Sydenham shooting – Man in 20s dies after ‘accidentally shooting himself’ on London high street ‘after bullet bounced off car window’

A MAN has died after reportedly accidentally shooting himself when a bullet he fired bounced off a car window and hit him.

Horrified bystanders watched on as the man, in his 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene on Sydenham Road in Lewisham, South London, at around 3.45pm yesterday.

London News Pictures

Witnesses said a bullet bounced off the window of the car[/caption]

London News Pictures

Pictures showed the window shattered but not broken[/caption]

Eye-witnesses described seeing the man lying motionless in front of a black Peugeot as a friend tried to revive him.

One witness said the intended target stood over the man filming as he lay fatally wounded.

Two men wearing balaclavas are then said to have shouted ‘He shot himself, he f****ing shot himself,’ before fleeing the scene.

Desperate paramedics fighting to save him at the scene but he was pronounced dead five minutes later.

A 56-year-old woman who witnessed the incident, said: “He came to shoot someone else, but he ended up shooting himself.

“The bullet bounced off a car window. You can see on the car window where the bullet bounced off it.


Did you witness the attack? Contact Sun Online on 0207 782 4368 or e-mail tips@the-sun.co.uk


“After it happened, the boy he came to shoot stood there filming him.”

A shopkeeper on the high street said: “A group of guys were sitting in a car by the [Lloyds] bank and a big guy came up to them with a shotgun.

“They all got out of the car and ran so the guy decided to damage the car with the back of the gun.

“As he was hitting the windows the gun went off and he shot himself – that’s what we’ve been told.”

The Metropolitan Police said no arrests have yet been made and that a police presence remained at the scene.

Police were given extra stop and search powers through a Section 60 order, running from 5pm on Sunday to 7am on Monday in seven local wards.

BLOODY LONDON GANG CRIME RAGES ON

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said last month he was determined to tackle rising levels of knife crime amid the impression of a growing “culture of insolence” among “thugs” who believed they could act with impunity.

Mr Johnson pledged to extended police stop and search powers and also said the government would be investing £2.5 billion in creating 10,000 new prison places.

Last year was London’s bloodiest in 10 years as the death toll reached 135, and if the current trend continues this year it could beat that harrowing number.

The knife crime epidemic has become so huge some schools will be forced to install knife arches, and teachers are constantly on the watch for dangerous blades.

Hospitals in the capital treat 21 people a day for knife wounds and other injuries from assault, official figures showed earlier this year.

Last week, Sun Online revealed London’s knife-crime epidemic was scaring off tourists.

Statistics from VisitBritain show the number of overseas travellers who came to London between January and March this year dropped by 5.3 per cent, compared to the number who arrived in 2017.

London News Pictures

A forensics event could be see near the vehicle[/caption]

PA:Press Association

Horrified shoppers witnessed the attack in Sydenham[/caption]

PA:Press Association

Police were called at around 3.45pm on Sunday[/caption]

 

PA:Press Association

Forensics officers at the scene as an investigation was launched[/caption]

Link

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *