Two 13-year-old boys were rushed to hospital after eating sweets laced with suspected cannabis as police issued an urgent warning to parents in the area.
The teenagers, from Wallasey, Merseyside, were hospitalised and had to receive urgent treatment after they became more seriously ill yesterday.
Police were made aware of the incident at 1.10pm on Friday. Two others had tasted the sweets but not swallowed them.
Merseyside Police have seized the remaining sweets, nicknamed ‘Cannaburst’ and ‘Chuckles’, and are now urging parents and young people to remain vigilant.
Merseyside Police seized the cannabis-laced sweets, branded as ‘Cannaburst’ and ‘Chuckles’, after two 13-year-old boys ate some and were hospitalised
While no-one has ever died as a direct result of cannabis, users or those who have never taken the drug can misjudge doses, especially when eating it, and suffer side effects like vomiting and panic attacks (stock picture)
While no-one has ever died as a direct result of cannabis, users or those who have never taken the drug can misjudge doses, especially when eating it, and suffer side effects like vomiting and panic attacks.
Police have now issued a warning to parents and said children caught with the weed sweets will be referred to them.
Previously, experts warned that although the products may come within professional packaging, they should never be assumed to be safe nor legal.
On some websites that say they stock ‘Cannaburst gummies’, the weed sweets are advertised as giving you ‘the best trip possible’.
While others advertising ‘Chuckles’ say the gummies make for ‘delicious and potent cannabis edibles’.
Detective Sergeant Nick Glascott-Tull said: ‘We’re pleased to have removed these drugs from the community, and will continue to investigate this and similar incidents.
‘Worryingly, these drugs are clearly designed to appeal to younger people.
‘We are asking that all parents and carers are vigilant if coming across them, and ensure they don’t not get into the hands of children as they could be mistaken for ordinary sweets.
‘While we believe these sweets contain cannabis, there is no way for people to be sure what other chemicals or drugs could be contained in a product being sold illegally, which could lead to side effects, serious illness or worse.
‘If you see drugs similar to those pictured, or have any information, come forward and we will do the rest.’
Anybody with information on the suspected storage or supply of drugs, please contact us via our social media desk via Twitter @MerPolCC or Facebook ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’.
Cannabis is illegal for recreational use in the UK, although it can be prescribed for medicinal purposes.
Some MPs have also said recently they believe the drug could become fully legalised in just a few years.
Sweet but dangerous: How cannabis infused treats have become a craze among teenagers
Cannabis infused sweets have become the latest craze among teenagers with authorities warning parents that they pose a serious danger because of their strength and if consumed to excess.
Known as ‘edibles’ they are freely available on the internet for around £20 for a packet of 30.
But street dealers are selling individual sweets for as little as £1 each, prompting a surge in popularity amongst school pupils, particularly in London and other urban areas.
The ‘edibles’ are attractively packaged in a way designed to appeal to young people while making it difficult to distinguish them from regular sweets.
One London schoolgirl told MailOnline: ‘All the kids are taking them, during school time and outside of it. They’re easy to get hold of and they’re very cheap, especially if you get them off the dealers. If you buy them on the internet, they’re delivered to your house.’
The ‘sweets’ come in a variety of different strengths of THC – the active component in cannabis, ranging from 75mg to a mind-bending 300mg, which can cause vomiting and other side effects.
Concerns have been raised however, that not all the packaging contains adequate information as to their strength and simply state ‘infused with cannabis.’
Some of the ‘sweets’ market themselves as a health treatment with one British website claiming: ‘Eating marijuana works better for LONG LASTING pain relief muscle spasms and similar conditions.’
Amongst the ‘edibles’ it lists are: Gummie Bears; Cherry Candy; Watermelon Rings and Peach Rings. THC laced fruit syrup is also available. All of it comes in stylised, colourful packaging.
While it is illegal to sell items containing THC in the UK for recreational purposes, it is legal for medical reasons, providing a dangerous loophole which many youngsters and dealers are exploiting.
Earlier this year, police warned children against eating watermelon-flavour sweets laced with cannabis.
They warned that the cartoon-covered Stoner Patch packets did not contain details about how strong the ‘sweets’ are and whether or not they are legal.
North Yorkshire PC Lauren Green said: ‘We want to make parents and carers aware that we have seen a rise in young people being in possession of drug-infused sweets known as “edibles”.
‘They can look very similar to well-known sweets such as Haribo, Smarties and chocolate bars. Edibles can be laced with illegal drugs such as cannabis and MDMA.
‘Unregulated sweets like these are dangerous as we don’t know what levels of drugs they contain.’