The Duke of Sussex has launched legal action against the owners of the Sun and the Daily Mirror over allegations his voicemail messages were illegally intercepted.
Prince Harry, 35, filed claims at the High Court, Buckingham Palace confirmed.
A royal source confirmed Harry had filed the documents ‘regarding the illegal interception of voicemail messages’ but that as the particulars of the claims were not yet public, there could be no further comment.
It is not yet known when the duke’s allegations date from.
The Duke of Sussex has launched legal action against the owners of the Sun and the Daily Mirror over allegations his voicemail messages were illegally intercepted
News Group Newspapers, which owns The Sun, confirmed it is one of the companies involved.
A spokesperson has said ‘we confirm that a claim has been issued by the Duke of Sussex – we have no further comment to make at the current time’.
MGN limited, which owns the Daily Mirror, was revealed in court documents as the other company that has received a claim.
A source at Reach plc, which owns the Mirror, said they were aware that proceedings had been issued but had not yet received them, so they were unable to comment further.
Prince Harry, 35, filed claims at the High Court, Buckingham Palace has confirmed
A royal source confirmed Harry had filed the documents ‘regarding the illegal interception of voicemail messages’
It comes after the duke released a statement accusing media outlets of ‘relentless propaganda’ and ‘bullying’, saying he feared his wife Meghan, 38, has fallen victim to the ‘same powerful forces’ his mother Diana did before her death.
The statement was released after the royal couple announced Meghan had decided to take legal action against the Mail on Sunday following publication of a letter to her estranged father Thomas Markle.
On Tuesday, Prince Harry scolded a TV journalist for asking him a question during his visit to a health clinic in Malawi.
Sky News royal reporter Rhiannon Mills asked the Duke of Sussex an unscheduled question as he got into a car after a visit to the Mauwa Health Centre.
Harry had told a group of young people to ‘hold on to your dreams’ while talking to them as he visited the clinic during his ten-day tour of southern Africa.
But as he was being led away into a waiting vehicle by palace officials, Ms Mills asked him: ‘That short conversation, what do you hope to achieve through it?
Prince Harry was asked a question as he left the Mauwa Health Centre in Malawi on Tuesday
Sky News royal reporter Rhiannon Mills asked the Duke of Sussex the unscheduled question
He replied: ‘What? Ask them’, pointing back towards the hospital – but the reporter added: ‘Is that why it’s important for you to come and talk to them?’
Harry appeared to become frustrated with Ms Mills and gestured for her to move away from him as he got into the car, saying: ‘Rhiannon, don’t behave like this.’
The confrontation took place hours before the prince released the statement.
Sky News royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills, pictured in November 2017
During Harry’s visit to the clinic in Malawi, he sat down for a private chat with the teenagers, after learning about the work of medical staff and other employees at the clinic.
Sitting outside but under cover from the searing sun, the discussion was supposed to be about sexual health but also touched on other topics the duke is passionate about, including climate change and conservation.
A health official said: ‘They asked him what challenges he faced when growing up and he did have challenges but he said they were not similar as the context was different.
‘He told the young people to ‘hold on to your dreams’ and he urged them to show kindness, empathy and work together.’
Harry had travelled to the village of Blantyre to see an innovative project funded by the US and UK Governments which is ensuring that vaccines, drugs and other treatments are more readily available.
The duke embarked on a ten-day tour of southern Africa with wife Meghan and thier son Archie.