WHEN it comes to saving money, it is often a case of the more the merrier.
Clubbing together with others can save you cash on meals, train travel, hotel bookings and more.
Team up with your friends to make big savings on everything from groceries to footwear[/caption]
Four experts told me how they team up to keep costs down.
- Megan Fire, of the ashleighmoneysaver.co.uk website, says: “When planning group trips, search websites like Groupon and Wowcher in advance. They have a fantastic array of events and accommodations at discounted group prices — everything from family attractions to great restaurants and spa days.” Book a Low-Impact Paintball Day & Lunch for ten people for just £10 at wowcher.co.uk.
- Travel blogger Lucy Dodsworth, of ontheluce.com, says: “Save money on days out with a Family & Friends Railcard, which costs £30 for a year. It offers up to 60 per cent off kids fares and up to a third off adult fares. National Rail does a GroupSave deal which offers parties of three to nine adults a third off off-peak tickets when travelling together.” An off-peak return from Ramsgate to Brighton for four adults — usually £58.90pp (total £235.60) costs just £38.90pp with GroupSave (£155.60), saving £80 in total.
- Laura Light, of savings4savvymums. co.uk, says: “Cooking food with nearby friends or family is a great way to save. When cooking for more than ten, it doesn’t cost much for an extra couple of cans of beans, say, to bulk out a meal. Cook just once in a working week yourself, yet enjoy a fresh meal each evening.” For an after-meal treat for everyone, get 30 packs of mini McVities biscuits for £3.99, or 13p a pack, at easho.co.uk.
- Jane Berry, of shoestringcottage.com, says: “Set up a WhatsApp group for friends to save money. Members can share Halloween or fancy-dress costumes and ask for money-saving advice.” When kids outgrow school uniforms, swap items with another family.
Deal of the day
GET a free Beautycard at Superdrug and save 20 per cent on all fragrances until tomorrow. Ghost Eclipse Gift Set (30ml) was £25, now £20.
PICK up a Leek & Potato, Chicken & Mushroom or Steak & Kidney Pukka Pie for £1 at Morrisons. Was £1.65.
My Sun Savers fiver
Carol Richardson, from Scunthorpe, says: “I’ll use mine for an extra birthday present for my daughter Elise. Her GCSE results were awesome. So proud!”
- Send your Savers fiver story to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and get 28 codes, worth £5, if we print it. Include your name and town.
LOOK the part with these pearl-studded boots from Deichmann, saving you a bundle on the Dune pair.
Reader’s saving tip
BILL GOOSTER, from Mauchline, Ayrshire, says: “Save even more with your Sun newspapers by shredding them for your pets’ bedding.”
- Send your money-saving suggestions to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and get 28 codes, worth £5, if we print yours. Please include your name and where you live.
Shop & save
GET a tasty 20 per cent off Dip In Brilliant’s cookbook with code DIPIN20. See dipinbrilliant.com. Was £20, now £16.
Hot right now
ALDI’S McQueen Colour Changing Gin is back for £19.99. Chin-chin!
Win £1,000 to pay your energy bills
WITH the nights drawing in and temperatures dropping, keeping on top of your bills can be tough – and expensive.
But don’t worry because Sun Savers is giving you the chance to win one of five prizes of £1,000 to help pay towards your energy bills and ease the strain at this costly time of year.
For a chance to win, collect FIVE Sun Savers codes from those we are printing daily until Sunday, October 28. The first was in yesterday’s paper today’s is on Page 16.
Once you have your five Sun Savers codes, go to the Sun Savers app or sunsavers.co.uk to enter them.
Lastly, click “Enter” on the “Win Your Bills” page by midnight on Monday, November 5.
Not already a Sun Savers member? Head to sunsavers.co.uk or download the free app to get started.
Don’t forget to also check out our Sun Savers page in the paper every day, for great tips on how to spend less and pocket more.
TERMS & CONDITIONS: Collect FIVE Sun Savers codes from the eight printed in The Sun between Sunday, October 21 and Sunday, October 28, 2018. Last chance to join in is Wednesday, October 24.
Competition closes at 23:59pm on Monday, November 5. Over-18s, residents of the UK only. One entry per person. Winners will be selected at random from all valid entries.
There will be FIVE winners of 1 x £5,000 cash. Allow seven days from entry closing for the draw to take place. Winner will then be notified within 14 days. Please allow 28 days for receipt of prize. Prize is non-transferable. Your information will only be used for the purposes of this competition.
Promoter is News Group Newspapers Ltd. Not open to staff of the Promoter and promotional partner or their families. The winners will be asked to participate in reasonable publicity relating to this competition.
The Editor’s decision is final.
For a list of winners, please send a stamped, addressed envelope to: News UK, Competitions Department, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF stating which competition you would like the winners’ details.
The Sun Superdays
GRAB two FREE tickets to the brand new attraction – The Bear Grylls Adventure – worth up to £40 with Sun Superdays.
You will get access to the Basecamp at The Bear Grylls Adventure, at Birmingham’s NEC.
Here your guides will inspire you, push you and support you through four nerve-racking challenges.
Including, target archery, break out escape room, survival maze and assault course.Mental grit is a skill you need as you prepare for adventure.
Test your limits as you take on the ultimate Survival maze. Sharpen your mind and you’ll find the inner strength to overcome anything.
When faced with a challenge, you will keep your nerve. Find out what you are really made of and survive the maze.
When you crack the four Basecamp challenges you’ll be more than ready to take on one of our hero challenges – Dive, Fly, Climb or take on some seriously High Ropes.Hero activities cost extra, but as Sun readers you can grab some unmissable offers.
Escape the ordinary and push yourself to achieve the remarkable at The Bear Grylls Adventure.
To claim your FREE tickets head to the Sun Savers app or sunsavers.co.uk and opt-in to “The Bear Grylls Adventure” promotion found in the ‘Offers’ section.
Then, collect NINE of the 18 unique Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper until Tuesday, October 23.
Next, enter them into the Sun Savers app or website, then click ‘Redeem’. You’ll get an email with a unique code and steps on how to book a date and time at The Bear Grylls Adventure.
Not a Sun Savers member? Download the ‘Sun Savers’ app or visit sunsavers.co.uk.
- Subject to availability. 18+. T&Cs apply, see thesun.co.uk/superdays.
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Today’s code is on Page 24. Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
MOST READ IN MONEY
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash. With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.