Parfois, we arrive at the gym with all the will in the world to transform its silhouette, a shape firm and well defined. But, we realize not be certain of what you really should do to get there…
What are the best exercises and how should we perform them?
It becomes confusing because there are so many…
Well, some years gain in efficiency more than others. Let’s say that if you have to choose from, the basic exercises the following, carried out such as shown to win the first place. By their simplicity of movement, their effectiveness to bring results and ease of execution virtually anywhere, with little equipment. Therefore, they should go back fairly regularly in your programs of bodybuilding.
Table of contents
The best strength exercises to develop a firm body and a cut
1. The best general exercise regardless of your goal: squats
You are looking to lose cellulite on your thighs, the small holes in your butt, the bourlets on your belly or lower back, you feel stronger, firmer and more in shape, squats should never be set aside. There are many forms of squats that can be performed with or without weights (free weights, kettlebell, olympic bar, etc.):
Variations of the Squat
- Squat front and rear; Front or Back squat
- Sumo squat
- Goblet squat with a free weight or kettlebell in the hands, and at the level of the chest
- Split squat, lunge or walikng lunge
- Bulgarian squat
- The thrusters
- Pistol squat or squat to a leg
- Jump squat
- And the list goes on! There are over 40 different variations of the squat.
All these movements are excellent and vary allows you to work the muscles of the lower limbs differently. By contrast, the winner in all categories remains the back squat! Why?
- Because it is seeking hundreds of muscles from the top to the bottom of the body.
- Because it is the exercise which allows you to put the greatest burden while involving as many muscles.
- Because only by involving as many muscle fibers and lifting as much weight, it stimulates the production of growth hormone more than any exercise!
- Because it requires a lot of energy to be run and dramatically enhances the metabolism by the recovery and the manufacturing of new muscle fibers. This also makes it an excellent exercise to lose belly.
Not only are your muscles working to perform this, but being very demanding, your heart is also!
For all the benefits of a back squat, it is an inevitable of any training program.
How to properly perform the back squat
- Initially, the bar on the squat rack should be at a height of 2-3 inches below the collarbone.
Affix the bar behind the neck, over the shoulders and hold the bar with hands on each side. Place your feet approximately shoulder-width apart. The toes open 30 to 45 degrees to the outside (aligned with the direction of the knee).
Contact with the ground
Put the majority of the weight on the heels (not the toes). If you have difficulty keeping your heels on the ground by a lack of flexibility, try taking a wider stance. If the problem persists, you can also do it like on the video and put your heels on a surface slightly elevated. But, prioritizes, direct contact on the ground.
While inhaling, contract the abs to help ensure a good stability level of the spine, and then go down, keeping the back as vertical as possible. Avoid leaning forward. Look right in front of you during the movement and do as if you were going to sit towards the back. Concentrate to keep the body contracted to do the bend back towards the outside or the inside. Go down until your hips are just below the knees or until your flexibility will allow.
As you exhale, contract your thighs and your gluteal muscles by bringing your hips forward. Pushes the load to the top to return to the initial position. Make sure you keep the knees outward throughout the movement. The abs tight and the back straight. Help yourself by straightening the arm to a vertical position and engaging your back in push. And then, inspired, begins again.
The back squat can also be performed:
- without the weight,
- with a large elastic on the shoulders and under the feet,
- with small elastic at the ankles and knees,
- with free weights on each side of the hips or on the shoulders,
- or even with a bar at the top of the head,
the technical demeurre the same.
To strengthen, develop and strengthen specifically the quadriceps: the front squat
Although more difficult to perform than a back squat and to put a less heavy, the front squat demeurre a great muscle builder and physical capacities. Especially if you want to increase the strength of your quadriceps. This can be useful for multiple sports such as weightlifting, crossfit, football, rudby, cycling and many others. Or if you have clearly hamstrings more developed than the quadriceps.
How to properly perform the front squat
- Initially, the bar on the squat rack should be at a height of 2-3 inches below the collarbone.
