A traumatized teen who tried to go blonde at home was left horrified after bleach melted her long locks and caused her hair to fall out in massive chunks.
After getting bored of her dark brown hair, Josie Laro decided it was time for a change – so earlier this month she purchased some bleach in the hopes of achieving the blonde hair of her dreams.
The 19-year-old from Grand Forks, North Dakota, said she had already bleached her hair twice in the past without any issues and felt very experienced with at-home hair coloring.
A traumatized teen who tried to go blonde at home was left horrified after the bleach melted her long locks and caused her hair to fall out in chunks (pictured before left and after right)
As she began running her fingers through her locks, giant chunks of melted hair (pictured) fell off her head and onto the shower floor
But this time didn’t go so smoothly, with the certified nursing assistant revealing that she first realized something was wrong when she started feeling an intense burning sensation on her scalp 20 minutes into the bleaching process.
After taking her shower cap off to check the color, Josie said she was hit with the dreadful aroma of burning hair – so she quickly jumped in the shower to wash the chemicals out.
But to her horror, as she began running her fingers through her locks, giant chunks of melted hair were falling out of her head and onto the shower floor.
In a matter of minutes, Josie’s formerly long and luscious locks had melted away and left her with a short and severely damaged head of discolored and uneven hair.
It isn’t clear if she followed the $3.99 packet’s instructions. Most hair dyes require an allergy patch test to be carried out 24 hours before.
Josie said: ‘I was really just wanting a change. I had gone dark brown in November last year and was getting really bored of it and wanted to go back to blonde.
‘I had dyed and bleached my hair in the past without any problems.
In mere minutes, Josie’s once long and shiny locks melted away at the back, leaving her with severely damaged, discolored and uneven hair that was long at the front and short at the back
The nursing assistant knew something was wrong when she felt an intense burning sensation on her scalp 20 minutes into the process. The hair at the back of her head then melted away
‘I used the same bleach and developers that I had before. I never expected anything to go wrong.
‘I have really long hair, so once I put the bleach in, I put it up into a shower cap to ensure it didn’t make a mess of everything.
‘My head started getting really hot about twenty minutes in. I took the cap off to see how light my hair had become.
‘Then I could smell my hair burning. I panicked, and realized I needed to get the bleach out straight away.
‘But as I ran my fingers through my hair, clumps started falling out and it just didn’t stop.
‘I kept screaming ‘oh my god, oh no!’. It was really traumatic, and I was freaking out.
‘It looked like a huge pile of spaghetti or noodles in the shower. I felt so sick, it was like something from a horror movie.
‘All their hair on the back side of my head fell off, but the front was the same, so it was all uneven.
‘I was just in a state of shock. Seeing your hair fall out in front of your eyes is just horrific.’
Josie says she used a brand of $4 (£3) lightener which she bought at her local drugstore
The distraught teen was so upset by the disaster that she spent three days at home in tears – but finally decided to appeal for help online in a desperate attempt to salvage her hair.
After posting her plight onto a beauty group on Facebook, Josie was contacted by a local hairdresser who was confident that she could save what was left of her hair.
And incredibly, after five hours of hard work, talented hairdresser Maleah Dawn Wilkerson from Wildflowers Salon managed to resurrect Josie’s hair and transform it into a trendy new style.
The teen said she has since learnt her lesson and has vowed to never bleach her hair again.
Josie said: ‘I went a couple of days just feeling so depressed about what I’d done. I felt so ashamed.
‘I was so upset, when I brushed my hair it was all brittle. It felt like barbie hair.
‘I lost a lot of self-esteem. I didn’t want to go out and do anything or see anyone.
Incredibly, after five hours of hard work, hairdresser Maleah Dawn Wilkerson from Wildflowers Salon managed to resurrect Josie’s hair and transform it into a trendy new style (pictured)
‘I was so proud of my hair because it was so long, and everyone always told me how healthy It was. But I’d completely destroyed it.
‘I asked for help on Facebook and a local hair stylist reached out and offered to help me. I was pretty doubtful, but I knew I had to give it a go.
‘It took five hours to fix. We used lots of serums and protein treatments.
‘I’m extremely happy with the results. Maleah was absolutely amazing and I’m forever grateful to her.
‘I thought I’d had to get it all shaved off or something. But she salvaged it.
‘My plan now is to leave it alone and just let it grow.
‘I’ll never color or bleach my hair at home again. I’ve definitely learnt my lesson.’