EMMA DREW has made a full-time business out of being a money-saver – and she thinks you could do it too.
The 30-year-old went from being a jobless graduate to founding EmmaDrew.info, named the best money-making blog of the year in 2017.
She and husband Tony, 31, are now about to take on the firm’s first employees, and have just moved into a new office — exciting times for a couple who have struggled in the past.
These are her tips to becoming a full-time money-saver:
- Start small. Emma found herself broke after graduating during the recession and being unable to find a job in her field of youth work. She says: “I had to make money somehow so I started doing online surveys and selling my unwanted bits on eBay, and my goal was to just make £10 a day, so £300 a month. I felt like that was quite an achievable amount.” She then started blogging about her quest to save money — which eventually went on to be full-time job for both herself and her husband.
- Be supermarket savvy. Emma works out meal plans, then visits the cheapest stores and finds yellow- sticker bargains. She says: “Go into your kitchen, see what you have and plan your meals around that. We mostly shop in Aldi as we’ve found there’s actually quite a big difference to the other supermarkets. Look out for things you can freeze that will last a few days.”
- Be persistent. Emma blogged for five years before she was able to give up her day job as a website administrator in November 2015. Her husband kept his job for a few months longer as a safety net before he joined the site full-time as well.
- Save when you can. Emma graduated from uni with £15,000 worth of credit card debt. To pay it back, she saved in little chunks, a technique she continues to use when saving up for something. She says: “I learned this little trick. You take an amount of money as a goal — let’s say £1,000 — and you divide it by 100, so £10. That’s how I would tackle it, saving one per cent of my goal at a time — £10 at a time in this case. So if I was going to have a takeaway, I’d think about how many of my one per cents I could tick off. “I still do it now with £1,000 a time because it’s just easier to do — £10 is a nice number.”
- Stay authentic. If you want to start a career in money-saving, think about what drove your interest — such as having been in debt yourself — and make that your focus. She believes: “If you’re genuine and your reasons for doing it are to help other people — and that is your primary focus — then I believe everyone can succeed.”
Reader's saving tip
PETER DICKENS, from Stoke-on-Trent, says: “When your pickled onion jar is empty, do not throw the vinegar away.
Peel and chop an onion and put it in the jar to pickle – in a couple of days it will taste lovely.”
- Tell us your tips at sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Deal of the day
SNAG a new scent with The Fragrance Shop’s half price holiday savings offers. Pick up Emporio Armani Diamonds, was £70, now £48.
Be quick as deal ends on Thursday.
SIP two bottles of Lambrini 1.5L from Tesco for £5. Usually £3 each.
Double bubbles will save you a quid, which is Perry nice[/caption]
Shop & save
CHANGE things up with Double Dutch premium mixers from Ocado.
Mix and match two four-packs for £5. Usually £3-£3.19 each.
SAVE: Up to £1.38
My Sun Saver's fiver
GILLIAN McKINNEY, of Birmingham, says: “I spend mine on my Hospice Lottery.
“It helps a good cause – and I have a chance of winning, too.”
- Tell us your Savers fiver stories at sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Win a caravan worth over £45,000
FANCY your own luxury holiday home? Enter our fantastic Sun Savers competition and you could win a stunning two-bedroom caravan.
As well as the caravan, one lucky reader will win a year’s pitch fees, one year’s payment for water rates, two years’ electricity, gas and insurance and even a TV — worth more than £45,000.
Plus, the winner can pick the site for their fabulous caravan from 31 Haven Holidays parks across the UK. Head to sunoffers.co.uk/caravan for more details.
To enter, download the Sun Savers app or register at sunsavers.co.uk. Already a member? Don’t forget to update your app in the app store.
Collect TEN Sun Savers codes via the app or online at sunsavers.co.uk before Tuesday, August 7.
Each code also counts towards your free Sun Savers fiver. Today’s Sun Savers code is on page 18.
The competition closes on Monday, August 20. A winner will be chosen at random.
- T&Cs apply. Code collect. See here for full T&Cs. 18+
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Today’s code is on Page 18. Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
most read in money
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.