Position of the upper body
Place your hands around the same width as a shoulder press. Then, by positioning the bar above the collarbone and be supported on the deltoid anterior, lifts the elbows so that your arms tend towards the horizontal. Your fingers should be in brackets without grabbing the bar. If you lack flexibility to raise the arm to the horizontal and keep the back straight during the movement, you can also place your arms and your hands crossed and to the horizontal, the elbows high and the hands on the bar. Make sure that the bar can stay securely in place on your shoulders, without you strangle.
Position of the feet
The bar “die-racké” and well-positioned, place your feet about a shoulders ‘ width. The toes open 30 to 45 degrees to the outside (aligned with the direction of the knees).
Breathing and holding
Put the majority of the weight on the heels (not the toes), take a deep breath in, contract the abs to help ensure a good stability level of the spine, and then descend in holding your breath up to a quarter of the ascent.
The chest high, weight on the heels by going to sit towards the back, with the knees outward and the elbows, rights and high. Descend until the hips are at least at the level of the knees.
The body positioned the same way as for the descent, pulling the hips forward as you focus to push on with the weight on the heels. At a quarter of the way, let out your air slowly so that it is output in full at the top of the ascent. Then, take your breath and start again.
The front squat can also be done with a free weight or kettlebell in the hands, and at the level of the chest, the technique demeurre the same.
2. To thighs toned and buttocks well-rounded: the deadlift, bulgarian squat, and hip thrust
What woman doesn’t dream of having firm buttocks and swollen like two beautiful melons?!
But, how to build up his butt enough to not look like an ironing board??
Although squats are also here the answer to this existential question, the deadlift is without a doubt the champion for developing the glutes and hamstrings strong. Requesting also the muscles of the back, it is also a good exercise in construction and power take-off aggregate.
This being said, in regards to buttocks of steel, lunges or bulgarian squat and the hip thrust does not give their place no more!
In fact, several of the exercises are very effective to enhance your curves post:
The best exercises for the buttocks
- Obviously, the squats,
- The deadlift: romanian deadlift, stiffleg deadlift, sumo deadlift and other variations of the deadlift,
- The bulgarian split squat,
- The slots or lunges or split squat,
- The hip thrust or bridge,
- The steps up,
- Kick back with the pulley or with elastic,
- Good morning.
Personally, I really like the bulgarians squats. Well done, this movement is quickly felt in the buttocks and thighs, even without the use of weight.
The three exercises presented here will therefore be the “romanian deadlift” as well as the “stiff legged deadlift” which are similar in their execution, the bulgarian squat and the hip thrust (bridge).
How well do the romanian or stiff legged deadlift
- The two movements start from the top with the bar held with the arms straight and the back straight. Taken approximately to the width of the shoulder, hands in normal position (pronation), or both hands grip the opposite (mixed), with or without straps.
Movement eccentric of the stiff legged deadlift
For the stiff legged deadlift, inspires down the bar. Keeping your legs straight (with knees very slightly bent so that they are not totally tight) and hips the most possible in the same position. Moves the bar in front of the body and come down as low as possible, depending on your flexibility to keep your back straight or slightly arched. If you are flexible enough, the weight can touch the floor.
Movement eccentric romanian deadlift
In the case of the romanian deadlift, inspires down the bar as close as possible to the legs. Move the hips backward and bend slightly (10-20 degrees) at the knees to keep the shins more vertical as possible. The weight should be on heels. Stops the descent where the bottom of the back of the limit. That is to say, to keep it straight and never round it up and without bending more at the knees. The bar should not go as low as for the stiff legged (just below the knees).
The wound of the two movements is simply the opposite motion of their descent. Keep the back straight and pulling the hips forward while exhaling during this movement. Then, resume your breathing by repeating the descent.
How to properly perform the bulgarian squat
- The bulgarian squat is very much like the lunges or split squat. The difference is that you have to position your back leg to the top of your foot is supported on a bench (a bench, the gym or a chair for example). Sets the distance front-to-back of your legs to be able to get off the buttocks at the level of the knee of your front leg. And, the width of your feet, to be stable. The back should remain straight throughout the movement.
The arms along the body, with or without weight in hands, go down in the slot so that your front leg is 90 degrees between the thigh and the calf. You can go lower if you can and don’t feel any pain in the lower back or only have the arch.
