FANCY becoming a coupon king or queen?
We spoke to Holly Smith — founder of Facebook page Extreme Couponing and Bargains UK, star of BBC documentary Asperger’s Money- saver and UK record-holder for the biggest supermarket shop using coupons.
Holly, 32, who lives near Great Yarmouth, in Norfolk, with her husband Callum and kids Mollie-Rose, seven, and Bella-Marie, five, reckons couponing is easier than people think.
She says: “Get past the piles of paper, and first-shop nerves, and you will wonder why you didn’t start years ago.”
Here are Holly’s top five tips for beginning your journey to coupon royalty . . .
- Know where to look. First things first, you need your coupons. Save yourself time spent hunting for them, by checking out sites such as caringeveryday.co.uk,
victoria.co.uk and supersavvyme.co.uk.
Holly says: “These update with new coupons on a regular basis.”
- Be organised. You will soon be in chaos if not prepared. Holly says: “Get yourself a binder or travel wallet you can sort coupons into, as this will help you to keep track of what you have.” Organise by expiry date so you know which offers end first.
- Plan your trip. Before you hit the checkout, calculate your subtotal before and after your coupons are taken off, to work out the sum you will have to pay at the end.
Holly says: “This will make that first coupon checkout a whole lot less stressful, as you are right on top of what you are paying.”
- Expect the unexpected. Things do not always run smoothly at the checkout. Issues can occur, especially if the cashier is new to their job.
Holly says: “To try and prevent these problems, I have every supermarket’s coupon policy — found on the official website of each supermarket — bookmarked on my phone to show the cashier if required.”
- Know your coupon rules. Be careful to read the small print on every coupon. This saves the embarrassment of having to return items to the shelves because you did not know the T&Cs. For example, is it one coupon per purchase or one per transaction? Can you use multiple coupons?
Holly says: “You can never be too prepared when it comes to being a coupon king or queen.”
To see Holly’s couponing in action, just visit youtube.com/hollyvlogsofficial.
SLIP into a floral bikini from Kaleidoscope for £38, a snip compared with this Zimmerman one for £230.
My Sun Savers fiver
KOULLA ANASTASIADES, from Northampton, says: “I’m going on holiday to Great Yarmouth with my family so will be spending my Sun Savers fivers on a meal out for them.”
- Send your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Reader’s saving tip
CONNOR MCGUIRE, from Cleethorpes, Lincs, says: “When you get birthday cards, cut up the colourful envelopes into squares and clip together for memo pads/notepapers. Cut up the cards to use as gift tags.”
- Send us your tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Deal of the day
SNAG two funky beach towels for £6 from studio.co.uk. Usually £3.99 each. Valid on selected towels when you see the special offer symbol.
Save a fiver
TREAT yourself to a tipple of Whitley Neill Blood Orange Gin from Ocado. Now £21.00, was £26.00.
Win a caravan worth over £45,000
SUPER Sun Savers is giving readers the chance to own a fabulous holiday home.
One lucky winner will be able to enjoy getaways at a luxury two-bedroom caravan — worth more than £45,000.
This amazing prize also includes a year’s pitch fees, one year’s payment for water rates, two years’ electricity, gas and insurance and even a TV.
Plus, the winner can pick the site for their fabulous caravan from 31 Haven Holidays parks across the UK. Head to sunoffers.co.uk/caravan for more details.
To enter, download the Sun Savers app or register at sunsavers.co.uk. Already a member? Don’t forget to update your app in the app store.
Collect TEN Sun Savers codes via the app or online at sunsavers.co.uk before Tuesday, August 7.
Each code also counts towards your free Sun Savers fiver.
The competition closes on Monday, August 20. A winner will be chosen at random.
- T&Cs apply. Code collect. See here for full T&Cs. 18+
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Today’s code is on Page 20. Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
most read in money
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.