Treasure hunters end up in hospital after prankster laced cake with cannabis

A prankster triggered a bio-hazard alert at a metal detecting convention after the treasure hunters were given chocolate caked spiked with cannabis.

Eighteen people burst into song, started dancing or collapsed on the marquee floor after a man handed out slices of his 50th birthday treat unaware it was laced with drugs.

Police said at least 15 metal detecting enthusiasts were taken ill at the event in the village of High Melton, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire, and 13 of those had to be taken to hospital.

NHS bosses deployed a Hazardous Area Response Team who are trained to respond to serious public health threats, including terrorism.

A fleet of ambulances pulled upside a marquee hosting the Coil to the Soil (CTTS) event as the drama unfolded on Saturday evening.

One victim said: ‘I Just got back from hospital and I am OK. Just got to rest for a couple of days. This is what happened to me, my colleague, and it seems 18 others.

Eighteen people burst into song, started dancing or collapsed on the marquee floor after a man handed out slices of his 50th birthday treat unaware it was laced with drugs at the event in High Melton, near Doncaster, South

Eighteen people burst into song, started dancing or collapsed on the marquee floor after a man handed out slices of his 50th birthday treat unaware it was laced with drugs at the event in High Melton, near Doncaster, South

Eighteen people burst into song, started dancing or collapsed on the marquee floor after a man handed out slices of his 50th birthday treat unaware it was laced with drugs at the event in High Melton, near Doncaster, South 

‘At the CTTS rally where we had our trade stand, I accepted some chocolate cake from a mate, his 50th, so why wouldn’t I? I don’t blame him by the way.

‘Apparently, It was made for him. However, some sick individual thought it funny to give a drug laced cake to innocent people.

‘In my case, I ate one piece of the cake, had some tea and shortly after was on the floor fighting for my life. At least, that’s how it felt and that’s what the good people administering first aid have told me.

‘Doctors tell me my reaction was extreme as I have never taken drugs of any kind before. Whoever did this is sick, sick, sick in the head. What if kids had been present?’

South Yorkshire Police said: ‘An investigation is underway after a group of people fell ill as a result of eating something reportedly containing cannabis, during an event in the High Melton area of Doncaster.

NHS bosses deployed a Hazardous Area Response Team who are trained to respond to serious public health threats, after members of the convention started suffering from the effects of the cannabis (file picture)

NHS bosses deployed a Hazardous Area Response Team who are trained to respond to serious public health threats, after members of the convention started suffering from the effects of the cannabis (file picture)

NHS bosses deployed a Hazardous Area Response Team who are trained to respond to serious public health threats, after members of the convention started suffering from the effects of the cannabis (file picture)

‘The group, of both men and women, were taken to hospital at about 7pm on Saturday 24 August. All have since been discharged.

‘A 48-year-old woman from County Durham has been arrested in connection to the incident and currently remains in police custody where she will be spoken to by detectives.’

Members of the metal detecting community have been outraged by the sick prank.

One posted on social media: ‘I cannot believe someone would be so irresponsible.

‘Up to people what they take and do, but heart or health conditions could lead to a fatality. I am honestly beyond shocked.’

A Yorkshire Ambulance Service spokesman said 15 patients were treated by ambulance at the scene and 13 of those were taken to hospitals in South Yorkshire for further care.

The spokesman said: ‘We received an emergency call just before 6.30pm on Saturday (24) to reports of a number of people feeling unwell at a national metal detecting event being held near Sprotbrough, Doncaster in South Yorkshire.

‘They had become unwell after ingesting an unknown substance.

‘Eight ambulances, a rapid response vehicle, two doctors, two clinical supervisors and the Trust’s Hazardous Area Response Team were dispatched to the scene.

‘Fifteen patients were treated by ambulance service staff on scene and 13 of those were conveyed to hospitals in South Yorkshire for further care.’  

link

(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply