that the prince had finally spoken to his father and brother following the explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey.

Hours later, Miss King disclosed on American TV that the talks ‘were not productive’. The breakfast show host also suggested that Meghan was unhappy no one in the Royal Family had thought to telephone her.

And, in a thinly-veiled threat, the presenter said the duchess had ‘documents to back up everything she said on Oprah’s interview’.

The fact the Sussexes chose to reveal sensitive discussions between senior members of the Royal Family met with an icy response from Buckingham Palace.

‘None of the households – the Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – will be giving a running commentary on private conversations,’ said a senior royal source.

link

(Visited 105 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply