A TEENAGE thug was caught with a huge hunting knife at a London Tube station after he launched an attack on cops.
Hamza Haddadi, 19, also assaulted a paramedic during the incident when he flew into a rage during a stop and search operation.
Haddadi, from Leyton, was sentenced to 14 months’ at a young offenders’ institution during a hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on June 5.
The youth had been stopped by the Leytonstone Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) on May 17 on the tube platform of Leytonstone tube station.
Initially Haddadi was compliant with the instructions from the cops but became agitated when PC Sam Mason and Sergeant David Johns started searching him.
During the search Sergeant Johns opened the zip of Haddadi’s hooded top and say the handle of a large hunting knife.
The teenager then tried to flee when the doors of a train opened after it had arrived at the station.
Officers tried to keep Haddadi restrained but he hit Sergeant Johns in the face.
Haddadi was eventually wrestled to the ground and handcuffed.
A number of officers suffered minor injuries during the fight.
Haddadi was searched while he was in custody and smaller switchblade knife was found down his trousers.
Superintendent Ian Brown, of the North East Area Command, appeared at the hearing to give his support to the officers.
He said: “This is a stark reminder of the kind of behaviour Met officers have to deal with on a daily basis.
“Police officers should be able to go about their jobs without fear of assault, but sadly this is not the reality.
“The body worn video was important evidence. It showed how quickly the situation escalated and how the officers detained an aggressive suspect without endangering the public, whilst remaining calm and composed throughout.
“The court rightly acknowledged the bravery and the professionalism of the officers, with the Judge stating the seriousness with which assaults on officers are viewed.
“This is a fine example of how we are taking knives and offenders off the streets, and protecting the public.
‘STOP AND SEARCH BLITZ’
“It also shows how our proactive operations directly result in convictions, and often jail sentences.”
Last month the Met Police released figures indicating the controversial policy of stop and search had led to a drop in violent crime in the last year.
Homicides fell by a quarter to 122 victims.
There was a 15 per cent reduction in stabbings of under 25s with 311 fewer people that age injured by knives in the year to April 1. The falls in London buck a national trend.
Stop and searches increased by 30 per cent to 172,000 over the same period.
At the end of last month the Home Secretary Sajid Javid said he would launch a Stop and Search “blitz” to end the continuing bloodbath if the UK’s streets.
most read in news
Theresa May radically tightened up the rules around Stop and Search in 2014 when she ran the Home Office.
More than 27 people have died from stab wounds on the streets of London this year.
2018 was London’s bloodiest in almost a decade, as the number of homicides reached 135.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.