Goes back simply to the initial position by contracting the buttock of the front leg. Make sure you keep the back straight, but also the hips forward. And then, again several times and do the same thing with the other leg.
How to properly perform the hip thrust (bridge)
- The hip thrust can be performed on the back and feet on the floor or the back on a bench, the gym and feet on the floor. In both cases, prepares your body weight (or a flat, a free weight or a bar). In a sitting position on the floor, positioning your weight to the hips. You can use a small towel to avoid that the weight does not endolorisse the groin (area between the upper thigh and the belly). Sit then on the floor or supports your shoulder blades on the side of a bench. Positioning your feet at shoulder width apart and at a distance of about one foot from your buttocks.
The buttocks on the ground, legs bent and parallel, push on your heels and contracting your butt for soulèver the hips up and bring the weight as high as possible by bending entirely the hips. Never arch the back. If you’re on the ground, your calves should be vertical and the rest of the body right up to the tops of the shoulder blades. If you are accôtée on a bench, your body should form an L facing the ground. That is to say, the calves at 90 degrees with the rest of the body straight and parallel to the ground. Your legs should also be kept at equal distances along the motion, the knees straight and not inward or too outward.
Keeps the position above at least one second by contracting the most that you can the glutes and the hamstring-tibialis. And then, comes back down quietly and starts again. If you are using a bench, you can not go completely and touching the buttocks to the ground. Often, thou wilt not without having to change your supports on the bench.
The hip thrust can also be performed on the ground without weight or with a large elastic held around the hips to serve as a resistance. It can also be run on one leg keeping the other leg raised, to the right and aligned with the legs working. Do one leg at a time with a weight or an elastic band.
3. For an upper body firm and defined: the pull up and the press
Gone are the flabby arms, the shoulders flates and the lack of strength in the arms… Say hello to a strong back and cut, toned arms and a firm chest!
The best exercises for a beautiful upper body
- The pull up and chin up
- The push up
- The rowing,
- The bench press,
- The shoulder press, push press,
- The handstand,
- Voltage dips,
- Back extension…
In order to cover the whole of the upper body (whereas the deadlift presented above also covers the whole of the back), the three exercises presented here will be the pull up, push up and shoulder press.
How well do the pull up
Place your hands on a bar to pull up to a width a little wider than your shoulders.
To the position hanging, arms outstretched fully, breathing in, contract the shoulder blades and pulls the chest towards the bar. To engage the shoulder blades, keep the shoulders down and concentrate on pulling the bar down to the bottom. Elbows to the back, the buttocks and the abdominals tight throughout the movement. Led your chin above the bar.
Exhaling, control your descent so that it is slower than the rise and until your arms are again outstretched. Then, starts all over again.
How to perform the push up
From the knees on the ground or on the feet according to your ease. The hands are in a triangle in order to work more the triceps, shoulder-width apart to work in general (poirtrine and triceps) and a little wider to work more of the chest. Keep the body straight and the arms extensionnés.
Go down the body until the chest touches the ground. Always keep the body straight. If the back tends to arch, put you on the knees. If your hands are close together or shoulder-width apart, keep the arms along the body when you go. If your hands are larger, put your arms perpendicular to your body.
Go back to the position of the initial te pushing on your hands and engaging the chest and arms. Keep the body straight and the shoulders back. And then starts all over again.
The push up with the hands wide to work much more the chest but also works the arms. The push up with the hands taped together or at a distance of shoulders, arms along the body, working more of the triceps for stronger arms.
You can also do the push up on free weight, or between two small blocks to go lower. You can do the feet-elevated for more resistance. The hands or feet on a basketball to work on the stability, or only a foot or a leg and alternating, or feet on a ball and the hands on another for a higher level of difficulty… The possibilities are endless!
How well do the press above the head
Standing or Sitting on a bench with or without backrest. A dumbbell in each hand and resting on your thighs. The palms of the hands face-to-face. Using your thighs, sent the dumbbells one at a time over each shoulder. Your arms should be bent and your hands on each side of the head. Positioning the palms of the hands forward. OR, with a bar, hands shoulder-width apart, led-the to your shoulders with a clean, or go directly to a squat rack.
