TUCK into the tennis and the taste of summer this week, with juicy deals on strawberries, cream and delicious deserts.
Lob in a bit of sunshine, serve up some sparkling summer drinks, enjoy a volley of laughter and you’ll be all set. And if you are planning a party over the fortnight that Wimbledon has us glued to the action, my strawberry recipes from morrisons.com will be ace.
RAISE your glass to the tennis with these top summer tipples:
A litre bottle of Pimm’s is £10 at Morrisons (England and Wales only) until Tuesday.
Save £2 on Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference Conegliano Prosecco, now £8.
Save £1 on Les Pionniers champagne NV at the Co-op, down to £18 until July 16.
Say “cheers” with the new Garden Party Special Edition British Strawberries & Cream fruit fizz, ABV 5.5%, at Morrisons, £5.
Robinsons new Summer Strawberry, Cucumber and Mint Cordial is on special offer in Waitrose, £2 until July 16, down from £2.49.
Quench your thirst at at the same chain with two for £2.50 on Robinsons no-added-sugar orange squash, which are £1.53 each.
Heading out? Get three for £5, or £1.85 each, on cans of Pimm’s No 1 & Lemonade, at Waitrose.
GET the pick of the season with these berry good deals:
Pile up the strawberries on a huge pavlova with three great deals – a 1kg box is £4 at Morrisons
Two 400g punnets at Iceland are £3 or £2 each
While Tesco has 300g of its Finest at £2.25 or two for £3.
Save 25p on Sainsbury’s raspberries, 225g, now £1.75.
Morrisons has two for £3 on selected berries including Market Street cherries, 250g, £2 until Sunday.
Perfect for summer pudding, get three packs of Tesco Frozen Summer Berries, 500g, for £5 or £2 each.
Summer Berry Pavlova
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 6 eggs, whites only
- 405g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod; 300g strawberries, fresh, thickly sliced
- 400ml double cream
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- 100g blueberries
- 100g raspberries
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/Gas 7. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and draw a large oval on it.
- Mix the white wine vinegar and cornflour. In a separate, large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add a little of the cornflour mix and 300g of the sugar, alternating until both are incorporated. Spoon mixture inside the oval shape on the baking sheet and create a hollow in the middle, using a spoon. Place in oven, immediately turn down to 120C/100C fan/Gas ½ [half] and cook for two hours. When meringue has cooked, turn off the oven, open door slightly and let it cool totally in oven.
- Meanwhile, place the scraped-out seeds from the vanilla pod into a small saucepan with 4tbsp of the caster sugar and 4tbsp water. Bring to the boil, stirring. Place the strawberries in a bowl, pour over the syrup, stir well and leave to steep for ten minutes.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream and remaining 3tbsp sugar into soft peaks. Swirl lemon curd through and spoon into centre of meringue. Add remaining berries to strawberries, mix and spoon over the cream, with syrup.
MAKE space for a sweet treat with these deals on scones, desserts and cream:
Pile your plates high with Iceland strawberry gateau, £4. At 1.2kg, it serves 16.
Morrisons individual strawberry cheesecakes, 3 x 100g, are £1.65, or buy two for £3.
Save on Waitrose four All Butter Scones, was £1.65, now £1.32. Just add jam and clotted cream.
Save 28p on Rodda’s Cornish Clotted Cream, 227g, now £2 at Morrisons.
Tuck into Tesco fresh cream & strawberry jam scones two-pack, £1.40 or buy two [that’s four in total] for £2.
Iceland Made In Italy strawberries & cream ice cream, 900ml, £1.75, or buy two for £3.
For perfect puds, Sainsbury’s eight instore bakery meringues nests are £1, saving 25p.
Häagen-Dazs strawberries & cream ice cream at Iceland is down from £4.20 a tub to £2.50.
- 200g soft baking spread
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 80g cornflour
- 300ml whipping cream
- 200g Greek-style yoghurt
- 400g strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2. Line two baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment.
- Beat together the spread and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and cornflour gradually and mix to a pliable dough.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface and, using an 8cm round cutter, stamp out 16 circles. Lift on to the baking sheets and prick patterns on the circles with a fork.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until pale golden, remove from oven and allow to cool completely
MOST READ IN MONEY
- To assemble, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks and fold in the yoghurt.
- Lift half the shortbread circles on to a serving plate and add a dollop of the creamy mixture and the sliced strawberries. Arrange the other half of the shortbread circles on top at an angle.
- Dust with icing sugar and add a couple of whole strawberries to serve.
- GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL email@example.com