PRINCE William has been teased by his younger brother for years about his ever-increasing hair loss.
But a transplant surgeon claims new dad Prince Harry’s bald patch has nearly doubled in the past year.
Dr Asim Shahmalak from Manchester’s Crown Clinic claimed the Duke of Sussex, 34, has been experiencing the same acceleration of hair loss as Prince William.
Yesterday Prince Harry left behind his wife and new baby Archie to launch the Invictus Games countdown in Holland.
And Harry’s bald patch was right on show and now extends completely down the back of his scalp.
The Harley Street consultant told Fabulous Digital: “Fatherhood has definitely not been kind to Prince Harry’s hair.
“You can see a definite acceleration in his male pattern baldness in the last few months.
“Stress IS a factor in hair loss so the struggles of combining his royal duties with marriage and becoming a father for the first time maybe a reason why his hair is thinning noticeably across the top of his scalp.
“A much more significant factor, though, is the strong baldness gene running through the whole Windsor family.
“It started with Prince Philip and has now been passed down to Prince Charles and on to his sons Prince William and Prince Harry. Let’s hope baby Archie doesn’t get it, too!
Although his hair was definitely starting to thin at his wedding in May 2018, it was a lot thicker on the sides[/caption]
Yesterday Harry’s bald patch was right on show and shows extreme thinning all over his head[/caption]
“William got it first and has the strongest baldness gene of all the royals – he was losing a lot of his hair in his early 20s.
“Harry’s baldness was slower to take off but now, aged 34, he is catching up his brother fast, particularly in the crown area.”
The hair professional said around 30 per cent of men have experienced some form of hair loss by Harry’s age – so his case is not unusual, particularly when you have a baldness gene running in the family.
Dr Shahmalak said that Prince Harry could have come under pressure from his bride Meghan to tackle his hair loss.
By October 2018, Harry’s hair loss appears to be spreading down the sides[/caption]
He said: “She was a Hollywood actress in her former career so she knows very well the value of looking good.
“A lot of my clients come due to subtle pressure applied by their partners who would rather not be dating a bald man.”
Harry always loved mocking his brother for his hair loss, once quipping: “I think he definitely is brainier than I am, but we established that at school, along with his baldness.”
Dr Shahmalak, whose celeb clients include Calum Best and TV’s Dr Christian Jessen, added that Prince Harry could tackle his baldness now by having a hair transplant.
He said: “There is still time for Harry to combat the problem and restore his lost hair.
“He needs to act now before it is too late. Prince William could not be helped – he would not have enough donor hair to cover his bald patches.”
He also suggested that Harry may have grown his beard to compensate for his thinning hair.
Harry became a dad for the first time on Monday, with Meghan giving birth to baby Archie[/caption]
He said: “It is very common for men who are thinning on top to grow a beard. It does detract a little for the hair loss in the scalp.
“Beards are also a sign of virility and men are often reassured by the fact that while they may be losing hair on top, it still grows well in other parts of their body.”
Dr Shahmalak has seen a 25 per cent surge in hair transplants since footballer Wayne Rooney had his in 2011.
Wills decided not to go under the knife – and instead forked out £180 on a No1 buzz cut back in January.
It’s been a whirlwind year for Prince Harry with the hugely-publicised royal wedding last May, and most recently becoming a dad on Monday.
Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor was born at 5.26am on Monday and weighed 7lbs 3oz.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had been preparing for a home birth at Frogmore Cottage in the grounds of Windsor Castle.
But late on Sunday the Duchess was driven to the exclusive Portland private hospital in central London by Harry and their Scotland Yard security team.
Meghan remained in the £15,000-a-night hospital overnight before going into labour in the early hours of Monday morning.
Sources said the operation to get Meghan – who was a week overdue – to the clinic was so secret that even senior royals weren’t told.
Within hours of the dawn birth, the couple were back at Frogmore where Harry, 34, gave an impromptu press conference to break the news to the world.
More on the royal family
We also revealed how Meghan continued a 70-year royal tradition by swaddling baby Archie in iconic blanket.
Sun doctor Carol Cooper had said previously it was more likely Meghan will have opted for a caesarean because of her age as she warned about the dangers of older mums giving birth.