Yousef (pictured) was killed on Saturday and today a teenager accused of his murder faced court
A privately educated 17-year-old accused of murdering teenager Yousef Makki in a knife attack in Hale Barns has been granted bail by a judge.
The boy appeared for a preliminary hearing at Manchester Crown Court today.
Yousef, from Burnage, Manchester, was killed on Saturday in the leafy village while he was visiting friends.
The son of a Lebanese immigrant, he won a scholarship to attend the £12,000-a-year independent Manchester Grammar School.
The A-star pupil dreamed of becoming a heart surgeon before his life was cut short.
His alleged killer, who is from a wealthy family and cannot be identified as he is aged under 18, appeared in the dock as his mother and father sat in the public gallery. The youth is charged with both murder and possession of a blade in a public place.
Unusually, the bail application made by barrister Kate Blackwell QC was held in chambers, that is press and public were excluded from the 90-minute hearing.
Pictured: Flowers, photographs and tributes lie outside Manchester Grammar School after Yousef’s death
Yousef poses in Lebanese colours. He wanted to study medicine and become a heart surgeon
After the bail application was heard press were allowed back into court while other preliminary legal matters were dealt with ahead of a trial, scheduled for June 18. The bail conditions have not been made public.
When the court was eventually opened to the public the boy appeared emotionless in the dock, wearing grey jumper and dark blue jeans.
Prosecutor Miss Charlotte Crangle said: ‘A trial date is set for 18 June and has been identified by the court at this stage. I estimate it will last for five to seven days. The home office pathologist is available to give evidence that week. A PTPH date is set for 29 April.’
Judge David Stockdale QC initially made no mention of whether he had bailed the boy bail but said: ‘Following the decision taken earlier this morning, I understand prosecution do not appeal the decision.
‘The trial is fixed for June 18 and listed for a five to seven day estimate. The stages are set. The PTPH will be before the trial judge or before me on 29 April. I make no further direction.’
Afterwards when asked by the press for clarification, the judge then came back into court and said: ‘The factual basis for the defendant being bailed is not for public knowledge.
‘The terms of conditions under which I cannot avail due to the course of hearing in chambers, and I don’t suppose to say anything for reasoning. The bail applications was heard in chambers and I have granted bail.
‘The conditions which I have granted bail are not a matter of public knowledge nor are the reasons why. I have nothing more to say about that.’
Yesterday another youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, faced court accused of murdering Yousef in the south Greater Manchester village, which is a wealthy area popular with top footballers and celebrities.
He is also accused of possession of a silver lock-knife, while another 17-year-old boy, who has been bailed, is accused of trying to help him dispose of the weapon.
Police were alerted at around 6.40pm on Saturday to reports that a teenager had been stabbed in Hale Barns.
Officers attended the scene and Yousef was taken to hospital, where he died a short time later. Floral tributes have been left on the tree-lined street where Yousef was found.
A two-minute silence was held on Monday by pupils and staff at his school, which described him as ‘a dearly loved young man and incredibly bright pupil’ who was studying four A-levels and had aspirations to pursue a career in medicine.