The sister of disgraced footballer Adam Johnson was today seen arriving at his home alongside a van full of wine, as family celebrations continue following his release from prison.
Faye Johnson, who defended her brother with a #TeamAJ Facebook campaign after his 2016 conviction, was pictured being driven to the 31-year-old footballer’s seven-bedroom mansion, located in an upmarket village in County Durham, this afternoon.
It comes just days after she was seen with ‘welcome home balloons’, amid reports she had been planning a party for her brother to celebrate his release from prison on Friday.
And also today, a Majestic Wine van was spotted outside the Johnson home – which has a bowling alley, swimming pool and football nets in the back garden.
Faye Johnson was pictured being driven to the 31-year-old footballer’s home, located in an upmarket village in County Durham, this afternoon
Faye (pictured today) had reportedly been planning a party for him and was this week seen buying ‘welcome home’ balloons at a local shop
A Majestic Wine van was spotted outside Johnson’s home today, as family celebrations continue following his release from prison
Police were also visible outside the Johnson home today, with the footballer now subject to strict licence conditions, including keeping in touch with a supervisor and living permanently at his address
She is just one of a number of visitors to the former Sunderland winger’s home, with his father, Dave Johnson, telling MailOnline on Friday: ‘We are glad to have him home.’
Also visible outside the Johnson home today was a police van, with the footballer now subject to strict licence conditions, including keeping in touch with a supervisor and living permanently at his address.
The former Sunderland winger, now 31, served just half of the six-year sentence behind bars. He was jailed for grooming, kissing and touching a 15-year-old fan.
He remains on licence and, as part of his release conditions, he will no longer be permitted to spend time alone with his daughter.
Johnson’s seven-bedroom home is said to have a bowling alley, swimming pool and football nets in the back garden.
He lives 100 yards away from his his father and mother, Sonia. His sister Faye also lives in the village.
The home Johnson shared with his ex girlfriend Stacey Flounders and their daughter Ayla at the time of his arrest has since been bought by cricketer Ben Stokes.
It comes just days after she was seen with ‘welcome home balloons’, amid reports she has been planning a party for her brother
Johnson’s father, Dave Johnson, drove him away from HMP Moorland just after midnight and his van (pictured) later arrived at the footballer’s home in an upmarket village in County Durham
Johnson has returned to his £2million seven-bedroom mansion ahead of a planned party
Johnson’s sister supported him throughout his 2016 trial, and in the months after, launching a campaign to appeal his conviction of child sex offences after grooming a 15-year-old girl.
She also sparked appeals on Facebook and Twitter using the phrase ‘Justice for Johnson’ and the hashtag #TeamAJ.
But Johnson, who once played for England, now faces an uphill battle to try to resurrect his football career, after all of the football league clubs in the area of his home told the Mail they would not contemplate signing him.
It is understood Johnson had to meet with probation workers yesterday. He has not been issued with a criminal tag but will be subject to strict licence conditions, including keeping in touch with a supervisor and living permanently at his address.
He will only be allowed to take up work if his supervisor approves it, and police will examine any overseas travel plans before he is allowed to leave the UK.
Johnson will also have more stringent conditions under the terms of the sex offenders’ register, which he will sign for at least 15 years.
Johnson’s ex Stacey Flounders looked happy as she headed to the gym today. She has previously said she is pleased their daughter will see him again
Stacey Flounders supported Johnson during his trial. They are pictured together in 2016
As well as not being permitted to see his daughter or other children unsupervised, he will have to hand over his bank card in order to prevent him accessing paid-for porn sites.
A neighbour said: ‘He has been a stupid boy but he has served his time in prison and he’s entitled to start again. What he did was very foolish of course but there are much worse crimes committed.’
Children’s charity the NSPCC said on Friday that Johnson’s case had helped bring about an implementation of laws against grooming.