The first climb (with the weights) may require the assistance of another person, if you put more heavy, since it starts lower. Request-the before you position your weight in the previous step. Then, take your inspiration, and pushes the weights towards the ceiling, releasing your breath. Stretch the arms at the top.
In the drawing, control your descent so that it is slower than the rise and until your hands are level with your ears. And then, back while exhaling. Starts all over again.
4. The best exercises for a flat tummy: crunches and its variations
To see away the fat and reveal a flat stomach with a few lines well defined, the crunches are the exercises of abs par excellence. In combination with a good diet plan!
The best exercises for the abs
- The crunches on the ground, simple,
- The crunches on a bench declined or with weights to make them more difficult,
- The crunches vertical (legs folded on a high bar and head down),
- of crunches on a ball, swiss,
- of crunches with a wheel with handles facing the ground
How to properly perform a crunch on the ground
Lay down on your back, knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Place your hands behind the head or slightly to the sides, keeping your elbows on each side. Do not push on your head with your hands during the movement.
Exhaling and sinking to the bottom of your back into the floor to better isolate your abdominal muscles. And then, begins to take off the shoulders of the ground, sending elbows to the top. Getting the most possible the abdominal muscles while exhaling all your breath. Off the shoulders as possible while keeping the bottom of your back pressed into the floor. Take one to two seconds at the top.
Breathing in, come down slowly to return to the initial position. Then, start with slow movements and controlled.
Be fit and well in a healthy body!
For fitness programs and muscle building, fast and efficient, which include all the best exercises in order to:
- To lose weight to be well and happy in your skin,
- Strengthen your body to feel beautiful and alluring, even in a bikini!
- Have more esteem in being an example for others,
- Be comfortable to wear clothing that you really like,
- You will have more energy for projects and challenges,
- Or just take care of yourself now to take advantage of the beautiful moments in family for a long time!
Try the workout programs FemmeFit and see the difference!
Number of sets, repetitions and duration of rest between sets, year-by-year
Finally, it is nice to know what exercise to prioritise, but how to form-t-on training with it?
So simple, you can aim for 3 to 5 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions, with rest between 30 to 90 seconds, depending on your goal.
- Reps of 12 or more, 30 seconds (and less): Cardio, muscular endurance, weight loss.
- Repetitions of 8 to 12, 60-second:- Building and firming up muscle tone.
- Repetitions of 8 or less, 90 seconds (and more): muscle Building, physical strength.
More precisely, here is a summary table of the number of repetitions, sets, rest time and intensity recommended depending on the purpose of the training.
Note that a program may include training in different areas of the lens, for the same training day. It can also use the features of all the areas of goals short of a week.
- Day 1: strength Exercises (2 Reps on the minute for 10 minutes = EMOM 10) – Exercises of force maximum (5×5 Reps, 90-120 seconds rest, 10 minutes) – Circuit training in strength and muscle endurance, cardio (3 to 5 years 8 to 20 repetitions performed 3 to 5 times each 15 to 40 minutes)
- Day 2: 2 x Superset for hypertrophy, firming and tone (2 exercises 6 to 12 reps, without rest in between, rest 60 to 90 seconds after the second exercise, 3 to 5 sets of each superset. Total of 6 to 10 sets, 15 to 20 minutes) – HIIT (training of an interval of high intensity), Cardio at high intensity (20 to 30 minutes)
- Day 3: …
Activation and Stretching
Activation – Warming; Before every workoutto avoid injury and prepare your body for what is coming.
1. 5 to 10 minutes of light cardio (bike, jogging, rope dancer…) or 2 to 3 rounds a small routine like the following:
2. Stretching exercises dynamic:
Stretching; After each workout, to decrease to have the muscles sore and tense.
1. 5 to 10 minutes of a routine of static stretches:
Finally, the exercises presented here are not only good movements to transform your physique and strengthen your muscles. But, they are part of those who should come back often in your training programs.
Because, by engaging more muscle fibers, stimulating your metabolism and allowing for greater resistance, you sculpteras your figure more quickly.
Of course, a suitable diet is not to be neglected. 😉
If you have not already done so, download this bodybuilding program free for women to be fit and firm (tips depending on your goal):
If you have found this article useful, please share it with your friends! 🙂