SIXTEEN kids have reportedly developed “werewolf syndrome” after taking contaminated medication in Spain’s Costa del Sol.
The youngsters were being given omeprazole, which is used to treat acid reflux and indigestion, as part of a formula.
But health officials have said that the medicine was tainted with minoxidil – an alopecia remedy, according to local reports.
It’s caused the children to develop hypertrichosis – a rare condition that causes excessive hair growth anywhere on the person’s body.
The Spanish Agency for Medicines and Health Products has ordered that several batches from Farma-Química Sur SL, were withdrawn from circulation on July 11.
It’s believed that the Malaga-based pharmaceuticals company imported the affected meds from India.
According to the Granada Hoy, health bosses have confirmed that the item was contaminated at its original source.
Most of the affected batch – from lot 11072/10/42 – is now said to have been recalled and any missing packets are being tracked down.
But parents are being warned to seek medical help if their child has been given the formula and check with the pharmacy to see if they purchased from the contaminated lot.
MORE ON CASE REPORTS
They’re also advised to take them to a doctor immediately if they’ve noticed an excessive hair growth after consuming omeprazole.
Spanish authorities note however that the issue is isolated to the formulas made for children and that adults should not be concerned about developing “werewolf syndrome” after taking omeprazole capsules.
Health sources told El Pais also said that when the babies stopped taking the medicine their hair growth subsided.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.