The charity’s Head of Policy Almudena Lara said: ‘Johnson bombarded his victim with crude, sexual messages and a gaping loophole meant it was legal for him to do so. He used his explicit messages to groom her, then he went on to meet and sexually assault her.
‘After the NSPCC campaigned for Government to fix this dangerous flaw, ministers finally made online grooming illegal in 2017 and now any adult who sends a child sexual messages will feel the full force of the law.
‘More than 5,000 grooming crimes have since been recorded by police in England and Wales. Now people like Johnson can no longer get away with sending school children sexual messages.’
Johnson (pictured) will only be allowed to take up work if his supervisor approves it, and police will examine any overseas travel plans before he is allowed to leave the UK
Johnson was jailed at Bradford Crown Court in 2016 for engaging in sexual activity with a besotted 15-year-old fan in 2016.
He admitted kissing the girl but denied her claim that he touched her inside her pants and that she then performed oral sex on him.
A jury found him guilty of sexual activity with a child in relation to ‘digital penetration’ but cleared him of the same offence relating to the oral sex.
He had already admitted another charge of sexual activity with a child in relation to kissing and also of grooming the girl.
The judge said Johnson had lied repeatedly, referring to the controversy over whether he delayed his guilty pleas to enable him to continue his £60,000-a-week career with Sunderland.
His trial heard that he deleted 800 messages between him and his victim, who he is also banned from contacting.
Johnson (pictured while on trial in 2016), who once played for England, now faces an uphill battle to try to resurrect his football career, after all of the football league clubs in the area of his home told the Mail they would not contemplate signing him
Johnson will now have to wait 15 years before he can apply to come off the sex offenders register.
He has also been told that football leagues clubs will not go near him after Sportsmail contacted the clubs of his local area in Durham.
Not one of the League One or League Two clubs within a daily commute of Johnson’s home in County Durham said they would consider speaking to him.
One chief executive said he could not envisage any Football League club offering the 31-year-old a way back into the game given the nature of his conviction and the backlash it would cause.
Sportsmail also discovered that Johnson will be denied the chance of a payday in China because of strict visa requirements to work in the country.
In a leaked video from his time in prison, he said that he had more hope of reviving his playing career abroad, and the likes of the Chinese Super League have been mooted.
Back in January Johnson’s sister Faye tweeted that she ‘can finally say my brother is coming home this year’.
Johnson is set to remain under licence conditions until the conclusion of his full jail term in 2022.
Adam Johnson case: A timeline
December – Johnson and his victim start exchanging messages online. She tells him she has only just turned 15.
17 January – Johnson’s first meeting with the girl where he signs two football shirts for her.
30 January – Johnson meets girl for a second time. He says they kissed, she alleges more serious sexual activity took place.
Johnson picked up the girl in his black Range Rover in 2015 after sending her messages
25 February – Girl hoped to meet Johnson but he pulls out saying he can’t leave home. Girls tells parents about their meetings.
26 February – Girl and her mother go to police.
2 March – Johnson is arrested at his home on suspicion of having sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl. Player is suspended from playing pending the outcome of a police investigation.
18 March – His bail is extended and his suspension from playing for his club is lifted.
4 May – Johnson, his lawyer and his father hold meeting with the club telling them that he has confessed to messaging the 15-year-old and kissing her. He continues to be allowed to play.
24 May – Sunderland avoid relegation and Johnson heads off on stag-do to Dubai.
3 June – Johnson formally pleads not guilty to three counts of sexual activity with a child and another count of grooming at Durham Crown Court.
Johnson ran into court ahead of his sentencing three years ago
6 February – Johnson plays his final game for Sunderland, scoring and throwing his shirt into the crowd.
10 February – Johnson pleads guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child and one count of grooming.
11 February – Sunderland sack Johnson.
12 February – Player’s trial begins.
2 March – Johnson is found guilty of sexual activity with a 15-year-old
24 March – Johnson is jailed for six years.
16 March -Johnson loses an appeal against his conviction.
22 March – Johnson is released from prison half-way through his sentence.