Teenager, 18, accused of sharing a live-stream of the Christchurch massacre faces 14 years behind bars as he’s denied bail

A TEENAGER, 18, accused of sharing a sick live-stream of the Christchurch mosques massacre in New Zealand, faces 14 years behind bars if found guilty.

The man – who cannot be named for legal reasons – wasn’t involved in Friday’s shootings, in which 50 worshippers were slain.

The 18-year-old was refused bail and remanded in custody in Christchurch
White supremacist Brenton Tarrant, above, pictured during the live-streaming
Flowers and tributes have been laid in the wake of the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand
AP:Associated Press

He appeared in court today after he was charged with distributing a live-stream of the mass shooting at the Masjid Al Noor and Linwood Nasjid mosques last week, the New Zealand Herald reported.

The teen faces charges of sharing the gunman’s live-stream and posting a photograph of one of the mosques attacked with the message “target acquired” along with other chat messages “inciting extreme violence”, the Herald said.

The maximum sentence for each of the charges against the teen is 14 years’ jail.

He was arrested last Friday, but police have since said they do not believe he was directly involved in the gun attacks in which 50 worshippers were killed.

Although his request for bail was refused, the judge granted him name suppression.

The teen was initially charged with publishing material insulting other races and ethnicities but that charge was withdrawn and replaced by the two new charges on Monday.

He is due back in court next month.

On Friday, the gunman live-streamed 17 minutes of his rampage at the Al Noor mosque, where he sprayed worshippers with bullets.

Facebook, Twitter and Google scrambled to take down the video, which was widely available on social media for hours after the bloodbath.

Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, has been charged with murder for the mosque shootings.

He appeared in court on Saturday amid strict security, shackled and wearing all-white prison garb.

Tarrant, who showed showed no emotion when the judge read one murder charge and said more would likely follow, was remanded without a plea and is due back in court on April 5.

Mourners visit makeshift memorial

Sunday saw a steady stream of mourners paying tribute at a makeshift memorial to those killed, while dozens of Muslims stood by to bury the dead when authorities finally release their loved ones’ bodies.

Hundreds of flowers have been piled up amid candles, balloons and notes of grief and love outside the Al Noor mosque.

As a light rain fell in Christchurch, people clutched each other and wept quietly.

“We wish we knew your name to write upon your heart. We wish we knew your favourite song, what makes you smile, what makes you cry,” read one of the tributes, which contained cut-out paper hearts under a nearby tree. “We made a heart for you. 50 hearts for 50 lives.”

Supporters have arrived from across the country to help with the burials, and authorities have sent in backhoes to dig graves at a site that has been fenced off and blocked from view with white netting.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said authorities hoped to release all the bodies by Wednesday, and Police Commissioner Mike Bush said officials are working with pathologists and coroners to complete the task as soon as they could.

Abdul Hakim, 56, of Auckland, was among many who have flown in to Christchurch, to help grieving families.

The family understands that it’s a crime scene… they need to be pretty thorough.

Javed Dadabhai

Hakim said: “As soon as people die, we must bury them as soon as possible. We are all here to help them in washing the body, putting them in the grave.”

Javed Dadabhai, who flew from Auckland after learning about the death of his 35-year-old cousin, Junaid Mortara, said the Muslim community was being patient.

He said: “The family understands that it’s a crime scene. It’s going to be a criminal charge… so they need to be pretty thorough.”

Bush said at a news conference that another body was found at Al Noor mosque as they finished removing the victims, bringing the number of people killed there to 42.

Another seven people were killed at Linwood mosque and one more person died later at Christchurch Hospital.

Thirty-four wounded remain at the local hospital, where officials said 12 are in a critical condition.

A four-year-old girl airlifted to a children’s hospital in Auckland was also listed as critical.

People across the country are still trying to come to terms with the massacre that Ardern described as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days.”

Police: “victims treated with utmost respect”

In a statement issued today, Canterbury Police said cops “want to assure you all that we are doing everything we can to ensure that the victims of this devastating attack are treated with the utmost respect that they deserve.

“Police on the ground in Christchurch [are] today working alongside leaders in the Muslim community to ensure those who have died are repatriated with their loved ones in a way that is consistent with the Muslim faith, while also taking into account these unprecedented circumstances and obligations to the Coroner.

“An additional 10 people, including religious leaders and welfare support, have travelled to Christchurch today to assist with cultural considerations, and to provide support for everyone who is affected by this tragedy.

“It is very early in our investigation but we are doing everything we can to prevent further harm or loss of life.

“An increased police presence remains in place in Christchurch and at mosques nationwide as a precaution.”

Police have confirmed they believe “absolutely” that only one perpetrator was responsible for the attacks during Friday prayers.

Link

(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)

Loading...

Leave a Reply