ANOTHER year, another iPhone – but the new 2018 models could boast a feature never offered by Apple before.
It’s rumoured that at least one new iPhone launched later today will be able to carry two SIM cards at once.
At 6pm tonight, Apple is expected to unveil three new iPhone models.
But two Chinese mobile networks have beaten the company to the punch.
Social posts by China Telecom and China Mobile have teased a hot new feature for the iPhone 2018, as spotted by tech site GSMArena.
Both hint that the new iPhone will have dual-SIM support, meaning they’ll be able to hold two SIM cards simultaneously.
That’s a huge deal, because it means you can have two different numbers operating on your phone at once.
For instance, if you regularly travel to another country, you could keep your UK SIM in your phone – while also stuffing in a cheap local SIM card at your destination, too.
It also means you could have your personal phone number and work phone number on the same device.
Dual SIM phones will tell you which number is being called too, so you can still ignore business calls on the weekend.
Similarly, you could buy one cheap SIM card for calls and minutes, while using a different SIM card with an excellent data tariff.
Many Android phones already offer dual SIM support, but it’s never been available on an iPhone.
New iPhones 2018 – what should you expect?
Here are the predictions from top analysts at TrendForce…
- The company plans to introduce three new iPhone models later this year
- All three models would continue to feature Face ID, and two of them would be premium versions with an AMOLED screen
- In terms of tech specs, the new iPhones may include two AMOLED versions, with a size of 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch respectively, as well as a less expensive 6.1-inch version with an LCD screen
- For the budget 6.1-inch LCD version, it will come with Face ID, Dual-SIM function, and a larger screen than its predecessor iPhone 8
- The 6.1-inch LCD model would be positioned by Apple’s main product this year, with a production share of around 50% in the new iPhone series
- As for the two premium AMOLED versions, they would both feature a memory content of 4GB
- The 6.5-inch AMOLED version would target at the premium business segment, with an extra-large screen and Dual-SIM service, but the Dual-SIM function is expected to be available only in certain regions
- All three models are expected to be shipped in September and October as previously scheduled
The bad news is that Apple hasn’t actually confirmed dual SIM support for its next iPhones.
These Chinese mobile networks may have insider info – but they may also be basing their posts in speculation.
It’s not the first time we’ve heard about Apple prepping a dual SIM iPhone, however.
Several references were made to the technology, including comments about “second SIM status”, “second SIM tray status”, and “dual SIM device”.
MOST READ IN TECH
In any case, we don’t have long to wait to find out the truth.
Later today, Apple will kick off its iPhone launch event – potentially revealing three new iPhones.
We’re also expecting a new iPad Pro, an Apple Watch 4, and maybe new AirPods wireless earbuds too.
Apple is keeping mum ahead of the big event, but The Sun will be covering all of the latest news out of California live as it happens.
What new features would you like to see from Apple’s next smartphone? Let us know in the comments!